“Hip hotel near Mag Mile” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ACME Hotel Company Chicago

ACME Hotel Company Chicago
Ranked #22 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Palo Alto, California
“Hip hotel near Mag Mile”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

The hotel has a great location - close to Millennium Park and Mag Mile, pretty much walking distance to most of the sights you'd want to cover. The decor and overall feel of the hotel is very modern and contemporary. I got a room with two queen beds and found it to be very spacious and comfortable. The room was well appointed with all the essential needs covered - internet was included in my rate, so that was great. I'd recommend staying at ACME for a quick trip to Chicago. The bakery in the lobby is convenient and the Berkshire Room was popular on Saturday night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gabrielle K, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Hi, NTS_2011,

Thanks for your review! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the ACME. I'm glad you were pleased with your accommodations and that you were able to try the West Town Bakery. We hope to see you again next time you're in Chicago!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

After some lengthy searching, I picked ACME for me and a small group of friends to stay at for my 40th birthday. Jennifer in the reservations area was very helpful and set up a small block of rooms for the trip. Even though the rate we were given wasn't much better than the online booking rate we figured it was worth it for the location and style.
A couple days prior to the trip I received an email allowing advanced check in and took full advantage. In hind site it may not have been the best option. As with anything online, it takes away from the personal aspect. Especially for getting anything special. But it did make for quickly getting to the room after arriving close to midnight. And since I was given options on where I would prefer to have my room and choosing a higher floor, up to the 11th floor we went. Unfortunately we were right next to the elevator, the ice machine and the staff's supply closet. So when 8 am arrived the next two mornings we were awoken by the sounds of cleaning peoples conversations, bustling of supplies and carts and the elevator. Not what we had in mind for a long weekend in Chicago to celebrate. These particular points keep this from being an amazing hotel to stay in.
But the hotel is very cool! Loved the music themed elevators and the overall "factory/NYC loft" decor. The front desk staff were helpful and friendly. The rooms are small but trendy, with very comfortable beds. Highly recommend the West End bakery in the lobby as well as the Birkshire Room lounge. Try the maple bacon filled doughnut at West End!! Although we didn't spend lots of time in the Birkshire Room, the few drinks we did have were very good and the bartenders fairly attentive. If you want a more laid back spot for drinks try Watershed across the street.
The absolute best features of the hotel are location, location, location!! A couple blocks from Michigan Ave, tons of great restaurants and bars and the train to get you to Wrigley!!
When I visit Chicago again I'll consider ACME for sure, but it just misses being amazing.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
2 Thank Josh T
Gabrielle K, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hi, Josh T,

Thanks for the review. We appreciate you trying our new online check in option, and while you missed out on some personal interaction with the front desk, it's great to hear feedback on the experience. I'm sorry to hear that you encountered some noise issues. Upon your next booking, please request a quiet room and we'll do our absolute best to create a more restful experience for you.

Overall, it's great to hear everything that you loved about your stay and that our staff were so helpful and friendly. We really hope you'll choose us again next time you're in Chicago.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Very themed, very comfortable, great value. The bar is very comfortable. The only small disappointing factor was that the gym was, like so many hotel gyms, very basic with poor gear. Well located hotel, very comfortable, highly rated

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank oldredjag
Hi, oldredjag,

Thanks for your great review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and The Berkshire Room. Hope to see you again!
Loveland, Ohio, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I booked this hotel because it's rate was very reasonable for that particular date. I knew going in that the room would be tiny, but it was also very dark with an alley view, and it felt claustrophobic. On the good side: Excellent, speedy wireless, great large TV, nice shower (although there is only half a door and there will be water on the floor), very comfy bed. The elevators were fast but small. The lounge looked nice but we didn't go in--glasses of wine were $11 and up, which is high even for Chicago. In the room, there are 4 cans of snacks on an electronically sensored tray. After my sister and daughter each separately picked up the cans, they noticed a sign saying that you would be charged once you moved the snacks. I asked the front desk to please not charge us for these, and they pleasantly agreed, and a worker offered to remove the snacks from the room. When I got the bill, I saw that I was charged for all 4 cans of snacks! To me, this was a needless aggravation and it seems like it would be a hassle for both guests and front desk workers. Change the system please! All in all, it was an OK hotel, but I left feeling like it really wasn't that great of a deal.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Ellen A
Hi, Ellen A,

Thanks for your review! It seems our tiny inventory robots need to be looked at! We'll make sure we address that so it doesn't happen in the future. However, I am so glad our staff were able to assist you in this matter. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some amenities of the room. Thanks for the feedback and hope to see you again!
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

The Acme Hotel is one of the hottest hotels in Chicago ... When we arrived on June 3rd, 2014, it happened to be my birthday, so I asked the girl at the desk if there was any possible upgrade available to a room with a view of the city, not only did she bump us up but put us in a King Suite with a view of the city ... the room was so big and spacious !!! The bed was extra comfy also, and the knock and drop coffee delivery was just an awesome touch --- The food at the bakery was also great. I suggest also to go into the Birkshire Bar downstairs, we didn't hit it up until our last night and it was one of the more interestingly fun bars we hit in Chicago. We were able to catch a Cubs game, and basically you walk around the corner and hit the subway which takes you straight to Wrigleyfield for about $4.00 roundtrip. Also a restaurant called Quartino's around the corner was so amazing we had to go back twice ... Italian tapas !! the most amazing meatballs, and you can even get half orders of the small plates, so you can really sample so many different items on the menu, at such a reasonable price! Drinks and wine at happy hour were incredibly cheap for such a nice place. So if you are considering the Acme, think no more!! Go, stay, enjoy ... you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Christine K
Thanks, Christine K, for such a fantastic review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your birthday celebration here at the ACME. It's great to hear that your trip was such a success. We hope to see you again next time you're in Chicago!
Letts, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was in Chicago with some friends on a girls weekend when we stayed here. Excellent location! Close to shopping and dining. The staff was friendly, helpful and just pretty awesome. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The bar is actually a pretty happening place on the weekend. Had so much fun here. This is definitely where I will be staying for my future trips to Chicago.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gabrielle K, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thanks, HeidiS36, for such a fantastic review! I'm so glad you chose ACME for your girls weekend and loved it! It's great to hear that our staff were so accommodating and that you were able to enjoy Berkshire. I hope we can look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Chicago!
Brasilia, DF
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

We have average level, suitable for your proposal. The room has a very good size. However, the lack of wardrobes was a problem for storing clothes and shopping. The location is fantastic, next to Eataly, a complex of Italian restaurants.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room with wardrobe.