Visited Chicago for four days, three nights in mid-July, and found a good deal for this hotel through Travelocity. That said, even without the deal, the price is great for a hotel right in the heart of the city.
We stayed in one of the standard king rooms (non-City View, so had a nice view of the parking garage next door, haha). Room was plenty big for two adults, in particular the bed (we both noted that it felt like we each had our own bed). No big frills, but none are needed - everything you need to be comfortable for an extended stay. Rooms were very clean, which was a great treat given some prior hotel stays on family vacations. We both noted we loved the hardwood floors vs. a more traditional but potentially less-clean carpeting. Wish there was more 'hanging' space, but unless you're doing an extended stay (more than 4-5 days) there's plenty there for you to use, including hangars, an ironing board and iron, and a few drawers. One nice perk was the thermostat in-room, which we were able to adjust to our personal preference (good in the heat of July).
The hotel definitely had a lot of 'quirk' factor, which is great if you're into that; gave the hotel a lot of character. Hotel staff (both front-desk and not) were incredibly friendly and helpful, from the moment we checked in to a post-stay call regarding some billing issues. I'm not sure if it is just a case-by-case basis, but of the five or six front-desk staff we met, all of them were very helpful, friendly, and accommodating. Can't say I agree with the negative reviews of the staff; either they're a bit more sensitive than we are, or the staff have cleaned up their act a lot since then.
The hotel is in a great location, one block from a red-line metro stop, and about three blocks from the Magnificent Mile, right in the heart of a lot of restaurants and jazz clubs. Grant/Millenium park is just a short train ride (or somewhat-short walk) away. Made for a great home base for our vacation and tourism, and easy to return to by bus or train.
We didn't make use all of the hotel's amenities, but we toured the hotel a bit on our first night and saw the gym (small, but effective), spa (really nice feature for a hotel in the heart of the city, given no pool), and lounges (one of which is temporarily serving a delicious free continental breakfast, soon to be replaced with a unique room service set-up). Same amenities of any traditional hotel (your Westin, Holiday Inn, etc.) but scaled down to the point that it's not overbearing.
Also, should note the huge TVs in the rooms - we didn't make use of ours once, since most of our time was out of the room, but it's there and chock-full of channels for you if you're into that. Includes Apple and HDMI connections as well for the more tech-savvy traveler.
In short, if you're looking for an affordable, comfortable place to sleep and act as a home base for you while visiting Chicago, ACME Hotel Company is a great place to make your stay. There are plenty of features for those who want to make use of them, but even if you don't (as we didn't) it's a comfortable place to stay with great access and at an affordable price. By no means a 'luxury' hotel, but if you're looking for that in the city, there are places with much higher price tags that I'm sure will better suit your tastes. For the rest, this is a great, affordable, comfortable place to stay on your visit to the city, and I will definitely be staying here next time I'm in town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stylish Downtown Chicago Hotel. The brand new ACME Hotel Company in downtown Chicago offers a modern hotel experience with stylish decor, a high-tech vibe, affordable rates and so much more.Located 2 ½ blocks from the Magnificent Mile in the River North neighborhood, ACME is downtown Chicago's all new boutique hotel alternative.If you appreciate an eye for design and dig a high-tech vibe, you'll feel right at home. We'd like to call ourselves cool, or hip, because we are, but that just feels like bragging. But mostly, ACME is what we consider approachable - in more ways than one. The fact is, we want your experience at our downtown Chicago hotel to blow your mind, not your budget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your ACME Hotel Company Chicago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn And Suites Downtown
- Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown Hotel Chicago
- Comfort Inn Downtown
- Comfort Inn Chicago
- Chicago Comfort Inn