“Elegance with lovely French flair”

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #24 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Byron Center, Michigan
“Elegance with lovely French flair”
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful hotel in the heart of Chicago. Close to Rush street and the famous Sprinkles cupcake bakery. The service feels like a small boutique hotel. Loved the Evian water, the turndown service and the products. The embroidered cloth shoe bags are fantastic for future travel. Will be back with my spouse!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Bonjour mrsadiaz,

Thank you very much for the kind comments you shared on TripAdvisor further to your stay with us in June.
Indeed I was delighted to read how much you were pleased with your guest experience and the amenities we offer. It means a lot to us that you mentioned having liked our `French flair'.
Also I was glad you appreciated our wonderful location close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower with your spouse.

Sebastien Pfeiffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Perfect location, great service, excellent quality.
Great Shops, good restaurants, Chicago lakeshore and the beach are walking distance.
Magnificent mile is around the corner.
Elegant and modern lobby and rooms.
Very clean of course.
Very good bar and restaurant with a good variety of liquors and cocktails.
The staff is very attentive and tend to spoil you discretely.
Only shortfall is not having a pool/sauna...but Chicago offers better things to do.
Room service is effective and the room offers anything you need with quality products.
In the morning the coffe is complimentary which is a plus, you can start your town exploration with a coffee cup in your hands.
Not a single complaints, I ll reccomand to family and friends.
I ll go back soon and probably looking for a sofitel around the world as well.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Bonjour Giovanni P,

What a pleasure to read your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us. That you consider your overall stay to be `excellent' is the nicest compliment possible.
My team was honored to receive your comments regarding the great service they constantly provide.
It was pleased to read that you were able to take advantage of our excellent location in the city, close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.
Finally, I really appreciate your wonderful comments regarding our bar, restaurant and room service.
Thank you very much for recommending us.

I look forward to return visit,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The rooms are quiet and clean. The bathrooms are fantastic. The bedding is incredibly comfortable. The staff is courteous and prompt. The restaurant there, Cafe Des Architects is outstanding. Great stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Bonjour Sandy D,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay here at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
I am very happy to see that you had such an enjoyable time here at our magnifique property, and that you were so very comfortable in our world-renowned Sofitel Mybeds. Thank you as well for pointing out our sensational restaurant. Your kind comments have been shared with our entire team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower very soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I just can't say enough about this hotel. Great location....easy to walk to north to Lincoln Park or south to a show in the Loop. Excellent service...there are no slackers working at this hotel. Everyone has a great attitude and never seems to tire of guests asking questions. Superior room....rooms are always super clean, bright and excellent views out the window. You get what you pay for here...rooms are about $350/night in summer and $250/night in other seasons. Spend the money and get a for sure good night sleep, excellent service and a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from elevator. I usually have a good experience facing the John Hancock b...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank truparkhaysmom
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Bonjour truparkhaysmom,

Thank you so much for your outstanding posting on TripAdvisor regarding your `wonderful' stay.
That you consider our service to be `excellent' is the nicest compliment possible. All the staff takes very much to heart such comments as yours.
It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed the location of our hotel and the beautiful view of the John Hancock tower. Thank you for sharing.

I really look forward to seeing you very soon.

New England
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed two nights on our recent visit. The location is excellent, walking distance to so very much in the city. The hotel itself is lovely, the rooms are very well appointed. But there were little things that are holding me back from a 5 star review.

In a 5 star hotel, I expect everything we got at the Sofitel but with a bit more - like the breakfast - not included, well, ok, but was coffee in the morning included? Apparently, but we were never told that it was!! No one told us upon check in nor was there any notice in our room - I only know that coffee was included now that we're home, reading some of the other TAdivisor reviews! Apparently you go to the restaurant and get a gratis cup there to take back to your room - how was I supposed to know that?? No evening wine gathering as we've experienced in other obvious 5 star hotels, like ones we've stayed in in New York and Rome, no breakfast or coffee, veerrrryyyyy slow wifi, only two elevators which took forever………and in our room, maybe it was the layout, but the flat screen TV was on the table IN FRONT of the mirror - what?? So indeed, if you wanted to use the bedroom mirror, and not that we did, as there were plenty of other mirrors - but the point being that if you wanted to, the TV was in front of it! Odd design planning, or lack thereof! And the housekeeping our first night was a bit off - only one pair of slippers were provided - 2 robes, but only 1 pair of slippers - AND, and this really bugged me - the closet, which is beautiful, when you open the closet doors, there are 3 open shelves on the bottom of the closet - I bent down to put my clothes in there, and ICK - the cleaning staff had not checked the shelves and had missed one of those nylon footies, those mini nylon socks that women wear with shoes - ya, there it was, USED, staring back at me from the shelf - nasty! I plucked it up and tossed it in the trash, but I thought, ohhhhhh, not good - housekeeping was not on the ball. Interestingly, the next day, my guess is that there was a different housekeeping crew, as a 2nd pair of slippers was provided, indicating that they had caught their error.

Yes, the bedding is luxurious and comfortable, the room was essentially soundproof, the bathroom tile, the shower, the soaking tub, the plush towels - all fabulous. But at this level, at this price point, expectations are high, competition is stiff, and for us, Sofitel Water Tower fell a bit short.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lexmiller
Bonjour lexmiller,

I am happy to see that you had an enjoyable time here at our magnifique property, and that you were so very comfortable in our world-renowned Sofitel Mybeds. Thank you as well for pointing out our sensational location just one block away from the Magnificent Mile, and I am glad you liked our rooms and bathrooms along with the amenities.
Nevertheless, I was deeply sorry to learn that your experience with our housekeeping service has not been entirely in keeping with your expectations. This is not typical of our standards of service to our guests, and I regret the impression that it gave you. We have taken the appropriate measures to address this.
I sincerely regret that you were not informed of the complimentary coffee and tea served at Cafe des Architectes every morning. We do display a sign providing the information in the lobby, near the elevators.
Thank you for all your feedback and please rest assured corrective actions will be taken.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We were greated immediately, before even getting out of the car, with welcoming smiles and over-the-top helpfulness! If we had any questions, staff were ready to answer or find out the answer to our question. The room was very comfortable and incredibley clean. I will definitely come back to the Chicago Sofitel. Thank you Softel!

Room Tip: Let them know what kind of room you want when reserving your room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Bonjour MaureenFW,

I was very pleased by your kind comments on Trip Advisor following your experience at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
It was a pleasure to read your impressions regarding our property and our `very comfortable' rooms. Your satisfaction regarding the staffs’ service and welcome is extremely important for us, and I will be happy to share your wonderful feedback with the entire team.
Finally, I really appreciate your tips for our valued guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you back amongst us,
Best regards,