“Great Location.. Acceptable Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of River Hotel

River Hotel
Ranked #63 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
“Great Location.. Acceptable Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

My new fiance and I had a 4 night stay over Memorial Day weekend. We are saving for the wedding so we looked around for a good deal. Great location.(On Wacker between State and Michigan. A few blocks from the lake). Walking distance to EVERYTHING you would want to do in downtown Chicago. We never took a cab. Tiny room. If more than one person is staying, pay extra for a bigger room. It's really too small for 2 people to share regardless of how much they love each other.
It's clean, contemporary, and a good choice if you plan to spend the majority of your time out and about in Chicago.
Of note, it shares a lobby with Club quarters so essentially it's the same hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunkissed1908

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Burlington, VT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our first trip to Chicago. I had checked trip advisor and maps to figure out where we would want to be. So many of the large nice hotels were booked for our dates. The River Hotel had good reviews and a great location. I gave it a shot and I'm very happy. Our room was a fine size for 2 people plus we spent only sleeping time in the room. Our floor was very quiet and there was filtered water and plastic bottles to fill. That really was in a review and pushed me to make the reservation. We had a microwave and fridge. The hotel has a small restaurant. My husband had a good breakfast there 1 morning. There is a Corner Bakery Cafe 2 doors away to grab a quick bite. Everyone was super helpful with places to see and walking directions. Oh, the price cannot be beat. Glad I gave it a try.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 3goldenmom
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were given rooms at this hotel on Hotwire. The location was great and the staff was very helpful and friendly, but our room and bathroom/shower were very small and the bed was hard as a rock. It seems standard these days that 1-bed rooms will be outfitted with a King bed and 2-bed rooms with 2 Queens or at least Doubles. Our room had a Queen bed which took up most of the room and my mom and brother's room had 2 Twins! The TV was extremely tiny compared to any other hotel I've stayed at and my 6'2" husband had a hard time taking in shower in the tiny space. Wouldn't stay here again due to the uncomfortable room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Great hotel. Good value for the money. The location couldn't be better withinin walking distance from so many attractions. Perfect for tourists i Chicago. We even got a glimpse of the river from our window. Big and nice room. Clean. Friendly staff. Looking forward to come back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anett G
O'Fallon, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I booked this room for 2 of my salesmen who were in Chicago for the National Restaurant Association show in May 2013. I booked the 2 bedroom suite with kitchenette. When they returned, they informed me that they did not receive the 2 'bedroom' suite, but a 1 'bedroom' with a pull out sofa... By the time they got to their room that evening, it was late and they just made do with what they were given as they were checking out the next day. When I called River Hotel to ask what happened to the room I booked, the nice young lady informed me that according to their computer system someone at corporate in Cincinnati changed the booking to a 'One bedroom suite with kitchenette'.... WHY?!?!?! Why was the reservation changed? When I asked the girl on the phone why the reservation was changed she said she didnt know, but that with the 1 bedroom suite, we were only charged $249/night instead of the $269 for the 2 bedroom. Wow, a $20 savings for a pretty big inconvenience. When I asked the girl on the phone about a partial refund for the trouble I was put on hold for 15 minutes and when she returned, they were only able to offer the salesmen vouchers for a free nights stay at one of their properties. I wish I would have read some of the other reviews prior to booking with The River Hotel, but time was running short and you have to book early in order to get a decently priced room thats close to McCormick Place because this is a huge show. After reading other reviews I'm not confident that this hotel even offers an actual '2 Bedroom' Suite as the 1 bedroom did not even have a door to allow for privacy. My sales team did say that the room was clean, staff was friendly and the one Queen bed was comfortable...the sofa sleeper was just that, a sofa sleeper, nothing impressive. Overall, the room provided a place for my salesmen to crash for the night, but they did not get the room that was booked for them which there was no reason for.

I would appreciate an answer as to why the reservation was changed and who authorzed the change, but I won't hold my breath.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Chepachet, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was our second stay at the River Hotel (which is connected to the Club Quarters Hotel).
We rented a two bedroom suite to share with my sister and her husband. It was outstanding. Plenty of room with a common area. The best part of the River Hotel or the Club Quarters is the young lady you might be lucky enough to meet behind the front desk: Hillary Brunner. It was because of Hillary that my husband and I chose to go back to the hotel a second time because it was Hillary who made our stay pleasant the first time. I had the opportunity to watch as she waited on others who also knew her by name and who were grateful for the professionalism, empathy and extra mile that she exhibits daily. I overheard a guest remark to her "you should get a raise". When my sister was unfortunate enough to have her purse stolen at a store in the city, it was Hillary who went above and beyond to help in any way she could: helping us to resolve what became a very emotional day. The hotel is in a great area of the city and is clean, neat, comfortable and affordable but the best thing about this hotel is that Hillary is behind the front desk. Hotel people, if you're reading this: Hillary is a gem.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Club Quarters are smaller than the River Hotel. The rooms we've stayed in were very...