“Solid experience for business travellers”

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #22 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I did not spend as much time as I would have liked at this hotel, but like all Sofitel properties, the guest experience was extremely solid.

Arriving late at night, the large lobby was deserted, making it feel even more enormous. The property apparently has unique design and architecture, but I did not stay long enough to explore all the building’s features.

I was upgraded to a mini suite, spacious but not too massive. Room was in the form of an L, with the long part containing the very comfortable bed and sitting area with sofa, while the short side had the entrance way and access to bathroom. Standard Orange Vert amenities were provided. (I personally find the fragrance too strong for my taste.)

As usual, sleeping on the Sofitel bed was a great experience, soft and sinking, with smooth and clean linen. Bottled Evian water was provided, along with a Keurig coffee maker, and a complimentary suit travel bag. I was on a high floor with very large windows, which afforded great views of Chicago.

Checkout was fairly fast. There was a large amount of people looking for taxis, and as the hotel is not located on a main thoroughfare, the line was long and the bellman was a bit overwhelmed. I walked a few streets away to an area with more traffic, and found my own cab soon enough.

With only a limited chance to gain an impression of the place, I can say that Sofitel Water Tower provides an agreeable night in Chicago, and is very suitable for business travelers.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank J W
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Bonjour J W,

I thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor following your last visit at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
I am very honored to read your words concerning our hotel and suite. In fact, I am delighted to know that our hotel's appearance exceeded your expectations. In fact, we will celebrate our 12-year anniversary next June; our unique design by architect Jean-Paul Viguier has made us one of the Chicago skyline's 'architectural gems'.
Thank you for complimenting our famous Sofitel MyBeds and amenities provided in the room.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property really soon for another suitable business trip.

Kindest regards,

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed here last January and we enjoyed the location which is very convenient.
The hotel is very close to Michigan Avenue.
The property itself offers beautifully appointed rooms including nice amenities by Lanvin.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Bonjour Dex888,

Thank you very much for the kind comments you shared on TripAdvisor further to your stay with us in January.
Indeed I was delighted to read how much you were pleased with your guest experience. It means a lot to us that you mentioned having liked our French bathroom amenities by Lanvin.
Also I was glad you appreciated our wonderful location close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower in a not too distant future.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

From the greeting in the drive, to the bellman, to the front desk and beyond, you will feel welcome! The staff will make sure you're aware of all the amenities so you can enjoy your stay. The rooms are spacious, quiet, exquisitely appointed, and always clean and fresh. The restaurant has a varied menu for all meals. We especially enjoy their breakfasts with fresh baked croissants! The bar is open late, and is perfect for a cocktail with your special someone, or a group. The location rounds out the experience. Many sites are walking distance, and if it's a bit further, they will call a taxi to be there in a heartbeat. We won't stay anywhere else when in Chicago. Sofitel is hands down the best there is!

Room Tip: We love staying on a higher floor for the view of the city. Truly beautiful at night!
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Bonjour Florence K,

I was delighted to see from your posting on TripAdvisor that your experience from the point of arrival to your departure was amazing!
What a great pleasure to read your comment about how pleased you were by the accommodation, your room along with the splendid view. Thank you so much for your nice compliments regarding our sustainable development initiatives.
Glad you were able to experience our delicious breakfast at our restaurant, Cafe des Architectes and our fantastic bar.
The point that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful is the best compliment we could ever hope to receive
Just so pleased that your overall guest experience was wonderful!

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower,
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 25, 2014

This was my first time staying in Chicago, and the experience was made even better by the accommodations at Sofitel. The hotel is well-staffed and beautifully decorated. My room was spacious and clean and very comfortable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Bonjour LovetoTravel602014,

I am delighted to see your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I am thrilled that we were able to enhance your first experience in the windy city.
I am delighted to hear that you were pleased by your room and the design and decoration of the hotel.
Thank you very much for your nice comment regarding our team.

I really look forward to having you with us soon for a second stay.

Best regards,

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Thanks to other reviewers, I found this hotel and was not disappointed. The location can't be beat if you're interested in restaurants and shops on the north end of Michigan Ave. The hotel staff greeted my husband by wishing him a happy birthday and then informed us of an upgrade to our room. When we arrived in the room there was a small dessert and birthday greeting. These sorts of attention to a guests' experience will be why this will now be the hotel we return to for weekends in the city.

Room Tip: Paying a bit extra for the view places you in a room with stunning views of the Hancock building.
1  Thank Traveling_Mom_Writer
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Bonjour Traveling_Mom_Writer,

Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I so appreciate that you chose our hotel for such a great occasion.
Indeed I was delighted to read how much you were pleased with your guest experience and the special attentions. This is very important to us. All the team will be more than happy to receive your comments.
It is also great that you liked our location and enjoyed the beautiful view offered by our rooms.
Thank you for your words and I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back home soon, maybe for another special occasion!

Yours sincerely,