“Mixology at its Best!”

Ranked #164 of 10,078 Restaurants in Chicago
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Loop
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Most impressive drinks in the city, pioneer in modern mixology and a very unique experience. We were lucky enough to get in at the last minute as we were in the area and the doorman let us in. This is a great date spot!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

These guys are serious mixologist. For someone who truly wants to enjoy a great libation, this is the place to go. Some of the most unique and imaginative concoctions I've ever experienced.

I ordered a prefix menu. The Dune buggy, Martinez and School Lunch.

The dune buggy was an acidic yet sweet drink. The rum is tacit as it's drown by the incredible medley of watermelon and 4 different little kickers--jalapeno, kiwi, ginger and something else i forgot. But really good.

The Martinez was Cointreau with frozen spheres of maraschino. You can taste the vermouth in the background but what really pleases the pallet is the maraschino melting in your mouth while it swims in cointreau. amazing.

Now my favorite: School lunch served in a glass that's shaped like a milk carton on top of an old school "masters of the universe" lunch pale! it was epic! The drink was nutty, creamy, sweet and milky. It was the perfect blend of rum and nuts. Incredibly good and visually pleasing.

Now service varied from person to person. Our server was great. But the dude that sat us was kind of saucy. I didn't care for that guy much.

There was a team that took care of us. There was our initial server, then the guy who dropped off drinks, and the female that closed us out. All were super nice. Another female even walked us to the restroom area. Little things like that really enhance customer experience.

I'll have to admit drinks are pricey. But they will have a pleasing visual aesthetic and made with love. And they will taste great.

There's a comfortable ambiance that's sophisticated and modern. Yet classic and simple.

I will definitely return next time I am Chicago.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Aviary is the pioneer of modern mixology and, I am certain when I mention that, in the future, many will follow the path set by Chef Grant Achatz and Charles Joly.

The experience at The Aviary was unique for my wife and I: we were treated to the chef's table, which is located inside the kitchen. This gave us the rare opportunity to witness how this unique group of professionals put all their passion into creating unique cocktails combined with great food.

The combination of cocktails was out of this world and I can't even select which one was our favorite. Everything was perfect: from the tailor-made tableware designed for every cocktail, the outstanding cocktails which were out of this world, to the staff with which we had the immense honor of talking to; it was a delight which was the highlight of our trip to Chicago.

I have no doubt in my mind that many venues will now follow this trend but there is only one place that started it all: The Aviary.

We would like to congratulate everyone for making us the happiest people in Chicago.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We travel a lot and it's becoming difficult to find unique experiences. The Aviary fits the bill when it comes to a unique cocktails. I saw a review in AFAR magazine and had to see the concoction they mix in what can only be described as a porthole with a drinking spout. Fantastic, floating herbs and spices in a see-through glass of alcohol. Luckily there were 10 of us so I could taste a variety of drinks. Otherwise I would have been very drunk and very broke before I sampled everything I wanted. Each specialty drink is between $17 and $23. I chose the a tilted glass with frozen mango puree up the inside of the, thawing next to a fruity mixture of goodness. There was also a huckleberry cocktail that was distilled at our table. Each drink is carefully crafted in a drink kitchen and the wait staff is super knowledgeable about the ingredients and process. Ask a lot of questions. They are happy to oblige.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Superb food and drinks menu .Atmosphere is terrific and would encourage everyone to visit without a second thought