We stayed in Chicago back in June 2012 and had a fantastic stay. The hotel was on E Wacker Drive, with our room over looking the river - fantastic view! The staff were so friendly and helpful at all times.
It was so central, and meant we could easily walk up North Michigan Avenue to the shops or Hancock centre etc or venture south of the river to the touristy spots like the aquarium, planetarium and Soldier Field. The room at the hotel was as expected - had all the amenities with water available at a dispenser near the lifts. We had breakfast at a little bakery close by and were never disappointed! Regards getting to the hotel, we decided to catch the train from (and back to) the airport and found it all to be very straight forward - you have to buy a ticket or can get a top-up card, which means you don't have to worry if you don't have exact change as the residual amount will just wait til you next use the train. Getting from the station to the hotel was only about 10-15mins walk which was good though you may choose to use a cab if you have lots of luggage.
In terms of things to do in the city, there is so much! I strongly recommend the Soldier Field tour - the guide was amazing, with so much knowledge of the stadium and franchise. We also headed up to Wrigley Field and, although we couldn't go in, looked pretty impress from the road side. There's also some pretty authentic diners close by for those looking for an American feel! We did both John Hancock and the Willis Tower (Sears). Given the chance again, we would leave the Hancock tour as it wasn't as good, but then again we did this at night so that may have impacted things. We also took the train out to Oak Park, which was fantastic for a bit of a tour of different architect styles - don't expect anything to be open pre-11.00am though!!!
Hope you have a wonderful trip to the amazing Windy City and that my review has helped. There is so much to do and see and the River Hotel (we found) was a perfect base for helping us maximise our stay!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Step out of the River Hotel and into the stunning surroundings of Downtown Chicago. Shimmering skyscrapers tower over the Chicago River as Wacker Drive bends to meet the city’s most famous thoroughfare, Michigan Avenue the start of the Magnificent Mile. These sights sit just steps from the inviting accommodations of the River Hotel, a Downtown Chicago boutique hotel devoted to providing personal service and a helpful range of amenities for business and leisure travel alike. Our Michigan Avenue hotel boasts an array of thoughtful onsite amenities: instant registration and checkout, 24-hour concierge service, complimentary high-speed Internet access, a modern fitness center, chilled, purified bottled water, and three state-of-the-art meeting rooms make for a seamless business travel experience. Savor authentic Italian cuisine and fabulous deep dish pizza at the onsite restaurant, Bella Bacino’s Italian Bistro & Pizzeria. The Chicago River Hotel offers everything you need in the heart of it all. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Travelocity and Cancelon so you can book your River Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- River Hotel Chicago
- Club Quarters Chicago
- Club Quarters Hotel Chicago
- Club Quarters Wacker Michigan