“Great Hotel ” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney
“Great Hotel ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Great Hotel in a great location. Staff are friendly. Thanks to Pierre for checking my brother an I in. Ended up getting a second room as they were just a bit too small for my Brother and I to share one bed.

Great housekeeping and generally a really well run hotel. Typical of 5 star european hotels.

One thing I will say is the restaurant needs help in speed of service but food is great.

Will stay again!
Thanks

Stayed July 2014
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Bonjour Gusan06,

Thank you very much for contributing with such a positive review.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us this summer, and that you appreciated our `great location'. That you consider our service to be `friendly' and efficient is the nicest compliment possible. Pierre was pleased to read your nice words. I took good notes of your comments regarding the service at the restaurant. Thank you very much for sharing.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back amongst us,
Best regards,

Sebastien Pfeiffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed at Sofitel Chicago for 4 nights. The hotel is in a nice quiet location, but still a few meters away from North Michigan Avenue. We had room 1109 which had a good view of the John Hancocks Tower.

A number of good restaurants around and also two subway stations. We had a room with two queen size bed and room was big enough for the four of us (2 adults, 2 kids). Concierge and door staff very helpful.

The beds were extraordinarily comfortable.

Fully recommended.

Rooms
Bonjour Silvano1971,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay here at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I am very happy to see that you had such an enjoyable time here at our magnifique property, and that you were so very comfortable in our world-renowned Sofitel Mybeds. Thank you as well for pointing out our sensational location just one block away from the Magnificent Mile.
I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel very soon.

Westerly, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I spent a week here on business. I had a standard room with a good view. The hotel did the catering which was pricey but quite good. The staff was friendly, if not a bit over the top.

The pluses: Great location. Great service. (I never once saw any staff but the room was always made up!) Great food. Stylish. Fast internet for a fee. Speedy elevators. My 21st floor room was quiet.

The minuses: Stark, oddly shaped, smallish, uncomfortable rooms, typical of European hotels. Furniture that looks cool but makes no sense. No conveniently located electrical outlets. It was not hot outside, but even at full cold the room never got down to a comfortable temperature. The beds are low — so low they are difficult to get out of. But they look cool. What I mean is, I think that design won over practicality, as the look is edgy, minimal, modern European, but so lacking in warmth I honestly could not wait to leave. That theme applies to everything in the place from the lobby to the meeting rooms. All of the bright, direct lighting does not help, either. The sink in my bathroom had no cold water, only hot. Strange. Now, I realize that I probably could have had this fixed, as well as the low def TV picture, but others in my group also complained of plumbing (noisy) and cable TV issues. And the place just does not feel or smell clean. A hospital feel, I guess.

If you are looking for a chic, trendy place, in a great location, designed to impress (somehow) this would be a good choice. If you want comfort and a good nights sleep there are better choices.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Bonjour tbrielmann,
I thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor following your visit at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
I was pleased to read the positive points you mentioned. I will be sure to share your kind words regarding the service with our staff and concerning the `great food' with everyone on our kitchen team. Also I was glad you appreciated our wonderful location close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.
Your description of the experience you had in the room was so not in keeping with the feedback we generally receive, yet I am very appreciative that you brought this experience to my attention. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences. We have addressed the maintenance issues. Do not hesitate to contact our Guest services agents should you need anything during your next stay with us, they stand ready to assist you.
Thank you for sharing. I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Stayed at the Sofitel Water Tower for a couple of days while in Chicago. Place was very clean, staff friendly, room excellent with all modern features. Great views over the Chicago skyline and very well situated for sightseeing. Didn't have an evening meal there but the breakfasts were lovely.

Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 stars
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Bonjour ClareO124,

What a pleasure to read your recent posting on TripAdvisor following your family stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your clean room overlooking the beautiful Chicago skyline. Most important that you and your family felt comfortable and well welcomed by our `friendly' staff.
You also highlighted Cafe des Architectes and its delicious breakfast. Thank you so much!
I hope to have you return soon.

manhattan beach, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed here recently for two nights with another family, who was local to the area. They recommended staying here and said the location was excellent and we couldn't agree more. It's off Chestnut and Rush, a short walk to lots of shopping and restaurants on Rush (including the delicious Giordano's pizza) and then just a couple blocks to Michigan Ave and all the shopping there. Very friendly service and bellhops/valets were really nice and helpful. I also really liked the rooms: clean, modern but not so modern you felt uncomfortable. Roomy even for a family of 4...they had a pull out sofa which they promised to have made up for us by the time we got back from dinner (and they did), a couple of Evian waters by the bed, and the strangest but most comfortable bed, I couldn't tell if it was a memory foam or what but they did have a handy brochure next to the bed if I wanted to purchase one! It have just a couple gripes (because there has to be something, right?) We were assigned a handicap room and while it had a large bathroom with 2 showers, our room was quite a bit smaller than our friends' room. I would recommend their room, which was a corner room (908) and much roomier although smaller bathroom, I wouldn't have minded that trade off. Our room didn't have a great view either but I'm not sure which rooms would have something better, ours was of a building under construction (of which there is A LOT going on in Chicago right now). Also, and this is just personal taste and I could have brought my own shampoo, but I didn't really care for their Hermès shampoo & conditioner. I know, it's Hermès, but I thought it smelled like an older man's cologne, and that's what our bathroom smelled like too. So just a couple little nitpicky things but I would definitely stay here again if I come back to Chicago and would recommend it to friends traveling either alone or with family.

Room Tip: I would recommend a corner room, 908 was a good one.
    • 5 of 5 stars
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Bonjour tjoneser,

First of all, allow me to thank you for the comments you shared on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us.
I was truly happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and in Chicago. I am glad to see that you were so extremely comfortable in our world-renowned Sofitel MyBeds. I could not be more pleased as well to learn that you took advantage of our central location.
Your point regarding your room and bathroom amenities has been duly noted. Do not hesitate to mention your preferences upon reservation, we will be more than happy to honor them.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower soon.

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

No view after being told we would have a water view. Cracks in the faux marble bathroom flooring. Great location, nice modern decor. I would not recommend based on the following issue......the bathroom door does not completely close. It's a French door with open spacing when closed. Beyond bizarre choice given the small room dimensions. So what I'm saying is....if you are like me and prefer privacy while in the bathroom, do not stay here! Shame on Sofitel for not addressing this ridiculous design flaw.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Bonjour Smarie43,

Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I so appreciate that you chose our hotel for your stay in Chicago.
Also I was glad you appreciated our `nice modern decor' and took advantage of our wonderful location close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining. I regret your disappointment regarding the design of our bathroom doors. Your comments are not in keeping with the feedback we generally receive and I wish I could be able to determine in which room you were staying in. I am deeply sorry that your stay was affected by this experience.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again soon,
Kind regards,

Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

When we entered our room, we noticed a bad odor coming from the ventilation. (It smelled like burning dust or plastic. I called an explained the situation, and they sent up a housekeeper who sprayed a super sweet deodorant into the room. This didn't help, and I called and asked for a different room. The front desk said they were full, but after going downstairs to the front desk, we walked through 4 rooms that had the same odor! We had to get ready for a dinner so we just stayed in the last of the 5 rooms we saw. It was amazing that they said they were full, though! The room was extremely dusty, and I think the rooms we were shown hadn't been used in some time. Maybe that's why they smelled so bad. For almost $400 a night, I would have expected a better and cleaner room. I stayed at the Sofitel in NY, and it was nice. I won't be staying at a Sofitel again any time soon.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Bonjour Takingatrip18,
First of all, please let me thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor further to your stay amongst us earlier this month.
It is very disappointing for us to learn when one of our guests is not fully satisfied with his experience. I was too surprised that our Front Desk agents gave you two different explanations as we always do our best to accommodate our guests at the earliest. I have noted your comments on the rooms, and hope to be able to eventually determine the one you occupied. Please rest assured that I will follow up with my team concerning your experience. I sincerely apologize.
Should we have the opportunity to have the pleasure of meeting you on your next trip to Chicago, we will do our utmost to ensure that you receive the expected value.