“Excellent choice”

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #21 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 14, 2007

We really enjoyed the Sofitel, it was in an excellent location was clean and the beds were to die for so comfortable. We only had breakfast in the restaurant so cant comment on lunches or dinners but what we had for breakfast was v. good and not expensive either.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank J026

Reviewed September 6, 2007

My husband and I spent Labor Day weekend at the hotel and from the minute we pulled up to valet (word of caution, it's $40 per day) until we checked out, we were delighted by the experience. At check in, we were upgraded to an upper level room that directly faced the Hancock Building...fabulous view! The rooms are styled similar to those in the trendier European hotels (reminded me so much of hotels I've stayed in when in Holland). We couldn't beat the location, service, and style for the price. We actually thought it was a steal. I'd recommend pre-paying if possible. We saved $150 on our bill by doing so. We'll be staying at the Sofitel when we visit Chicago from now on.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank FLBayBunny
Reviewed September 2, 2007

Do not stay at this hotel if you plan to do any sightseeing as the beds are seriously comfortable - you will not want to leave!

The hotel is ideally located just off Michigan Avenue (2 blocks), but far enough away that you don't have all the hustle and bustle. The location of course makes it ideal for shopping and the sightseeing if you can get out of bed, or it's of course perfect for collapsing into after a hard day!

The rooms are modern and well furnished, with fantastic views of Chicago. Did I mention how great the beds were?!

The restaurant (Cafe Des Architectes) was really nice with great breakfast, although I found the service a bit of a let down.

I really can't rave about this hotel enough and it would be my first choice in Chicago (and other locations) in future!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank RhiannonL
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Returned to this hotel recently for another weekend getaway to chicago. In the 3 years that I have been staying here can say that the experience remains above-average. Whilst my style of hotel would run more towards that of the Peninsula, I prefer the feeling of
being at this hotel.

-Rooms continue to be well-maintained; super clean, beds extremely comfortable, ample toiletries. I have generally stayed in suites here but arranged a room for my brother that he indicated was extremely comfortable.

-Service always great; polite, friendly and helpful staff are the general rule here.

-Sofitel bar; one of the best hotel bars you will find in chicago; great vibe, great service, outstanding meeting place. Major plus for this hotel.

Because my objectives in chicago are only 2-night weekend getaways perhaps I do not seek as much from a hotel than others on this site but I cannot recall anything negative about this hotel. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2007
5  Thank Gilgameshed
Reviewed August 24, 2007

I've stayed at MANY MANY hotels (for business and pleasure) and I have to say that Sofitel Chicago is probably the BEST hotel experience I've ever had! We went to this hotel for a romantic getaway weekend and simply loved the entire experience.

OVERALL
First of all the hotel is VERY French (french style, french decor, french staff). My boyfriend is also French so I think it felt a bit like home to him. The staff were also curteous, genuine, and helpful.

THE ROOM
Our room had floor to ceiling windows with an unbelievable view of the entire city. The decor was fantastic - everything looked new and modern, the beds were AMAZING and the lighting/ ambiance in the room was perfect.

THE FOOD
The food at the hotel restaurant was great - not blow your mind away amazing - but for the price it was quite good. The best part is that they bake their own French bread - and it's INCREDIBLE. They even sent us home with a fashionable looking doggie bag full of fresh baked bread.

Stayed: May 2007
7  Thank Otonita1
Reviewed August 22, 2007

Had a wonderful experience at the sofitel. Have had not so great experiences at other sofitels (found them very sterile). Chicago sofitel was in a perfect location for going out and shopping, rooms were sizaeable, clean and stylish. Rate for the hotel (about USD 260 / night) was far cheaper than the nearby Peninsula or four seasons. Would definitely recommend it - good business center as well

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank Jackbauer71
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Hubby and I stayed here this past weekend (Aug 17-Aug 19)

The service from the staff was very, very attentive. I think, after valeting our car, we had 6 people greet us and/or open doors for us. It was stunning!

Check in was ok, but I had booked this hotel 6 months ago and had called once before my stay to make sure they had my Sofitel privlege card in the system. I was assured they did. Upon check-in, I found out, they did not. We did end up getting our 'free drink' coupon but not until the very end of our stay (when we could no longer use it.) Also, no newspaper outside of our door at all. One of the big pluses I like about staying at any hotel is the free newspapers to read. I can't believe we were paying over 350 per night and didn't even get a lousy newspaper.

The room was nice, but certainly nowhere close to being one of the nicest I've stayed in. Not even equipped with flat screen televisions. Hubby commented on that right away. So odd. The sitting room was all 'art deco' and was not very 'welcoming' really. Would have been perfect if we had been hosting people for drinks or something, which we were not, but the area was not very comfortable to just 'hang out in.' The TV was placed so far away from the couch that faced it, that the whole scheme of the 'sitting room' didn't make much sense.

The location of the hotel is good. It's a couple of blocks from the 'top' of the Magnificent Mile of shopping, but not far from everything if you are up to a walk and are in good health.

Definitely go next door to the Tempo Grill for breakfast. It's fast and very good!

The highlight of the Sofitel is the excellent concierge. One of them (named Jackie) actually got us an extra last minute ticket to a sold-out Second City show (we had tickets but needed one for a friend.) All of our interactions with the concierge at this hotel were top notch.

All in all, it's a nice hotel. It's well decorated and very attentive staff. However, the little things like not having a view of the lake (from most rooms,) not having a daily newspaper delivery, and not being right on the Mag. Mile, are detractors when you are paying what we were paying. I don't feel like I wasted my $$ but I do feel that I could have gotten more for less (if that makes sense.)

• Stayed: August 2007