“Really Cool Place”

ACME Hotel Company Chicago
Ranked #32 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We were looking for a place centered around my partners work in downtown Chicago and near some cool places to eat. We came across this hotel. Check in was easy, parking was easy, and the rooms and hallways are unlike any other stuffy hotel. Parking is in the garage right next to the hotel and it was affordable, as downtown hotels go. It was under $40 and you park yourself so you don't need a tip.
The rooms were decorated pretty cool. The artwork hanging up wasnt have the obligatory flower or seascape scenery you usually see people selling at garage sales. It was cool artwork. Our room had a huge print of a hand print. The rooms aren't very big, but when you're not spending much time in them, that shouldn't matter. They have phone charging station at the desk, and really nice robes to use while you're there.
The rooms are equipped with fridges and stocked fridges with beer and soda. the beers were $5 each which isn't too bad considering you'll pay that at the bars in the area. If you're looking for a cool place to stay, this is it. But don't expect to cram a bunch of people into the smaller rooms.
The elevators have cool album covers hanging in them and they play music from the said albums. I thought that was a nice touch! They have a bar/restaurant but I cant comment on that because we didn't go in. they did give us 2 free drinks coupons however. We were getting away form our toddler for the night so we wanted to venture out.
I would highly recommend this place. The rates aren't that bad, although we did splurge. Our room had a great view of the Hancock building. It was cool to fall asleep with that view. We did ask to change our room from the first one due to some noise, but they had no problems moving us! Everyone was very nice. As far as location, you really cant beat it. It's right near Weber Grill and some of the other cool restaurants.
Stay here if you ever get the chance!
I'd give it a 5 but I didn't go into the restaurant/bar so I feel my visit wasn't as complete.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view looking towards the Hancock building
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Hi, Gigizombie!

Thanks for the awesome review! It's great to hear all that you enjoyed about your stay with us. I am glad you had a fantastic experience, but I hope you'll come back again soon so you can check out the Berkshire Room and West Town Bakery! See you next time!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,072)

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Great hotel in a super Chicago location perfect for exploring the City. The room itself was excellent. I reserved a King Suite as it was my husband's birthday and I had planned for a few surprise visitors to join us for cocktails one evening. The lounge area of the room was great for our group of 7 and it was nice to have a separate spot to relax. The hotel decor is quirky and modern but overall the vibe is laid back without sacrificing any of the polish you might expect for an urban hotel. Very nice to have the hot tub and sauna after a day walking around the city.

I highly recommend the Acme, especially given the higher prices of many of the nearby hotels.

Room Tip: The suites are excellent.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kelgroove1

Thanks very much, kelgroove1, for the fantastic review! It's great to hear that you chose the ACME for your husband's birthday celebration! I am so glad that you both had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the king suite. Please come back and see us again!

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Great hotel with amazing staff there to help with anything you need. Great location. We walked to great shopping on the magnificent mile, the river and little further to State Street parking. Amazing restaurants very close, especially Eataly which is on the next block. Hubbard street is only 4 shorts blocks away with many restaurants and great bars, great nightlife.
Cool hip vibe in the hotel. We got the king sized room and it gave us a ton if room. Highly recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi, AurelioToronto!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff so accommodating! It's great to hear that you found the location so convenient. We love being a part of the River North area. Thanks for your review and hope to have you back again!

Reviewed May 2, 2014

This charming small hotel just of the Michigan Avenue shopping district is wonderful. Hot coffee delivered to your room in the morning, comfortable beds, a quiet location in the midst of a noisy area with lots of chain restaurants--this is also reasonably priced. It's definitely not more than about a good three-star, but it's a good compromise between value and hipness. The lobby is kind of dark, the bar is very noisy, and maybe they are trying too hard for the hipness thing, but it is a great place.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on Ohio Street, you'll have a nice view but have a bit of noise. Otherwis...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Hi, Hans50!

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's good to hear that you liked the Morning Joe service. We hope to have you stay again soon!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

One of the reviewers pointed out that he feels he's been duped by the reviews into thinking this is a 5 star hotel. No, it's not a 5 star class hotel. However, it has more amenities, service, and creature comforts than you fill find at MOST 4 star hotels.
The room I stayed in utilized the space very well and not only does it accommodate a large comfy bed but also a long table with comfy benches. The floors are hardwood-like and the room itself is clean. Did I mention free wi-fi?
This is a definitely hip boutique hotel with all the trendy art decor in and outside of the room (You'll see what I mean when you check in).

While this hotel can be easily passed over in the streets you can find an organic cafe inside across the lobby. A lot of the stuff they carry is organic but not all of their stock is organic.
The best thing about this hotel is not only is it comfortable with the right amenities it also located in the heart of River North where all the restaurants and bars are located. If you need a place to crash for the night you can use the HotelTonight app and get $25 off with code (mrhee2).

I would definitely stay at this hotel if I visited Chicago again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks, mrhee2, for the fantastic review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the amenities that we offer. We'd love to have you stay again next time you're in Chicago!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed here for a couple nights during our first purely recreational trip to Chicago. The location was stellar, being so close to food, shopping, and things to see and do... all by foot. The hotel itself was modern, stylish, with a decent complimentary breakfast, and friendly staff.
In a nutshell, we would definitely go there again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks, Chris G, for the great review! I'm glad you enjoyed your Chicago vacation with us. It's great to hear all that you enjoyed about your stay. I hope you'll stay with us again next time you're in Chicago!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I travel with 32 people year round and we live in hotels non-stop. The ACME was one of the best so far this year. I usually get at least a few little complaints and this was a complaint free stay. My team loved the morning coffee delivery, the location, the bar, windows that open and the bed was fantastic. I think everyone took selfie's in the bathroom mirror with the big red lips and wanted them for their own apartments. The staff was helpful and friendly. I hope to use this hotel every time my group travels thru Chicago.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Hi, Erica N!

Thanks for the wonderful review! I'm so happy to hear that you and your group loved your experience and had no complaints. That is a compliment that we most certainly appreciate. We'd love to have you back next time you're in Chicago!