“Perfect Base”

Ranked #63 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Bo'ness, United Kingdom
“Perfect Base”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This hotel is so central and near everything you would wish to see. We had what I think was called a small double but it was plenty big enough for us. There were 6 in our party in 3 rooms and we all enjoyed our stay over Memorial Day weekend. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be within walking distance of main attractions.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Aquales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 15, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed for a mom and dad's night out. The room was nice, clean, and comfortable. It was just a little on the small side. Our view however was amazing overlooking the Chicago River.

The rest of the hotel was nice and clean as well. The staff was all very friendly and helpful.

Bonus point for the free bottle water machine.

Room Tip: Get one with a river view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Great experience !!! First time in Chicago in a number of years, fun get away with friends. Pedro was helpful in getting us checked in -- great room with view of the river. Roman was most accommodating in locating a great Sunday buffet and setting us up with tickets to a fantastic boat tour. Our stay was most memorable just way too short -- We'll be back

Room Tip: 7th floor view of the river
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
USA
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We made reservations at the River Hotel for our first visit in June.
We had been to Chicago for nearly 40 years attending an industry show and decided it was time for a change from our two previous favorite hotels.
We were not prepared for the excellent care extended to us by the hotel personnel from our very friendly and efficient check in to our check out 5 days later.
We had requested a river view room and couldn't have been happier with the superb view. The furnishings were quite nice and the room was extremely quiet. We really liked having a bottled water dispenser, feee, on our floor. The staff responded quickly to any requests and always in a friendly manner.
We have already decided that this well located gem will be our new home when visiting Chicago on future trips.

Room Tip: Room 803 for the view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank FunTraveler25
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights. Check in was great, thanks to Tania who was very helpful. Used the valet parking throughout stay and enjoyed the perfect location for the parks, Michigan ave shopping and walking. We took the architectural boat tour, that was practically outside our front door. Can't beat the window views.

Stayed July 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

My trip to Chicago started out as personal with a small bit of business. As such I made all my own travel arrangements and really only needed "somewhere to sleep" as I had a jam packed itinerary. The only requirement was that I be downtown. I booked this hotel and was a tad skeptical as the rate was super affordable compared to the other downtown hotels. Long story short I booked it and didn't look back. I arrived Thursday afternoon and check-in was a breeze. I reserved the "small room, w/full size bed" so walking in I really didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. The room is exactly what they described, it is small, but don't let that deter you. It has everything you would have in a big room just compact size. (e.g. 12 inch tv, stand up shower, bathroom separates by sliding door etc) And for the rate you will not find a better deal. It's also super convenient and
located only blocks away from State street and Mag Mile for shopping. I also was in town for the annual taste and that was just a short walk to Millennium Park. It's close to all the trains so if you're coming from the airport, for $5 you can take any of the trains down to the Loop. There's a plethora of bars and restaurants right over there including one in the hotel. I didn't eat there so I can't say how it is, but it was packed every time I left so I imagine it was good. One night after a long day I canceled my evening plans and vegetated in my room. In all of it's cozy glory it became my sanctuary. So in summary, I can't wait
to stay here again. Excellent visit!

Stayed July 2014
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I booked a room for the weekend of July 25th and literally had to cancel it minutes later because of an extremely rude phone conversation with the, supposed, Guest Services Manager (Pedro G., though I doubt that was his name) . This imbecile (and I'm mean that in the most complimentary way) refused to stop over talking . Refused to transfer me to his superior, while also refusing even a minor attempt at being accommodating to my request . If this is the quality of service Club Quarters/River Hotel provides over the phone I can only imagine how unbearable my stay would've been . I'm a Chicago native/NYC transplant ... paying $200+ a night for an oversized closet is nothing new to me BUT a complete lack of service etiquette not to mention being unnecessarily rude is absolutely UNacceptable . I mean seriously .

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple