“Loved it!”

Ranked #25 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Alcala De Henares, Spain
“Loved it!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We found a good rate for this hotel and were'nt very sure of what we will find.
It's in a fantastic location, we walked everywhere! Complimentary coffee and wifi worked perfectly.
The room was clean and cozy. We even had a microwave and a small freezer.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The husband and I generally stay at the Swissotel on our bi-annual trips to Chicago (and we still love them) but we were so very impressed with the Acme Hotel. Booked our room using Hot Rooms (as the majority of Chicago rooms were popping up in the $300 range) - we were in Chicago for our wedding anniversary. Received a nightly rate of $185. Check in was with Sondra who was incredibly friendly and personable (she provided several great recommendations to us over the course of our stay)! The vibe of the hotel is boutique and funky. Loved the records on the elevator wall. It took us a few trips up and down to realize that that the albums on the wall were the artists playing over the elevator muzak. The rooms were fairly comparable to room sizes of the the hotels we have stayed in San Francisco or London. Since we were not traveling with our child - the smaller size was fine -- we were not in the room for most of the time - so why a big room. Bed was very comfortable. The husband greatly enjoyed the relaxing shower. Loved the chalk board on the door. However if you write any sort of funny Walking Dead reference (Don't Open Dead Inside) -- your housekeeper will not come and clean the room (or provide towels) HA! The knock and drop coffee is really a super awesome bit of customer service. I LOVE THIS SERVICE. Plus the coffee was pretty all right too. Oh we faced the alley (not the street) and yes - it was dark - but you know what - it did not really bother us in the slightest.

Love this hotel and will be recommending it to all of our friends

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hello, Durandrea!

It's wonderful to hear that the ACME made your favorites list. Thank you for telling us what you loved about your stay. A note on the elevators just for your information: all of the albums displayed come from the owner's personal collection. Isn't that neat?

I'm glad you were able to get creative with the chalk board on the door. I must admit, I chuckled at your Walking Dead comment. Great reference!

Lastly, I'm so glad you were able to enjoy our Morning Joe service as it is something we're very proud to offer.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. We'd absolutely love to have you back next time you're in Chicago!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I chose the hotel based upon its convenient location and good rates. My room was quite a decent size (by Chicago standards). Rooms appeared newly refurbished and well equipped. My 17" laptop did not fit into the safe but anything smaller certainly would. I wasnt fussed by the style of the decor but it wasnt so outlandish as to be a bother. The complimentary bathroom products were lovely. Views are only of the parking lot across the way so unfortunately nothing special. Staff were friendly and helpful. My room was by the elevator and there was some noise audible from there but I only noticed it when I was already awake. I would stay here again in the future,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Alyce J
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed here for one night and had a great time in this little boutique find that used to be a Comfort Inn. We got a good weeknight deal through their website for a king room - the decor is new, feels lofty, and they definitely try to make things more fun and hip at this hotel. Check in was smooth and friendly, our room and bathroom were a good size with a built in table and booth seating as well. Free wifi and morning thermos of coffee (you let them know the night before when you want it delivered) were also good. Our room didn't have a closet, which wasn't a big deal for us, but might be if your stay is a longer one. The gym was small but well equipped, and we didn't get to use the hot tub or sauna in the basement. Location can't be beat. Overall a great little stay and I'd definitely recommend this cute hotel.

Room Tip: We asked for a quieter room, so we got one facing an inner courtyard rather than the street.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank d_p_richards
Hi, d_p_richards!

Thanks for your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay at the ACME. It's great to hear that you'd recommend us to others, and we certainly appreciate it! Please come back and see us again soon.
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because of the location (so close to everything except the Museums), but fell in love with the fun decor. We had our granddaughter with us and she loved it! It is only about half of a mile from the American Girl doll store. Pizza Uno and Due are just a block or two away, as well as Potrillos (the Chicago Hot Dog). My granddaughter's favorite restaurant was the Rainforest Cafe (2 blocks away), and just around the corner is the Hard Rock. There is also a Trader Joe's a block away. I had a little trouble with the woman at the front desk when we first checked in (English was not her first language), but Captain Carl came to our rescue and saved us. He stored our luggage until we could go to our room and gave us instructions on how to use the adjoining parking garage. The beds are super comfortable. All the apple plugs and free WiFi. Because we had our granddaughter, we opted for a room with 2 Queen beds instead of the normal single King. Our room cost about 30 more, but we had a seating area and a wet bar with a microwave and fridge. Well worth it. Don't forget to look for the trapeeze performers in the courtyard while you are there! Also, don't forget about the free thermos of coffee delivered to your door each morning - it was great!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank skbroth
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Several of my college friends and I had a girls weekend trip to Chicago this past spring and stayed at the ACME. What a delight! This hotel could not be in a better location. Just blocks for the Magnificent Mile, we walked to most sites we visited throughout the trip! Literally one block from RPM Italian for any of you Guliana and Bill fans! The free breakfast was HUGE and filling. The hotels decor is quirky and fun. We had ZERO noise issues. Another perk: they let us check-in early so we didn't have to lug our suitcases around the city the first day we arrived. The concierge was super helpful as well. I would definitely stay there again when I head to Chi-town! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a street view, higher up. Our room was high, but interior so our view was a parking garage a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hello, Jamie D!

Thanks for the fantastic review! And thanks for choosing the ACME for your girls trip to Chicago. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and that our staff were so accommodating. Please visit us again next time you're in the city!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here for a conference that was held in Chicago, checked in on Saturday and checked out on Wednesday. I booked the hotel well in advance, at least 6-7 months, and from what I can remember the price was very fair. Everyone working there was friendly and helpful right from the start. While we were there the restaurant/bakery addition was not completed so unfortunately we missed out on that. The free wireless came in handy and the room was a perfect size for just one person. Comfortable bed in the room although the lack of closet threw me off a bit but considering the size of the room, I'm not sure where they would put one. I loved the bathroom and the artistic touches, I didn't really care for the shower-head though. You can't move the direction of the water very well and the pressure isn't the greatest. The location was perfect though, walking distance to everything that we needed. I absolutely recommend this hotel, give it a try!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business