“Nice stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Moscow, Russia
“Nice stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

Very nice stay in windy Chicago. Location is very convinient to everything, 2 min to nearest subway station Chicago-Red. Hotel was not overcrowded, due to low season, but service was on very professional level. We have got an upgrade to Junior Suite - room was not very spacy, but very comfy and nicely decorated, with great view and amazing bed. French touch in every detail. Merci Sofitel!

PS: Tip: If you are looking for a good American breakfast - better to visit Tempo Cafe (next to hotel) with their great selection of scrabbled eggs and sandwiches.

• 5 of 5 stars
HotelManagerOffice, Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted that you enjoyed your suite, and we thank you for complimenting our hotel and staff! Our goal is always to exceed our guests’ expectations. Along with my fellow Sofitel Ambassadors, I look forward to welcoming you again soon at our Chicago property

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

My girlfriend and I decided to take a 3 night stay in Chicago for fun. Looking through reviews, we figured that the Sofitel would be a nice place to relax. It turned out to be very disappointing.

Rooms: Our room was unbearably dry! I could not breathe properly during the entire stay. Granted, it was winter... but I had no problems breathing the outdoor Chicago air. I would wake up in the middle of the night because the air in the room was too dry. I ended up placing wet tissues under my nose just to help me breathe.

I am very picky about cleanliness, so this may be acceptable to some people. When we first arrived, the beds had what looked like other people's hair (perhaps pubic), maybe 5-6 strands scattered around that I could find. At first, I questioned whether or not the sheets were cleaned, but I realized that the sheets and bedding had a lot of static--- so I'm guessing that they were washed, but some hairs were never able to come off in the wash.

Another issue was that on two different mornings, starting around 9AM, we would hear small hammering sounds from nearby. It sounded like it came from an adjacent room next to us (maybe some sort of construction or renovation?). Definitely not what I want to be hearing when I want to sleep in and relax!

Location: Probably the only thing I liked about the hotel. It was in a good location -right next to Michigan Avenue, and about a 15 minute walk to Navy Pier- one afternoon we had a pleasant walk from Navy Pier back to the hotel.

Service: When I needed to resolve an issue over the phone about my reservation, I was told to leave a voice message for the reservations manager. I'm always hesitant about leaving voice mails, but I was reassured that she was "good at checking her voice mails", but after leaving a detailed message, I never received a callback. Though, front desk was friendly and polite.

Overall, staying in this hotel pretty much ruined our planned-to-be relaxing Chicago visit. The one thing this hotel was successful at was denting my wallet.

5 Thank hosum
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. Your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests.

Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the unpleasant issues that you experienced during your stay. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for, and therefore we take your comments and suggestions very seriously. Please rest assured that I have shared your experience with our Housekeeping, Reservations, and Engineering departments, and we have taken the appropriate measures to address and educate our staff.

I invite you to contact me at sofitel.chicagowatertower.com for a more in-depth discussion of the issues you had during your stay. Our relationship with our guests is of paramount importance. We hope that you will present us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

My fiance and I traveled here to celebrate our engagement in January 2011. The hotel is in a perfect location, right by most of the big Chicago destinations and restaurants. The hotel is very sleek and cool, with very nice bathrooms. Brian, the concierge, was amazing in consistently coming through with great recommendations. Every night the hotel does a turndown service, which is very nice as well. The highlight of the hotel for us was the bed, which had to be the most comfortable bed my fiance and I have ever slept in, at least in recent memory. There were only a few slight negatives but they were easily overlooked: the water from our sink wasn't clear, and our television's sync was off by a frame. Before you book be sure to look around online for better prices, I was able to score a Junior Suite at a simply awesome price. This hotel is very nice, beautiful, and highly recommended. Also recommended: the Signature Lounge at the top of the Hancock Building, the Drawing Room for drinks, the Coq D'Or in the Drake hotel, and Topolbampo for dinner.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Unique architecture from the outside. My room was a deluxe which had a view of the Hancock tower (the best view of Chicago by the way is from the bar at the top of this building). The Hotel is in the heart of the action and next to designer shops and restaurants. The rooms are large,clean, fancy and modern. Bathroom comes with all the extras (slippers, TV) great bed and desk. Staff is very good and even says "bonjour " in French to keep the Sofitel theme although no one really speaks french. Bottom line, this hotel has a very expensive feel to it at a reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I had one Sofitel stay prior to the Chicago Water Tower facility (Bangkok) and it was excellent. So, my expectations were high. Wish I could have something nicer to write... First off, it was soo expensive. We wanted centrally located so were willing to pay for the convenience. The Sofitel Water Tower location can't be beat, it was perfect, within walking distance of so much stuff. When we checked in, they only had a smoking room left for that night (even though we had reservations) and would move us to another room the next day. The smoking room was BAD, chipped furniture, stained area rugs, pieces of gum on the coffee table, all for a low price of $350! We were compensated by 3 drink tickets for the bar. The next day, they moved our stuff to the room we actually reserved. Luckily it was cleaner. The thing that ticked me off most was that we had a junior suite, which is basically a larger room with a king size bed and sofa bed. Our party was for three (myself, husband and teenage son), so you would think the hotel staff would know one of us would be sleeping on the sofa bed? Wrong. Not only did they not make up the sofa bed or ask, there were no sheets/blankets/pillows for it either. So I had to call room service, and they brought up one flat sheet, a small thin blanket and pillow. I said I would like two sheets, and maybe another blanket...all in all, a pain in the butt.. I don't recommend this hotel at all, unless you get a deal for like $150 or something. and no free internet.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family