“Great guest service”
Review of River Hotel

River Hotel
Ranked #74 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I want to applaude the service I received from the front desk. Hillary was more than helpful in switching out my room and accomodating me with the switch. Her attitude was fantastic which means alot to a traveler. I would recommend this hotel to others based on my experience with Hillary alone.
Patrick

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Patrick C

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I travelled to Chicago on business and spent 7 nights at this hotel. I was initially put in a poor room with constant outside noise. After speaking with a member of staff called Karina at reception this changed quickly. I was moved to another room where I did not suffer from the external noise from the hotel which was great as the time difference made sleeping difficult enough already. Corrine also placed food orders for me on two occasions given that my accent was fairly difficult for the locals to understand which made things very easy on an evening to eat so I could get on with work.
Given Corrine's excellent service and the staff in general being pleasant I would definitely return to the Club Quarters, East Wacker Dr, in the future whether it was on business or with my friends or as a couple.
The hotel is also situated very well for shopping, bars and sports venues such as Soldier Field are within walking distance.

Room Tip: All the rooms are of good standard, but if you are here on business try not to be where the dumpster...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank peter h
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I booked this hotel for it's excellent location on wacker and michigan Ave, unfortunately this was it's only Plus.

We stayed here for 5 days for buisness and pleasure, upon entering we found that the the hotel is actually 2 hotels: the River and club quarters, check in went smooth for the two rooms we had, we paid $170 for a regular room, and $225 for a suite per night. Both rooms were actually smaller than any standard hotel room I have ever stayed in. The room me and my wife stayed in was positivly tiny, I measured it at about 220 square feet.

The TV was a 17" and pretty much useless as it was on the far wall of the skinny room as far as possible from the bed,the Wifi was useless it was impossible to maintain a connection.The bathroom was incredibly small with only a small shower stall, toilet and sink, it didnt even have a normal door, instead it had a sliding pocket door with the "door" to the bathroom open I could sit on the toilet and reach the bed with my foot!. We noticed over the week that the house keeping was not up to a very high standard, they just made the bed and changed the towels, no cleaning was done.

The tipping point was when we were checking out we couldnt find our sunglasses, we had not used them at all during the week (cloudy), and assumed we had packed them in our baggage, however they were not to be found when we got home, so we reviewed our pictures from the week of the room and can see them sitting on the desk in each days pictures.

Once we returned home we called and emailed the hotel for several days, finally after several days of calling and emailing and getting the run-around we got a hold of someone, who could only report that nothing was found in the room after we checked out (they came to this conclusion without putting us on hold or checking with anyone, just an immediate "nothing was found".

To be honest, my only assumption is that they were stolen by housekeeping, as I have pictures of them sitting on the desk the day before we checked out. Likely our own fault for leaving two pairs of high end sunglasses out in the open.My dissapointment is in the hotels customer service beeing so difficult to get ahold of, and then just immediatly telling us that nothing was found.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last night and were very pleased! It is a fairly basic hotel, done very well. The location couldn't be better- right in the middle of the action, across from the Trump tower. The staff we encountered were all very friendly, and our corner room was modern and fairly spacious. There was a small fridge, microwave and coffee/tea maker in the room which was nice. They have some thoughtful extras as well, such as free refillable water bottles in the hallways and free laundry service. A solid choice for a downtown stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sherry821
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed in Chicago back in June 2012 and had a fantastic stay. The hotel was on E Wacker Drive, with our room over looking the river - fantastic view! The staff were so friendly and helpful at all times.

It was so central, and meant we could easily walk up North Michigan Avenue to the shops or Hancock centre etc or venture south of the river to the touristy spots like the aquarium, planetarium and Soldier Field. The room at the hotel was as expected - had all the amenities with water available at a dispenser near the lifts. We had breakfast at a little bakery close by and were never disappointed! Regards getting to the hotel, we decided to catch the train from (and back to) the airport and found it all to be very straight forward - you have to buy a ticket or can get a top-up card, which means you don't have to worry if you don't have exact change as the residual amount will just wait til you next use the train. Getting from the station to the hotel was only about 10-15mins walk which was good though you may choose to use a cab if you have lots of luggage.

In terms of things to do in the city, there is so much! I strongly recommend the Soldier Field tour - the guide was amazing, with so much knowledge of the stadium and franchise. We also headed up to Wrigley Field and, although we couldn't go in, looked pretty impress from the road side. There's also some pretty authentic diners close by for those looking for an American feel! We did both John Hancock and the Willis Tower (Sears). Given the chance again, we would leave the Hancock tour as it wasn't as good, but then again we did this at night so that may have impacted things. We also took the train out to Oak Park, which was fantastic for a bit of a tour of different architect styles - don't expect anything to be open pre-11.00am though!!!

Hope you have a wonderful trip to the amazing Windy City and that my review has helped. There is so much to do and see and the River Hotel (we found) was a perfect base for helping us maximise our stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WMD2009
Reviewed October 30, 2012

First of all I would like to thank Hillary and Sara

The welcome that they showed was well appreciated... They explained to me everything i needed to know about the hotel and the surrounding area. I asked them about restaurants and Hillary was there with answers. The room was better then what i read on the reviews. For one person it is great .... its not the Hilton.... but for the price it is good. Location is great............ shopping and shopping is unreal. The place is well maintained. The ladies that look after the rooms are unbelieveable.
I will stay here again anytiime.

Thanks again for making your place feel like home.

Peter

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter J
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Putting aside all the reviews that say the rooms are tiny (they are) and the location is good (it is), the real issue is that service is awful here. Room service does not exist--it should, they promise it--but after 27 minutes of being on hold I'm still waiting. And please Lord, explain why housekeeping knocks on my door at 8:36 am to clean my room? If there had been any other available rooms in Chicago other than the Four Seasons, I would never have stayed here. Frankly, I'd be less annoyed if I had chosen to stay by O'Hare and gotten good service and taken a cab or the el into the city this morning. Never again, River Hotel. Never again.

Room Tip: Best tip: do not stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business