“Dissapointed”

Ranked #63 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Brandon, Canada
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I booked this hotel for it's excellent location on wacker and michigan Ave, unfortunately this was it's only Plus.

We stayed here for 5 days for buisness and pleasure, upon entering we found that the the hotel is actually 2 hotels: the River and club quarters, check in went smooth for the two rooms we had, we paid $170 for a regular room, and $225 for a suite per night. Both rooms were actually smaller than any standard hotel room I have ever stayed in. The room me and my wife stayed in was positivly tiny, I measured it at about 220 square feet.

The TV was a 17" and pretty much useless as it was on the far wall of the skinny room as far as possible from the bed,the Wifi was useless it was impossible to maintain a connection.The bathroom was incredibly small with only a small shower stall, toilet and sink, it didnt even have a normal door, instead it had a sliding pocket door with the "door" to the bathroom open I could sit on the toilet and reach the bed with my foot!. We noticed over the week that the house keeping was not up to a very high standard, they just made the bed and changed the towels, no cleaning was done.

The tipping point was when we were checking out we couldnt find our sunglasses, we had not used them at all during the week (cloudy), and assumed we had packed them in our baggage, however they were not to be found when we got home, so we reviewed our pictures from the week of the room and can see them sitting on the desk in each days pictures.

Once we returned home we called and emailed the hotel for several days, finally after several days of calling and emailing and getting the run-around we got a hold of someone, who could only report that nothing was found in the room after we checked out (they came to this conclusion without putting us on hold or checking with anyone, just an immediate "nothing was found".

To be honest, my only assumption is that they were stolen by housekeeping, as I have pictures of them sitting on the desk the day before we checked out. Likely our own fault for leaving two pairs of high end sunglasses out in the open.My dissapointment is in the hotels customer service beeing so difficult to get ahold of, and then just immediatly telling us that nothing was found.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last night and were very pleased! It is a fairly basic hotel, done very well. The location couldn't be better- right in the middle of the action, across from the Trump tower. The staff we encountered were all very friendly, and our corner room was modern and fairly spacious. There was a small fridge, microwave and coffee/tea maker in the room which was nice. They have some thoughtful extras as well, such as free refillable water bottles in the hallways and free laundry service. A solid choice for a downtown stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sherry821
England
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed in Chicago back in June 2012 and had a fantastic stay. The hotel was on E Wacker Drive, with our room over looking the river - fantastic view! The staff were so friendly and helpful at all times.

It was so central, and meant we could easily walk up North Michigan Avenue to the shops or Hancock centre etc or venture south of the river to the touristy spots like the aquarium, planetarium and Soldier Field. The room at the hotel was as expected - had all the amenities with water available at a dispenser near the lifts. We had breakfast at a little bakery close by and were never disappointed! Regards getting to the hotel, we decided to catch the train from (and back to) the airport and found it all to be very straight forward - you have to buy a ticket or can get a top-up card, which means you don't have to worry if you don't have exact change as the residual amount will just wait til you next use the train. Getting from the station to the hotel was only about 10-15mins walk which was good though you may choose to use a cab if you have lots of luggage.

In terms of things to do in the city, there is so much! I strongly recommend the Soldier Field tour - the guide was amazing, with so much knowledge of the stadium and franchise. We also headed up to Wrigley Field and, although we couldn't go in, looked pretty impress from the road side. There's also some pretty authentic diners close by for those looking for an American feel! We did both John Hancock and the Willis Tower (Sears). Given the chance again, we would leave the Hancock tour as it wasn't as good, but then again we did this at night so that may have impacted things. We also took the train out to Oak Park, which was fantastic for a bit of a tour of different architect styles - don't expect anything to be open pre-11.00am though!!!

Hope you have a wonderful trip to the amazing Windy City and that my review has helped. There is so much to do and see and the River Hotel (we found) was a perfect base for helping us maximise our stay!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WMD2009
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 30, 2012

First of all I would like to thank Hillary and Sara

The welcome that they showed was well appreciated... They explained to me everything i needed to know about the hotel and the surrounding area. I asked them about restaurants and Hillary was there with answers. The room was better then what i read on the reviews. For one person it is great .... its not the Hilton.... but for the price it is good. Location is great............ shopping and shopping is unreal. The place is well maintained. The ladies that look after the rooms are unbelieveable.
I will stay here again anytiime.

Thanks again for making your place feel like home.

Peter

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter J
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Putting aside all the reviews that say the rooms are tiny (they are) and the location is good (it is), the real issue is that service is awful here. Room service does not exist--it should, they promise it--but after 27 minutes of being on hold I'm still waiting. And please Lord, explain why housekeeping knocks on my door at 8:36 am to clean my room? If there had been any other available rooms in Chicago other than the Four Seasons, I would never have stayed here. Frankly, I'd be less annoyed if I had chosen to stay by O'Hare and gotten good service and taken a cab or the el into the city this morning. Never again, River Hotel. Never again.

Room Tip: Best tip: do not stay here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ptuma
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have stayed at the River Hotel twice this year and have been very satisfied each time. It is attached to Club Quarters, its sister hotel, which is normally for public travelers leaving the River Hotel rooms for corporate guests; however, as an individual, I have had one stay in each. They are virtually the same. The club size rooms are small, but modern, clean and sufficient. Bottled water is complimentary as is coffee or tea on a second floor lounge. Access is controlled by using to room key to operate the elevator and they have a doorman as well. The hotel location is two blocks to the 'El' and walking distance to many popular sights within the loop. A great hotel for a moderate price, plus repeat guest discounts. Recommended.

Room Tip: Some rooms offer a view of the Chicago river.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I never would have known about this great spot if it weren't for a three-day meeting at the same location. I'm usually tethered to places where I have frequent travel status, but couldn't turn down the opportunity to co-locate with my meetings. I stayed in a studio, which worked out great. The shower was a bit small, but they were smart and used shower curtains rather than doors, which provided a bit of extra elbow room. The room decor I can only describe as
Ikea-meets-art-deco. I particularly liked the artwork, especially since it was nothing close to the usual depressing "hotel art". The bed was a queen and deliciously comfortable (read as "firm"). Each floor has filtered water stations with accompanying refillable water bottles. I loved this feature. I didn't get a chance to try the gym, but you also have the option of having exercise equipment delivered to your room. Wow! They also loan out iPads. As a road warrior, I greatly appreciated the complimentary self serve laundry facility with appliances that actually worked. Hotels that consider themselves geared towards business travelers could learn a few things from the River. The staff was excellent, checkin was fast, and the hotel was very clean. The additional bonus was Bacino's restaurant with great food and service.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business