“Great sushi awesome atmosphere ”

Union Sushi + Barbeque Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Sushi + Barbeque Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #393 of 9,838 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Sushi, Barbecue, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin and Erie
Transit: Purple and Brown Line EL stop on Chicago and Franklin. Number 11 CTA Bus stop on Orleans/Erie and Wells/Huron.
Description: Union Sushi + Barbeque Bar is a bustling neighborhood restaurant located in Chicago's popular River North neighborhood. Union combines the tempered art of Japanese dining with a fresh, colorful and urban vibe. Embracing an American warmth and personality, this playful juxtaposition reveals a restaurant that is welcoming, accommodating and stylish. A true riff on what is expected or traditional - East or West.Union ups the ante on Japanese dining with its high-energy beat, creativity and playful approach to Japanese-influenced cuisine. The menu boasts a variety of flavorful offerings from the Kitchen, Sushi Bar and signature Barbeque Bar showcasing the 600° Robata Grill. The beverage program offers a varied cocktail menu of carefully handcrafted and inventive cocktails. A thorough sake collection is available as well as extensive craft beers, liquors and a spirited wine list.
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

The black rice sushi is awesome the atmosphere is rock with 80s rock playing and graphite covered walls and I will have to admit a first for me FRESH WASABI love it ! Great service great food great laid back atmosphere

Reviewed April 13, 2014

This trendy spot has a creative menu. They have excellent sushi, a nice variety of drinks and meat skewer options....really something for everyone. Happy hour is 5-6:30 if you are looking for a deal. You can eat here anytime and walk away really satisfied.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

A friend and I went there just for oysters and cocktails. Oysters were 1$ ea.. We looked at the menu and talked to the bar tender and decided to stay for dinner. The menu is the most eclectic I have ever seen. We tried everything from sushi to prosciutto wrapped scallops and skewered beef.
It was all excellent. There is something great for everyone. I am going again with a bunch of people. The oysters were Virginia blue points served with a minnuette sauce. NOT THE CHEAP ONES! Delicious.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

A mind blowing selection of different dishes and styles. It is very easy to spend a fortune as you decide to have 'just one more' dish. Highly recommended.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was not the best asian fusion I've had but it was a pleasant dinner. Very highly rated but little I would RAVE about. I could have eaten another bowl of the roasted cauliflower salad ~ so yummy. The raw fish was very fresh and served nicely. The mussels were very tasty and we finished off the broth! Our cocktails were good but mine was a light on the alcohol ~ my husbands was excellent...can't remember the name but there as a number in the title (no cocktail menu on the website). The grilled items were good but I was surprised the sparerib didn't have more flavor ~ falling off the bone tender but didn't wow me beyond that. The black rice was fun and tasty with the rolls and the fresh wasabi made the experience even better.

The atmosphere was fun and hip, surprisingly not too loud, and the people watching was great! I would ask for a seat in front of the grill next time as it would be fun to watch and see the food. Our waiter was great and made a lot of recommendations for us.

I would definitely try Union Sushi again and be more adventurous in what I order to see if I could find that WOW factor that everyone talks about.