“Lincoln Square Gem - Michelin quality food and BYOB”
Review of Goosefoot

Goosefoot
Reserve with OpenTable
Goosefoot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #497 of 9,548 Restaurants in Chicago
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: North Washtenaw Ave.
Transit: Brown Line Rockwell Stop – Walk one and a half blocks north on Rockwell, turn left on Lawrence, walk 2 blocks.
Chicago
“Lincoln Square Gem - Michelin quality food and BYOB”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We have had the occasion to dine at Chris Nugent's lovely, refined artisanal restaurant has developed a large and devoted following. Service is sleek, professional and helpful and you can prepare your wine selections in advance, by checking on-line for the current menu offering. You bring your own and they supply the quality glassware and appropriate TLC for some of your favorite wines.The style is French in preparation with best of local small farm products and seasonal fare. The scene is intimate and makes for a lovely night out with friends. The 'goosefoot' is an edible fern plant, slightly salty in taste, used as an herb or in salads. Who knew - I thought they specialized in poultry... Reserve well in advance - it will be well worth the effort. Menu is fixed price and consists of 9 courses - nicely paced service enhances the experience.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank rswfmChicago

Benton Harbor, Michigan
“Delicious and BYOB!”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The food was very, very good...we loved being able to bring our own wine. I think the location lacked in luster since it was very far from really any nightlife...it also took a bit to get a cab back to the area we were staying. Go for the food though!

Visited June 2014
Chicago, Illinois, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Goosefootin”
Reviewed June 3, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Goosefoot was a wonderful experience. The food was Michelin quality in my opinion. A big plus was the BYO option without a corkage fee. The only down part was that the courses came out a little too spaced out and added to the time which was 3 1/2 hours +.

Visited May 2014
Chicago
“Relax and Enjoy the experience and the company.”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

If you are looking for a restaurant where you are in and out in an hour, this is NOT a place for you. At this restaurant, Chef Nugent and his wife Nina, wants the diners to have an experience where you can just relax, enjoy your wine (BYOB), taste creative cuisine, and enjoy your time with the people you are with.

This place requires that you plan ahead since it takes a couple months to get a reservation. My husband and I make reservations here for most of our special occasions way ahead of time. Before we leave, we make reservation for our next dinner.

This time, we went on my birthday. Nina and her staff went out of their way to make it a special day for me. All of them acknowledge my birthday, and in the end Nina even gave me a signed menu from her and her husband. I love the menu (see picture) since it is printed on planting seed paper (which I plant every year - pretty wildflowers).

The menu is 9 wonderful courses, so you will need to pace yourself with the alcohol. The most recent reservation, we only brought 1 bottle of champagne and thought that we may run out of drinks before all our food came out. I sent my poor husband out to get more wine (which was 2 blocks away but NOT very good selection). For the future, I would advise to bring at least 2 bottles for a couple. Last time we brought 4 half bottles to pair with the different courses. That seemed to work well last time, except we both felt a little tipsy by the time we were done. But one bottle is just not enough to enjoy with all the different courses. Remember its all about enjoying the experience by talking, drinking, and eating throughout the night.

Since my writing is not as creative as the courses that the chef created, I have attached pictures of each of the courses. All the courses were excellent, but I have indicated my favorites:

Course 1 - Scallops (which my husband thought was best in the city)
Course 2 - Eggs cooked in the shell (Just the best.., One of my favorites of the night).
Course 3 - Sunchoke Soup ( It looked so good that I didn't wait until it cooled down and burnt my tongue a bit. I would come back again and again just for the soup).
Course 4 - Salmon that was perfectly cooked.
Course 5 - Rabbit ( that was served in a glass, with some type of risotto (creamy texture)).
Course 6 - Angus Beef (Melted in your mouth)
Course 7 - Cheese Course like I have never had in any other place. It was 2 different things on the plate. One was a small cheese stuffed mini beignet. The other was a red liquid cheese shot. Interesting, creative, tasty. But my least favorite of the night but still very very good.
Course 8 - Guava Mouse dessert. Tasty Tasty Foam. Yum!!
Course 9 - Chocolate filled with banana cream.

If you love food and want a wonderful experience with company you enjoy, indulge one night and make a reservation at Goosefoot. Don't get discouraged when you can NOT make a reservation right away (you need to plan at least 2 months prior to get one). It is worth the wait. Nina, the chef, and the staff will make it a great experience for you.

Thanks to Nina, Chef, and the staff. I had a great birthday!!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank GreeneChicago
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Prepare for an evening of gastonomic indulgance”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

My best friend and I made reservations for her birthday based on the reviews on line. We both share an extensive repitore of food/restaurant experiences- especially 5 star throughout the world. We have lived in Chicago and were familar with the area-which is off the beaten path so to speak. Parking was not an issue. Upon arriving we were immediately greated by chef's wife and co-owner who took our coats and sat us promptly. The decor is fresh and minimal and not distracting, and not warm- but appropriate- clean lines. Service was fabulous. Presentation also clean and creative. Note however, this was an 11 course experience with prefix menu. Highest quality ingredients most certainly. After the third course- a most delish chestnut soup-cream based, the base of this soup which was also heavy in aromatics, seemed too quickly repeated in the rabbit dish, and therefore was lost and actually ruined the courses following until our palette had a rest. One or the other course needs to be removed in order to balance the menu. After this hiccup, we were back on track and very pleased yet extremely saciated. The portions overall were appropriate- and attention to detail was spot on. The chocolates were amazing- a spin off soon to come by chef.
YES- it was fabulous- and expensive but knowing this there was no surprise. It also took 4 hours to experience this menu. Enjoy!!

• Visited March 2014