“Wonderful place to stay”

ACME Hotel Company Chicago
Ranked #31 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I had been wanting to stay at the Acme Hotel Company for a while, and I finally got my opportunity. From the moment I started reviewing the website, I knew I was going to like the experience. As part of the booking process on their website, I "unlocked" a free drink at the Berkshire Room. I emailed to ask some questions about breakfast items (I have a wheat allergy), and the manager promptly replied. I was able to check in online and make room requests the day before arriving. Upon arriving, the staff was extremely helpful. They helped us to get cabs for our large party. They got me ice for my injured knee. They kindly directed us to parking. One might expect that a "hipster" hotel would have rude staff members. Nothing could be further from the truth!

As far as the rooms, they are small but very nice. The bed was extremely comfortable. My room was on the top floor and towards the back of the building, and I didn't get woken up a single time by city noise. The work space was great. I loved the bathroom...great shower and great toiletries. Coffee delivery straight to your door is a nice touch.

The location is great. Tons of restaurants and bars in the area, including the hotels own fabulous Berkshire Room...which is my new favorite bar in the city. If you are not familiar with Chicago, it is an easy walk to Michigan Avenue from this hotel. I also find it to be an easy walk to Millennium Park and the Art Institute, but I love to walk. From this location, you can also easily get a cab to anywhere you want to go if that's your preferred mode of transportation. The parking garage, however, is REALLY cheap to park at ($39 a night when I stayed) with in-out privileges.

From the hotel's staff to decor to art to bar to location, this is a hotel experience you will not want to miss out on!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Hi, mindylh13!

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you finally got to stay with us and enjoyed it. It's great to hear that you found our staff so accommodating. I really enjoyed hearing about your experience and everything you enjoyed about your stay. We look forward to having you stay again next time you're in Chicago!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,026)

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Fun, funky hotel in a great location. The feel of the hotel carries on thru everything they do. The thermos of coffee delivered every morning. The chalk board on the doors. The lips! Their service and staff are great! Definite must on your trip to Chi-town

Room Tip: double/double suite Nice and roomy with a fridge. Make sure you check out the view on the interior...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Thanks, nyegirl, for the great review! I'm so glad you chose the ACME for your trip to Chicago. It's great to hear everything that you loved about your stay. I hope you'll stay with us next time you're in the city!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Acme Hotel is in a convenience location. Walking distance to shopping, restaurants, bars. Extremely friendly staffs, clean room and the "Hot Red Lip" night-light. I love the free Knock & Drop Coffee pot in the morning. Got to try West Town Bakery delectable fresh pastries in the morning and the craft cocktails at The Berkshire Room at night. I will definitely plan my vacation with my family soon.

Room Tip: Corner suites are suitable for business meeting or with family.
1  Thank BRYCECANYON

Hi, BRYCECANYON!

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! It's great to hear that you were able to experience the Knock and Drop service as well as the West Town Bakery and Berkshire Room. We're really proud to have those amenities to offer our guests. We hope to see you next time you're in Chicago!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

What a great treasure ACME Hotel is. Being from the hotel side I am a bit of a hotel snob when it is my turn to stay in hotels. The ACME Hotel is cute, clean and comfortable. Not knowing what to expect, upon check in I was uncertain where I was. The hotel didn’t look like a hotel…. Very comfortable not stuffy. The front desk peeps were great and the concierge Caption Carl was AMAZING. I hear that the rooms are a bit on the smaller side but I was in a studio, so it was super large and very comfortable for a week stay. The rooms are decorated tastefully… not overdone. Very comfortable beds, great linens, good bath products and enough towels so you don’t have to have service every day. The windows in the room opened so I was able to get fresh air. The lounge was great… I was able to pick my glass; my poison blended or stirred… the mixologist created something fun and yummy! They have a great steam room and a Jacuzzi in the basement although I didn’t have a chance to use them. The location of ACME Hotel is perfect… you are walking distance to everything including the overpriced pricey hotels that have roof top decks. I would stay here any day over staying at one of the branded hotels, I personally think you get a lot more for your money. I will for sure stay here again when I am back in town. I wish I could give a higher score because it sure does deserve it! Don't forget to get your morning cup of Joe delivered each morning!

Hi, PickyTraveler619!

Thank you so much for a wonderful review! I'm so happy that you loved your experience at the ACME. I'll be sure to pass along your kind comments to Karl and the front desk staff. Hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at the ACME Hotel in Chicago . Here is a summary of our experience, from the point of view of an active, well traveled couple in their mid 50s:

Pros-
1. The location of his hotel is ideal. A short, 2 block walk brings you to the red line of the El, Chicago's elevated train system. You are a few blocks from Michigan Ave, with plenty of shopping and restaurant choices. A Trader Joes is just around the corner.
2. For a hotel this close to the Magnificant Mile, you can't beat the price.
3. I liked the soft, cotton sheets, designer bath products, cool shower head and marble bathroom counter. You could tell that the rooms had been recently remodeled.
4. Morning coffee delivered to the room, although of maxwell House quality, was a nice touch.
5. Staff, although all seemed to be the age of our children, were very pleasant and responsive to anything we needed.

Cons
1. The hotel is dark and narrow, wedged in next to an abandoned hotel. The lobby is very small, with no seating or general,welcoming area. The elevator doors are painted to look like the old , metal doors that were pushed aside by hand, but after a few days, they felt like jail bars!
2. The room was very small and was made to feel even claustrophobic since we could only see 2 walls of the abandoned building when looking out of the window. There was no natural light, and you couldn't even see the sky unless you really craned your neck.
3. The walls are paper thin, and the clanging of the doors to each unit was a jarring noise at 1 a.m. We decided to purchase a white noise maker at Bed, Bath and Beyond so that we could get some sleep. The heating and cooling unit was very noisy, but it did help block out the noise.

I cannot wholeheartedly endorse the ACME because of the noise issue (which is really out of the control of staff ) and the closed in feeling we had after a couple of days. I understand the hotel is trying to portray a certain theme that mimimcs the ACME detective agency, but it just seemed dark and unwelcoming to us. If these things don't bother you, the ACME is a great value and in a wonderful location to easily enjoy much of what Chicago has to offer.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and got put in a room with an inside view of abandoned building. Weren'...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Karen R

Karen R,

Thanks for your feedback and for sharing the things that you enjoyed about your stay. I'm so glad to hear that you appreciated our wonderful Lather products and our luxurious Filidoro bed sheets. It's sounds like you'd have really enjoyed our City View Queen room which has a great view overlooking Ohio Street. I'm sorry to hear that the ACME isn't the right fit for you, but we appreciate your comments!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

In my quest to stay in properties with a bit of off the beaten path character I chose the Acme for a recent business conference in Chicago. While definitely not mainstream in design, its location just off Michigan Ave (about 2 blocks from the Red-Grand stop) and surprisingly afforadble price tag made it seem like an obvious choice. More than that, it was a short walk from both a Protein Bar (best healthy fast food in the city) and River North Crossfit- two things I can't live without while in Chicago. Prior to arrival electronic check in with the ability to customize things such as the time of your morning coffee delivery was a breeze. Upon check, which was late in the evening I might add, the staff could not have been more genuine or welcoming. You could tell it wasn't rehearsed but rather the hotel employed people who, well, liked people... a good quality for the hospitality industry!

Here were a few of my highlights aside from the obvious perks...
- The Brewskie Diespenser: never again will a hotel minibar meet my expectations
- The grocery store across the street: whatever you need whenever you need it
- The Berkshire Room on the 1st floor: they have Hibiki Japanese whiskey!!
- On that note, the daily invites to cool events in the Berkshire: bacon cocktail crafting anyone?
- GOOGLE GLASS: the only hotel in the world to offer google glass for rent. It's free for 2 hours.

I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Chicago- for business or pleasure!

Room Tip: You can customize your room request by sound preferance, view, floor, etc. I was in 1000 and had a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Hi, Lauren H!

Thanks so much for your feedback! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for the great staff compliments; I'll be sure to pass them along. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I stayed here for four nights in April 2014 for a short leisure trip to Chicago. If you want to skip the details: this is a great hotel in a perfect River North location. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room: I had a basic room with a king bed. It was on the small side, but I knew what I was getting and it suited this trip. I was here alone, but it would work for two people who are comfortable with each other. The room was finished in a chic, modern style. A small table with bench seating and ottomans was a nice touch. Bathroom was a reasonable size with a rainfall shower that had great water pressure. The bed was super comfortable. My room was on the 15th floor and there was a bit of normal city noise. If you're a very light sleeper, you may want to pack earplugs. The only real downsides to the room: a lack of space for clothes/luggage and the lack of a mini fridge (had a beverage system/mini bar, but I prefer having a small fridge I can use for my own stuff).

Amenities: Free wifi was fast and strong and was high enough bandwidth for FaceTime video calls. There were really nice quality shampoos, soaps and lotions provided. The free (and good quality!) coffee that gets dropped off outside your door in a thermos each morning is pretty sweet. The on-site bakery on the main floor had a nice selection of high end breakfast pastries each morning. The Berkshire Room acts as the hotel bar - cocktails here are very well crafted.

Location: Pretty much perfect. The closest red line stop is just behind the hotel, you're about 3 blocks away from Michigan Ave. there is a great selection of restaurants/bars all within walking distance and a full grocery store is less than a block away.

Chicago is a pretty difficult place to find a good value hotel. For me, this place was a perfect combination of location (ideal), comfort and price.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Thanks, halifaxns, for the wonderful review! It's great to hear all that you loved about your stay. We'd love to have you back again soon!