“Amazing Hotel”

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #24 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 3, 2009

This hotel was amazing. We had a suite and it was very comfortable. The room was very clean and tidy.
It was in a perfect location and felt very safe.
The staff were all very friendly towards us and very polite.
The free internet was nice although I couldn't seem to get the wireless to work for free and had to use the network cable on the desk.
The highlight was the bathroom! Have never stayed in a hotel with such a huge bathroom!
Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lasvegaskid
Write a ReviewReviews (4,406)

Reviewed January 3, 2009

Mostly great with a few islands of relatively minor problems. First the good: Outside of the hotel and lobby were decorated like a winter wonderland, as befitted the season. The restaurant service was absolutely flawless ( servers who don't write orders because they are expected to remember them, remember clients clearly from one day to the other, and go above and beyond consistently). Rooms are comfortable: yes the beds are great! The gym is well equipped. Second the slightly off putting:
mmmhh...we got the "I love chocolate package" which advertized: bfast every day, dinner once, snack once and...a gift. And we have an A-Club favorite guest membership, which also advertized " a gift". So, no gift...either for the chocolate package or the favorite guest membership. Upon enquiry, "the snack was the gift". Not at all what the package suggested. That said, bfast was sublime and the chocolate dinner outstanding as well. Some problems at checkout though: we got charged for all dining despite having booked the package and it took quite a while for a polite but seemingly less than informed front desk staff to correct the problem.

Would absolutely go back, but probably not on a special package.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank Solange72
Reviewed December 27, 2008

My wife and I take a yearly trip to The Sofitel. The hotel is perfect for our get-away. Rooms are impressively decorated, comfortable and very quiet. The staff is efficient, professional and helpful. The lounge provides a relaxing venue to enjoy a libation and conversation. We ate breakfast at tthe hotel restaurant and enjoyed it immensely. The hotel is very close to shopping areas and the Rush Street restaurant/club area. We look forward to visiting again next year,. There really is no reason to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank zrom
Reviewed December 22, 2008

Loved the modern, abstract, and innovative public areas. Food very good. Service very good. And consistent. Would definately stay here again if price was right.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2008

We used Trip Adviser when booking a hotel for our recent trip to Chicago and we weren't disappointed. The hotel is justifiably at the top of the rankings - it's in a great location, stylish but not pretentious, rooms are outstanding with everything and more you could want - and the beds are out of this world. The staff are all extremely helpful and professional as well as being extremely personable. We were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. We can recommend the hotel bar for its ambience - we also used room service which was excellent. The hotel is surrounded by great places to eat and drink - we can recommend McCormick & Schmick's right across the street for its fantastic seafood. We'd definitely stay here again when we go back to Chicago.
Chris & Viv, Manchester, England

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chrisviv
Reviewed December 10, 2008

After reading the Trip Advisor reviews, I was expecting an exceptional stay. I was not impressed overall. The concierge, the view, and the hotel resturant were the highlights. The bed, although not horrible, was not nearly as comfortable as mine at home, and I do not consider myself and extremely fussy person. I was traveling for business, and although not dressed in formalwear, was also not dressed down, but all in all, it felt a bit pretentious to me. There are better options for the money, and would gladly stay at the Sutton Place, Sheraton Towers, or Trump for the similar price and better stay. I would ask Trip Advisor to move it down in the ratings......not #1 in Chicago, in my book.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank lchilds72
Reviewed December 6, 2008

I had a hard time finding a place to stay in Chicago because a very large conference was going on. The usual place I stay was booked up, so I got a room at the Sofitel.

IT WAS AMAZING!

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. I didn't really need them besides checking in and checking out, but had no problems.

The room is amazing. I was on the 32nd floor, which is the top floor. I didn't have a view of the Hancock tower but instead had a south-east view. I still loved it. I just had the standard king room. Great bathroom, great seating area with chair and sofa and coffee table, and AMAZING bed. The bed was the most comfortable bed you can imagine sleeping on.

The bed has a feather top that is about 4-5" thick with feathers/down. Then they have a down duvet on top of that. It's like you are in a sandwich of softness. I slept so well. I never heard any sound from the hallway or other rooms, and I was right by the elevators.

The wireless internet was very reliable (T-mobile hot spot). If you don't have wireless, there is wired internet available in the room from the hotel. If you don't even have a computer, there is a business center with computers and internet access you can use for free.

The restaurant is not like any hotel restaurant. I would be happy to go out to this restaurant for a nice date or dinner anytime. The breakfast was amazing! Expect to pay about $20 after tax and tip (which includes the main course, coffee, juice, and your choice of toast or a bread basket full of an assortment of french pastries and bread).

I had dinner once in the hotel restaurant and it did not disappoint either! The atmosphere is great.

The hotel is only 2 blocks from the Chicago/State red line, so very convenient. Cabs are always close by. You are just blocks away from Water Tower Place. Yet there is relatively little traffic outside the hotel. You couldn't ask for a better location.

The turndown service with complimentary bottled water each night was welcome too. I guess if I was looking for something to complain about, there was no chocolate on the pillow. hehehehe

Seriously though, book this hotel. You will have an even more amazing trip in Chicago because of it.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business