“My too short stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower”

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #24 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“My too short stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

It was perfect. Gorgeous room. Excellent service. The most comfortable bed I can remember. Slept like a baby. From check in to check out a fantastic experience in all ways. The only drawback? I couldn't stay longer.

Room Tip: Every person I met (elevator, lobby) seemed to have a great room
Green Features: Cleanliness to the max. All I read about the environmentally friendly practices I found inspirational.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Bonjour AndreaMichaels1214,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay here at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I am so pleased by the headline you chose.
I am very happy to see that you had such a `perfect' time here at our property, and that you were so very comfortable in our world-renowned Sofitel Mybeds. Thank you as well for pointing out the sensational service your received from our entire team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Sebastien Pfeiffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spend our honeymoon for five nights from the moment we arrived until our departure we were very impressed we got an upgrade on our arrival with a great view of the Hancock tower. One thing bugged me the service in the bar is very slow we ordered a starter and 2 mains we waited 30 mins for food we got mains but no starter 5 mins later it arrived prices were very expensive you will get great food on places in rush st for better prices and service

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Simone G
Bonjour Simone G,

First of all, thank you so very much for the time you took to share your comments on TripAdvisor further to your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that your overall guest experience was wonderful and that we fulfilled our mission to make this special occasion an unique one. Congratulations to both of you!
It was a real pleasure to know that you were able to take advantage of an upgrade and that you enjoyed the beautiful view from your room. I have well noted your comments regarding the service at Le Bar and I truly regret the inconveniences. I will share your points with my team.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 14, 2014

A bit of a let down. The hotel common areas are well kept, but our suite was run down and tired looking. Attention to detail was not evident. This is a nice hotel, but is not in the same class as it's competitors by rating that are located with the same neighborhood. Also, the crowd is a bit on the young side, so we would not recommend for middle aged or older couples.

Room Tip: A high floor is a must - this is a high rise and so ask for a floor above 20 if at all possible. The...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Bonjour Phoenix051,

Thank you so much for your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us earlier this year.
I am genuinely touched that you find our hotel `nice' and the public areas `well kept'. You are so right saying that you can take advantage of beautiful views from our hotel. Thank you for sharing your tips with our valued readers.
I took good notes of your comments regarding your suite condition. This is not typical of our standards of excellence and I hope I could be able to determine in which room you were staying in.
I really look forward to seeing you soon.

Sydney
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Great Hotel in a great location. Staff are friendly. Thanks to Pierre for checking my brother an I in. Ended up getting a second room as they were just a bit too small for my Brother and I to share one bed.

Great housekeeping and generally a really well run hotel. Typical of 5 star european hotels.

One thing I will say is the restaurant needs help in speed of service but food is great.

Will stay again!
Thanks

Stayed July 2014
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Bonjour Gusan06,

Thank you very much for contributing with such a positive review.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us this summer, and that you appreciated our `great location'. That you consider our service to be `friendly' and efficient is the nicest compliment possible. Pierre was pleased to read your nice words. I took good notes of your comments regarding the service at the restaurant. Thank you very much for sharing.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back amongst us,
Best regards,

China
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed at Sofitel Chicago for 4 nights. The hotel is in a nice quiet location, but still a few meters away from North Michigan Avenue. We had room 1109 which had a good view of the John Hancocks Tower.

A number of good restaurants around and also two subway stations. We had a room with two queen size bed and room was big enough for the four of us (2 adults, 2 kids). Concierge and door staff very helpful.

The beds were extraordinarily comfortable.

Fully recommended.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Bonjour Silvano1971,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay here at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I am very happy to see that you had such an enjoyable time here at our magnifique property, and that you were so very comfortable in our world-renowned Sofitel Mybeds. Thank you as well for pointing out our sensational location just one block away from the Magnificent Mile.
I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel very soon.

Westerly, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I spent a week here on business. I had a standard room with a good view. The hotel did the catering which was pricey but quite good. The staff was friendly, if not a bit over the top.

The pluses: Great location. Great service. (I never once saw any staff but the room was always made up!) Great food. Stylish. Fast internet for a fee. Speedy elevators. My 21st floor room was quiet.

The minuses: Stark, oddly shaped, smallish, uncomfortable rooms, typical of European hotels. Furniture that looks cool but makes no sense. No conveniently located electrical outlets. It was not hot outside, but even at full cold the room never got down to a comfortable temperature. The beds are low — so low they are difficult to get out of. But they look cool. What I mean is, I think that design won over practicality, as the look is edgy, minimal, modern European, but so lacking in warmth I honestly could not wait to leave. That theme applies to everything in the place from the lobby to the meeting rooms. All of the bright, direct lighting does not help, either. The sink in my bathroom had no cold water, only hot. Strange. Now, I realize that I probably could have had this fixed, as well as the low def TV picture, but others in my group also complained of plumbing (noisy) and cable TV issues. And the place just does not feel or smell clean. A hospital feel, I guess.

If you are looking for a chic, trendy place, in a great location, designed to impress (somehow) this would be a good choice. If you want comfort and a good nights sleep there are better choices.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Bonjour tbrielmann,
I thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor following your visit at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
I was pleased to read the positive points you mentioned. I will be sure to share your kind words regarding the service with our staff and concerning the `great food' with everyone on our kitchen team. Also I was glad you appreciated our wonderful location close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.
Your description of the experience you had in the room was so not in keeping with the feedback we generally receive, yet I am very appreciative that you brought this experience to my attention. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences. We have addressed the maintenance issues. Do not hesitate to contact our Guest services agents should you need anything during your next stay with us, they stand ready to assist you.
Thank you for sharing. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Stayed at the Sofitel Water Tower for a couple of days while in Chicago. Place was very clean, staff friendly, room excellent with all modern features. Great views over the Chicago skyline and very well situated for sightseeing. Didn't have an evening meal there but the breakfasts were lovely.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Bonjour ClareO124,

What a pleasure to read your recent posting on TripAdvisor following your family stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your clean room overlooking the beautiful Chicago skyline. Most important that you and your family felt comfortable and well welcomed by our `friendly' staff.
You also highlighted Cafe des Architectes and its delicious breakfast. Thank you so much!
I hope to have you return soon.