“I love this hotel every detail pleasing”
Review of River Hotel

River Hotel
Ranked #67 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Northern California
“I love this hotel every detail pleasing”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Yes the rooms are small but who cares when you're traveling by yourself. The ascetics make up for the tightness. I loved the fabric of the bedspread. And so comfy. And in the hall is a fill your bottle water dispenser. Who wonderful. Totally recommend this hotel for Chicago.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Korean first
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is our second review of this wonderful hotel. Last stay was October 6, 2011.

Management put us on the 10th floor this time to avoid street noise. Awesome river view and terrific accommodations.

Room was great, unfortunately we left some things in the room. Our bad, but the hospitality service never returned any of our three phone calls. I was told that the River Hotel does keep any lost and found for one month. Sadly I left a pair of shoes with running orthodics in the room, along with our son's school-logo cross country T-shirt. $400 worth of running stuff (yes, it was marathon weekend). As I patiently waited and waited for anyone to call back and did indeed call every few days, no one could determine whether they found our things or didn't. A ''no'' phone call would have been helpful. None at all is somewhat disrespectful.

Do stay here. It's a great hotel and they will keep your luggage after you check out if you have a late afternoon train to catch. Just DON'T leave anything in your room. You'll never see it again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I stayed here on my own and had a tiny (double) room. It was fine for me on my own but would have been cramped for two. Great view though, and comfortable with a good size bathroom. Wifi was dodgy as I was on a high up floor, but the business centre with free printing down in the lobby was really useful for checking into my flight on leaving. Location is really what clinches it though.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
NY
Reviewed October 21, 2011

What a great location. Right in the center with great restaurants, attractions, and site seeing. The staff is OUTSTANDING... really care about the stay. The rooms are a bit small but very, very comfortable. The price is amazing but will change as this secret gets out.
There were six of us meeting in Chicago for a long weekend - had a blast....

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 19, 2011

River Hotel was really an amazing experience as a boutique hotel. I was in town for biz and booked through Amex package to secure a really great rate. I was upgraded to a suite with river views upon check-in, which made my life much better. Apparently other rooms are signifcantly smaller, or have poor views, also no in house mini fridge. I was there for a week so these amenities were crucial for me. The internet was great, bed small and firm, but nice. I liked upgraded bathroom as well. The rooms are certainly tiny, but you are in downtown Chicago at a great rate and with incredible views. This isn't your typical boxy corporate hotel - enjoy it! Valet parking was an added cost that I was not expecting, but it wasn't so bad - and I really enjoyed having my car pulled around for me and put away for me. As I was rushing to work each morning it made life SO much easier than trying to find parking or pay way too much for a garage 10 blocks away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed October 13, 2011

this was a surprisingly comfortable 2 bd 2 bath suite w/a compact kitchen that included 2 burner stove, mini fridge, microwave and service for 4 in the cabinets. Had 3 flat screens, one in each bedroom and one in the common sitting area. king bed in one rm, queen bed in the other. No view. The space was great for the 3 of us and would be good for families. There are no bedroom doors, just partitions, so be aware if complete privacy is needed. Best thing was the terrific location just steps off Mag Mile and close to Millennium Park. tons of restaurants nearby. Walking distance to all of Chicago's downtown attractions or short bus/taxi rides for those who prefer to ride.The rate was quite reasonable-we booked a couple of months in advance. Would absolutely stay again.

Room Tip: if you must have a view, be sure to request it.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
chicago
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We three gals booked the two bedroom suite well in advance so we got an unbelievable rate. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better location-access to North Mich, Millenium Park/Art Institute, the Loop, the Riverwalk...the room was beautifully appointed, great bathrooms, comfortable bedding, kitchenette, quiet...no view from the 2 BRs but that wasn't of particular concern to us. It does share an entrance with Club Quarters but I'm not sure they're actually affiliated with each other so the comments about Club Quarters may not apply. Though we were doing the girlfriend thing this suite would also be great for two couples who don't require tons of privacy- there's no door - and terrific for a family group that would be accomodated by one king and one queen bed. The sitting area was great for hanging out and though we only used the kitchen to store beverages and snacks I could see bringing take out up there, heating up leftovers, etc. There's a Corner Bakery right next door, also a huge plus for the early morning coffee run-though there were also in-room coffee makers. Another nice touch was filtered water & water bottles you could fill up in the hallway. I would stay there again in a heartbeat! Just reserve far in advance for a really good rate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends