“Expected more for this price”

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #23 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Wales
“Expected more for this price”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The hotel is in a good location not far from the Hancock Centre, shops or red line stop. Our room was huge as was the bathroom with a separate bath and shower. It was disappointing not to be able to have recordable tv as we did in our previous Chicago hotel. We paid extra to have a higher floor although we only ended up on floor 15 out of 32 which I do not consider to be especially high and our view was of a building site. The system was being changed over so when we arrived and were told wifi wasn't working. As our 3G was expensive we turned it off and relied on wifi. The next day we tried logging into our wifi again which didn't work. I took my phone down to reception and explained the problem and asked for the code. She refused to tell us and she typed it in my phone. I explained I had an iPad in the room which I also wanted to use for wifi but that didn't seem to matter. We had a drink a couple of times in the bar and the outside area which was lovely and the nibbles were a nice touch although $12 for a wine was quite expensive when I paid $15 for a cocktail at the top of the Hancock. I have never stayed in a Sofitel hotel before and I think for the price we paid the room we requested and wifi were nothing special to ask for. Maybe it was just this particular Sofitel but I would be more tempted to use another chain next time.

Room Tip: Don't bother to pay more for a high room cause you don't get it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cath333
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Cath333,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. Your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. We sincerely regret that your room did not meet your expectations in terms of the floor that you were placed on. I have sent you a private message via Trip Advisor so that I can make sure we offer you a room on the highest floor available during your next stay. I am also sorry to hear that you had issues with wifi and service during this stay. Please rest assured that your comments have been addressed with our Front Desk staff. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel in the near future.

Nicolas Pesty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Lovely rooms and decor as usual with helpful and knowledgeable employees.Luxurious and quality minded environment as all the Sofitels I have had the pleasure and honor to have stayed at.The restaurant and bars were above all my expectations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bare-with-me
Dear Bare-with-me,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we thank you for complimenting our hotel and staff! We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Great service, beautiful rooms and amenities, excellent restaurant and an efficient front desk staff! Check-in was smooth and quick, the concierge was really helpful and the fitness centre was great. We stayed downtown with a group of friends and family and everyone thought this hotel was a great idea. Would return without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wendy B
Dear Wendy B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for complimenting our hotel and staff! We look forward to welcoming you back to our property in the very near future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I was a guest at the Sofitel Water Tower Location in Chicago IL from Aug 11 -Aug 12 2013. My stay was for pleasure as an overnight birthday gift for myself. My otherwise enjoyable stay was marred by an incident that occurred upon my return to the hotel from celebrating my birthday.

I am an African American woman that was staying alone in my room. Upon my return to the hotel, as I waited for the elevator, I was approached by a male staff member who asked me was I a guest of the hotel. I replied "yes". He then asked for my room number, my ID, as well as my room key. This gentlemen came from behind the concierge desk and left his post to approach me. I took offense to his request for this information, as people were in and out the hotel all night. I informed him that as a woman traveling alone, that I was uncomfortable giving him my room number. Furthermore, that I would not be showing him my room key and ID. Upon my refusal, a second male employee came from behind the desk and joined in on the questioning. I felt intimidated, accosted, and ganged up upon. I have stayed at several hotels in downtown Chicago, and this was my first time experiencing this. I hope this was not done because I am African American, although I was the only African American I saw during my stay. I did not witness anyone else being stopped as I was.

I informed the Manager upon check-out of my experience. He assured me that he would follow up with his staff. However, he did not seem genuinely concerned, was hurried in his conversation, and seemed to just be going through the motions, and saying what he thought I wanted to hear.

I chose the Sofitel to celebrated my last birthday in my twenties based upon the reviews I read online, and its prime location. However my experience was marred, and ended on a sour note. It was very demeaning.

A disappointed guest

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
15 Thank TCD29
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Bonjour TCD29,

Thank you for your feedback. At Sofitel, we are always concerned about making each guest feel magnifique at all of our locations worldwide and strive to exceed our guest’s expectations. We are sorry that your experience with us did not fulfill this pledge. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I may address your concerns.

Nicolas Pesty,
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed August 12, 2013

It was our third time staying in Sofitel Chicago, all quick getaways, and it was outstanding as always. Got upgraded to 30th floor room with super views, great room. Extremely pleasant and professional staff, courteous service, location is also hard to beat. Sofitel is my favorite hotel chain, and it very rarely disappoints me. Sofitel in Chicago, as well as in D.C. and CA Bay Area are all highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex G
Dear freiburg13,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your most recent stay and that you were able to take advantage of onan available upgrade to the 30th floor! Thank you for pointing out our other magnifique US locations as well. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the near future.