Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
The Peninsula
$240
$215
  • Breakfast included
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$199
$324
Agoda.com
$149
  • Fitness center
Hotel Versey - Days Inn Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$159
$144
The Talbott Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
$279
$195
  • Restaurant
4,547 results
All reviewsle barprestige suitegreat locationwater towerhancock towerrush stroom servicemichigan avenuecomfortable bedbeautiful hotelturn down servicethe gold coastlarge bathroomtwo blockshigh floormag milemagnificent mile
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We stayed at the Sofitel Water Tower in Chi-town for our anniversary weekend. I chose this hotel after a month of researching many hotels in the area. We had heard from people that the Sofitel in DC was a very nice place to stay and after reading the reviews on this one we decided to try it. The lobby of the hotel is very nicely decorated and the staff was helpful. Our suite on the 33rd floor had a good city view and the modern style of the room was pleasant as well (I am an interior designer and pretty picky about decor). We also liked the fact that the plasma TV was on a swivel so we could watch it from the sofa, or from the bed. The bathroom was nice, and although the shower was a bit on the small side, I enjoyed the L'occitane (French I assume) spa products offered. The icing on the cake for me though was the bar in the hotel. The atmosphere there was like no other, I could have stayed in there the entire time and they make a great dirty martini. The only complaint I can think of is that the waitress in the bar area couldn't find the NBA semi-finals on the TV in the bar area. She searched for a while then came and told us that she guessed they didn't have TNT. We were a bit shocked because we had just been watching it in our room before we came down. That was certainly minor, so it just goes to show you how well we enjoyed the hotel. The location was great as we were able to walk up to Michigan Ave in about 2 minutes and we walked to the Navy Pier in about 25.
As a side note, the Tempo Cafe on the corner has the best breakfast (get the pancakes) and Ditkas (down the street) has a good menu and great food!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I was traveling with my wife and two young children and decided to splurge on a "suite" at the Sofitel, given its excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. Although I lived in Chicago for six years, I've been away for nearly as long. Therefore, I assumed from the hotel's name "Sofitel at the Chicago Water Tower" that it was actually in the Water Tower Building. That of course is the Ritz, and the Sofitel is actually a block or two away.

When we got up to our room, I was a bit disappointed as I had imagined a true suite with a separate bedroom where we could put our kids to sleep and close the door. When I called the front desk, they indicated that they did have such rooms, but it would be a $50 upgrade/night. We decided to do it, even though we were already paying over $200/night. I'm very glad we did.

The the second room was much larger, and we did end up putting the kids to bed and spending the evening talking with friends. One of our friends was pregnant and ended up going into labor that night right in our room. We were able to get her over to Northwestern very easily while her husband went and grabbed the bag with all of their supplies. The comforts of the room were very nice to have in that situation.

The only disappointment came when we called housekeeping around 1 PM to have them put sheets on the rollaway bed so our daughter could nap. They indicated they would bring them right up. I called again after 20 minutes, and they seemed surprised that I wanted them right away, but assured me someone was on the way. The concierge even called five minutes later to see if someone had brought them. Unfortunately, we still didn't have the sheets. After ninety minutes, we still didn't have any sheets and it was too late for her to take a nap.

I called the manager (Jeff) later in the day to explain the situation. He was very apologetic, and assured me that he would personally make sure the sofabed was made up before we returned from dinner. When we did return, the bed was made and Jeff had even given the kids cookies and milk and a free movie. It was a very kind gesture and much appreciated gesture. I know that lapses in service can occur, but responses like Jeff's make me forget about them and remember the best things about the hotel. I'll definitely consider the Sofitel next time I'm looking to splurge in Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Joe S
Reviewed July 8, 2009

We spent our 4th of July weekend at Sofitel, and would definitely return again, the rooms are great, the beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are spacious, modern, and well appointed. We didnt try any of the restaurants, however we did hang out at the bar, use the business center to check in online for our flights early, and also found the stocked mini fridge conveinent (fee for food and drinks of course). THis location is walking distance to Michigan and State Sts and also very close to rush st for great bars and restaurants. Tempo Cafe - next door to hotel is also great for brunch or late night dining - just note that they only take cash and tend to have a wait around breakfast/brunch times. You will also be in walking distance to Walgreens for anything you need as well as a Giordano's for great pizza - love this place and would definitely return! We had a basic room and it was just fine for us, since we were out and about most of the day

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2009

Had a great stay at the Sofitel. From the front desk to the bartenders and housekeep. Great place to stay for the price. Much different from other hotels. Very modern and upscale.We had a problem with our bill because we move some of the item in the mini refrig to fit our left over dinner food. Call the front desk and asked for a small frig and recieved one with no charge. Our bill was fixed and our stay was great. A very quite hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Simply the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. The building, staff, beds and bathroom are all exquisite.

We don't normally spend this much on a room, but it was worth it.

Well worth the price...