“Convenient, comfortable, affordable”
Review of River Hotel

River Hotel
Ranked #74 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I am just finishing up a stay at the River Hotel for a conference. This was not one of the conference hotels, but it was a short walk to the conference, much less expensive than the conference hotels, and offered free wi-fi. (Just as an aside, the fact that all hotels don't offer free wi-fi is a mystery to me. It is like not having a telephone in your room). The River Hotel is not luxurious, but it offers clean, well kept rooms, all the basic necessities, and some nice perks like a comfortable "living room" in the lobby and a computer dedicated to printing boarding passes. The Italian restaurant in the lobby was also great for a hearty meal and glass of wine after a long day. My room was small, but perfectly fine for me. If I was with my spouse, I would have upgraded to a larger room. If business brings me back to Chicago, I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,123)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Met most of my criteria (comfortable bed, ability to control fan, good lighting and desk) but was very disappointed that the workout area was small with only one elliptical which was out of order. Plus they wouldn't give me a bathrobe (unlike the sister Club Quarters, Central Loop) even though one of the staff thought that should be no problem. If you want more space and a nice workout room, suggest looking elsewhere.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

The River Hotel in Chicago is a gem - a well-kept secret. My fear of writing a good review is that it will get packed and I can no longer get a room! Hence, the title. The location is excellent, convenient to all that is Chicago: food, transit, other hotels, etc. The rooms, while not huge, are a model of efficiency. For example, the desk that swivels to become a table-for-two!! Smart. And they managed to pack a fridge and microwave very unobtrusively. The front desk staff (we were helped especially by Hillary and DeShawn) were always there to assist and answer any questions. Bigger is not always better. The River Hotel is at a very human scale. We will stay at the River Hotel every time we frequent Chicago.

1  Thank 125LarryS125
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The rooms are smallish but up-to-date. Very clean and sleek, two of us did not feel cramped. The hotel provides unlimited cold, filtered water and bottles for you to put the water in. They also have coffee, coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator. The views from the river view rooms are spectacular (we were on the 7th floor). Location is central. The staff is friendly and accomodating. The restaurant has a great mushroom with mozarella de bufalo and risotto appetizer. You really cannot ask for a better hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
1  Thank scrippsmomSanDiego
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed at many hotels in Chicago - almost never do I stay at the same place twice. That changed with the River Hotel. On top of the ideal location, the staff is helpful and friendly. The rooms are nicely decorated, clean, and well appointed. There are filtered water dispensers on most floors, in room coffee and tea (we did not choose a room with a kitchenette). The bed was comfortable with ample pillows. There are closets on each floor with extra towels, blankets, toiletries, coffee, and several ironing boards. I liked that I didn't have an ironing board taking up space in my closet, but that I could go down the hall and get one as needed and not have to call to have one delivered! We got a river view room, but we aren't ones to spend a whole lot of time inside so that doesn't make much of a difference to us! We happened to be in town for a concert at the Chicago Theatre and I chose this hotel because it was the most reasonably priced within a 3 minute walk to the theatre! Great value for the money and I would recommend this place for ANY type of traveler!

Room Tip: Like most hotels in big cities, the rooms are a bit small. We chose a standard queen and were pleasa...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JenGregEthan
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I will never stay in a different hotel in Chicago. Perfectly located for central/downtown business. I'm here for a conference and they have every amenity imaginable. Complimentary coffee and tea, iPads to borrow, free chilled and purified water on every floor. The rooms are beautiful, small but totally functional and comfortable. Best hotel I've stayed at in the city.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Central location, staff very helpful. Rooms were clean, a little on the small side but that wasn't really an issue. Free bottled water and WiFi a plus. Ask for a room away from the elevator higher than the 9th floor for a room with a river view.

• Stayed: March 2013