“Excellent Location.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Carbondale, Illinois
“Excellent Location.”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

The Sofitel is a wonderful hotel. Rooms are nice. The customer service is top-notch. Don't forget to visit the restaurant. For Francophiles, this is the hotel for you! The touch that I remember the most fondly is the French soap which was so richly fragrant. We will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Bonjour Katherine P,

Thank you very much for choosing Sofitel Chicago Water Tower for your recent stay in Chicago.
What a pleasure to read that you found the room very nice and that you particularly liked our French bathroom amenities by Lanvin. I will personally share your compliments with the team who will be very happy to learn that you found the service `top notch'.
I am most grateful that you took the time to post such a nice review about your stay and I truly hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again to our hotel and restaurant.
Kindest Regards,

Sebastien Pfeiffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Our family of four (two young children) stayed here in July. We chose this hotel based on its trip advisor rating and proximity to the magnificent mile. As frequent travelers we rely on trip advisor to help explore cities around the world. For the first time, we felt that trip advisor let us down. This is not a luxury hotel, we did not feel like we were staying at a superior property. There was nothing special about the hotel or our room in a positive sense.

During our first night, after we had all fallen asleep, we were awakened by a persistent knock on our door. This loud racket woke us all up. On my way to answering the door, it opened partially (luckily the security bolt was in place). It turned out that our unexpected guest was a member of Sofitel's housekeeping staff, offering evening turndown service at 10:00pm! Though the employee was quite polite and apologetic I found the experience quite odd.

Shaking of the previous night's experience we ventured down to breakfast at the on site restaurant, Café des Architectes. The food served at this venue was disappointing, mediocre (at best). We had opted for the "Magnifique Breakfast" - styled as a full breakfast - at reservation. When we sat down for breakfast we were presented with an extensive menu. We informed the waiter who came to take our order that we had "Magnifique Breakfast" vouchers. Our polite waiter informed us that a mistake had been made and that we had received the wrong menus. OK. He soon returned with an abbreviated menu with far fewer items listed than the previous one. Smooth Sofitel... Who knew that the breakfast package we purchased at this luxury property came with fewer options. Perhaps this sleight of hand would have been forgotten if breakfast had been enjoyable.

In all, I felt that the best part of the Sofitel Chicago experience was to be found at the front desk, where we were greeted warmly at check-in and at check-out. Our experience of Sofitel in between these bookends was abysmal for a luxury hotel. Far too many apologies, however well delivered, for my tastes.

4 Thank Safari100
Bonjour Safari100,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your `warm' check in and check out experiences.
On behalf of the whole team here I would like to express our sincere regret for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay and that led to your disappointing overall experience. The service you received from our housekeeping staff was not in keeping with our standards of excellence and I have shared your comments with my team for corrective actions.
The Sofitel `Magnifique Breakfast' package offers luxury accommodations and the American breakfast at our restaurant. I am very sorry for the confusion and rest assured that I will investigate further to understand what happened.
Again our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you faced during your stay.

I will be happy to welcome you back to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower soon and look forward to alter your opinion of our hotel.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Perfect downtown spot to explore the Gold Coast and Michigan Avenue. Short walk to Oak Street Beach. Classy, modern hotel that is nicely away from the hustle-bustle yet close to it all. Clean rooms and classy, French vibe.

Bonjour Jason B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a nice review on Tripadvisor.
I am truly delighted to hear that you enjoyed our central and quiet location as well as the comfort of our rooms.
Your compliments were also relayed to the entire team, who was very touched by your kind words.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I always love staying at the Sofitel. Service is fabulous, rooms are quiet and comfortable. As I have stayed at this Sofitel a few times in the past 7 years, I would like to suggest that there need to be some updates to the public spaces. The restaurant and Le Bar are looking a bit worn. Chair legs are beat up, upholstery is fraying and ragged, tables are scratched, flooring is worn, etc. I understand that this is where guests as well as the general public gather, but as a guest, I want to feel pampered no matter whether I am in my room or having a drink at the bar. I would love to see these spaces spruced up when I visit next time!

Bonjour Kim and Jim B,

Thank you for contributing with such a detailed review and I appreciate your loyalty towards our hotel. I am very happy that you always enjoy your stay with us, and that you love our rooms and the quality of our `fabulous service'. We aim for the highest standards of excellence in order to please our guests.
I have duly noted your comments about the `updates needed'. I will share them with my Engineering manager.
I look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Stayed here 3 days for our daughter's wedding and reception at the hotel. Couldn't be more pleased with the venue, service, accommodations, food and value. Friendly and helpful staff. First class surroundings.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank MaineChas
Bonjour MaineChas,

I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor and leaving such a positive review. I am so pleased that your overall guest experience was fantastic and that we fulfilled our mission to make this special occasion an unique one.
I am glad to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay, felt welcomed and that you received `first class' service and accommodations.

I hope to welcome you again for your next stay in Chicago.

Salinas, California
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Chicago at the Sofitel! We were a little worried about traveling with our 11 month old son, but they were more than accommodating. A roll-away crib was set up in the room with a brand new little teddy bear in it. To the side was a Johnson's baby bath kit with travel sizes of shampoo, lotion and baby powder with a rubber duck. The bath tub was great for a relaxing soak for me and then later for a splashing fun time for our baby. Most of what we did and saw was across the river and a bit of a walk, but there were plenty of food and sights nearby, too.

Room Tip: Wifi is free for the first 24 hours
Bonjour chelsabean,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a nice comment on TripAdvisor about your `great stay with baby'. I am very happy to read about your positive experience. Thank you for praising the quality and comfort of our hotel. I appreciate your comments about our excellent location, close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.
I am glad to inform you that our wifi is complimentary for the entire stay.

I would be happy to welcome you again soon,
Kind regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Our room was on the top floor. It was a family vacation and we stayed for 3 nights. The location is very convenient and minutes away from Michigan Ave.. The hotel staffs were very helpful and would open the door for us and will also open the cab door most of the time. The room was specious with good lay out. We were asked if we needed a coffee maker or a fridge and we requested for a fridge. The hotel was very prompt in bringing the refrigerator. It was indeed a very good experience except we had to wait almost 25 to 30 minutes while checking in. Other than this one issue overall i was very pleased with my stay at this hotel and i would go back to this hotel next time i visit Chicago. Highly recommended.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Bonjour Aydin_H1217,

What a pleasure to read your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your last stay with us. And thank you for `highly recommending' us.
That you consider our service to be `very helpful' is the nicest compliment possible. All the staff takes very much to heart such comments as yours.
I was very touched by your kind comments regarding the rooms and amenities.
It was a real pleasure to read about your family vacation, and that you were able to take advantage of our excellent location in the city, close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining. I took good notes of your comments regarding your check in experience and I regret the inconvenience it caused you.
Looking forward to welcoming you back amongst us,
Best regards,