“Wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #21 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sarnia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

The location is fabulous and the staff is very helpful, particularly the concierge. The rooms are larger than many in Chicago and the bathrooms are beautiful. Free coffee in the lobby. The gym has weights and cardio.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Bonjour Beth R,

I am delighted to see your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us.

It was a real pleasure reading that your stay was all about `Luxury and convenience' and that you found our staff `helpful'.
I was delighted that you enjoyed our fitness room and the complimentary coffee and tea served each morning from 5:30 to10:30.
As you well noted, our location is ideal, close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower

Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is one of my most favorite hotels on earth! Absolutely love everything about it - the ambience, the staff, the views of the city from almost every room, the food (breakfast in particular) and the cinnamon tea! This is a must stay!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Bonjour Tracie B,

Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us.

The fact that you describe us as `one of your most favorite hotels on earth' is the highest compliment you could ever give us!
Thank you very much for all your comments that I will share with all the Ambassadors.

I look forward to having you back at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower for experiencing again our delicious cinnamon tea !

Best regards,

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Located just behind the Water Tower with lots of good eateries nearby. Michigan Ave is one block away with several malls. Easily able to walk to the Gold Coast. I had a king suite which was lovely and looked out over Lake Michigan. Good restaurant at street level Cafe de Architectes. Have stayed twice and will again.

Room Tip: Options for one or two beds. Both my stays were higher floors and had great views. Lake Michigan si...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Bonjour GillyKiwi,

I would like to sincerely thank you very much for your kind review on Tripadvisor, regarding your stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
It is such a great pleasure for my entire team to read that you find our property “fabulous”. I really appreciate your compliments for our restaurant, Cafe des Architectes, and that you pointed out our excellent location, close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.
Thank you for providing room tip for future guests!

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property very soon

Kindest regards,

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

My family and I have stayed at the Sofitel for years, and once again it was excellent. The staff is wonderful, particularly thoughtful about our young kids. Everything about our stay was lovely. And breakfast is incredible. We will be back! We would not consider another hotel in Chicago.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Bonjour Rae M,

I am thrilled to read your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. Thank you very much as well for your loyalty toward our property.
It was particularly pleasant to read that your stay with your family was `excellent'.
Our compliments for our Ambassadors are very generous. Guest recognition is of most importance to us.

Thank you very much for sharing and for recommending us. I am looking forward to welcoming you back.

Lake Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

I live in the Chicago area, but if we go out downtown we like to stay in the area as opposed to driving home after a couple cocktails.

This hotel is extremely nice. it is everything you expect from the Sofitel brand. The lobby is very nicely appointed, the service is second to none, and the rooms are clean and very well kept.

The concierge is very helpful and courteous. They take the extra step needed in any 5 star property to make guests happy. They even went and got me some advil when I woke up with a headache last week.

I have stayed at the hotel on several occasions and never had anything but a perfect experience. I used to stay at the Drake but now I only do the Sofitel. The last thing to say is room service is excellent and very fast which is rare in a hotel of any star rating!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bonjour andrewatgcredit,

I appreciate your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay `in the Second City'.

You were very generous with your comments, and I very much appreciate that you found the overall staff “second to none”. Your words for our Concierge are really nice. Thank you very much for them.
Happy that you enjoyed our fabulous room service as well and to read that your stay was `perfect' and that you plan to come back soon is really important to us.

Look forward to welcoming you back,

Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Nice location. Stayed here for some personal vacation time following a business trip in Chicago. Room 2311 was plain and clean, but smelled a bit stale (like old plywood). Furniture & fittings were a bit worn, but fine. 23rd floor room had excellent view of Hancock Tower. Elevators were fast. Comfortable bed. Nice shower. Bathtub was nothing fancy.

Free wireless internet was adequate. HVAC worked fine and you could set your own room temperature. No plug on bedside table makes charging your phone overnight (while using it as an alarm clock) a hassle. There was some kind of Bose sound system that may have allowed phone charging; I didn’t check it out. Cannot put your own stuff in the minibar fridge. Breakfast in the hotel was fine ($25 for French toast & coffee).

Paid $180/night, booked direct through hotel website. Concierge was helpful. Lounge and lobby are beautiful. Front desk staff were fast. Bellhop insisted on handling my bag, despite my protestations, which I hate. Plenty of taxis were available on demand. Kind of silly that everyone from front desk staff to the cleaning staff greet you with “bonjour” rather than the local language, but c’est la vie.

Hotel is ~10 minute walk to train station and you have to transfer trains to get to O’Hare airport. I opted to take a taxi to a more distant train station in order to avoid the walk with my extensive work related luggage and to avoid the transfer.

I also recommend Hugh’s Frog Bar and Fish Restaurant a few blocks north of the Sofitel. Had two excellent seafood meals in their lounge with great live piano music.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Bonjour golfsteve55,

I am delighted to see your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I am thrilled that you loved your `vacation time' with us.

What of course made me really happy was that you were able to take advantage of a wonderful view of Hancock Tower from your room on an upper floor.
I am delighted to hear that you were pleased by our location and the design and accomodation of your room.
Happy that you found our staff `fast' and `helpful'. I took good notes of all your comments. Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

I really look forward to having you with us soon.

Best regards,