“Modern, Clean, Perfect Location!”

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #24 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a beautiful, modern hotel located in the perfect location close to museums, restaurants and shopping. It was easy to walk everywhere and be in the middle of downtown Chicago. I loved the modern look and aesthetic of the hotel and especially loved the large shower and comfortable bed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our Gold Coast location to be so well suited to your needs. We are especially pleased to know that you loved your room and that you were comfortable during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Nicolas Pesty

Write a ReviewReviews (4,406)

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Soitel was very good, it would get a great if they had queen beds in the double rooms in place of the full size beds. Restaurant was excellent, we only had breakfast there, but it was a great way to start the day. Great location, we were on the 20th floor so no noise at all!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear jartraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests.

Our relationship with our guests is of utmost importance to us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower very soon.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We only stayed here for one night but wish we could have stayed longer! The hotel is flawless. The interior is gorgeous, and our room was clean, comfortable and very spacious. The staff were friendly and very helpful. We had room service breakfast and it was excellent. The hotel is in a great location also.

Dear virgo05,

Thank you for complimenting our hotel and staff! We are very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower very soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was without doubt one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. Staff were helpful and courteous. lovely interior and location was superb. There is very little I could criticize to be honest. We only had breakfast in the hotel but again that was excellent quality. And good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mark C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay and our excellent location. We are especially pleased to know that you found the breakfast to be of such high quality at our Cafe des Architectes. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

THINGS YOU WANT TO KNOW:
1. In room safe - (Located in the closet)
2. Refrigerator (However, it is filled to the brim with liquor and food that they charge you for)
3. NO Coffee/Tea Maker - however, complimentary coffee or tea offered in the morning in the restaurant
4. Iron and ironing board
5. 1 large flat screen TV
6. Hair dryer (stored under the bathroom sink)
7. Floor length mirror - Closets are mirrored as well
8. Makeup mirror in the bathroom (but it is not lighted and I had difficulty getting the light to shine equally on both sides of my face. The mirror is attached on the far side of the vanity in the bathroom)
9. No ceiling fan
10. No heater in bathroom
11. Has stand up shower and separate tub
12. Robes and slippers provided (hanging in bathroom and closet)
13. Closet has light that comes on when the door is opened
14. Workout room - includes treadmills, elliptical and weights - TV’s did not work on all the equipment - Headphones with changeable foam earphone covers provided - Large bowl of fresh fruit is kept in workout room along with towels and water dispenser
15. Great location - within walking distance of almost everything downtown
16. Beds extremely soft with no top sheet (done European style)
17. Phone in bathroom
18. Bathroom light switch doubles as a night lite

DISCUSSION:

Service provided by this hotel is topnotch. For example my remote control for the TV did not work properly and so on my way to dinner I went by the front desk and asked to exchange it. I offered to pick up the new one on my way back from dinner. Well they wouldn’t hear of that. They insisted that a new one would be delivered to my room and indeed it was there by the time I got back from dinner. Also, I called down to the front desk to ask a question about the conference I was attending and the phone was answered with “How may I help you (insert last name). In other words they make an effort to use the names of their guests. Nice touch.

As mentioned above there is NO coffee maker in the room. However, they do offer complimentary coffee and/or tea down in the restaurant in the morning. This is very inconvenient, in my never to be humble opinion. It means I have to get dressed, put on my makeup, all out of courtesy to the other guests in the hotel of course, before I can have a cup of coffee. A luxury hotel should have a coffee maker available in the room or have free coffee provided by room service available upon request.

The beds are ultra-soft and only have a duvet as a cover with no top sheet. In the middle of the night I found myself sweating bullets. I couldn’t kick off the duvet as I would have had no cover. I had to get up and turn the air conditioning to freezing in order to stay under the duvet and covered. I know that this is very European but I found it annoying. It also makes me wonder how often they change the duvet cover! Ewwww!

All in all, a great hotel with style and class.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Mylisa1,

Thank you for your detailed and positive review of Sofitel Chicago Water Tower! We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay and the service that you received here. Regarding your comments about the availability of an in-room coffee maker, we do have complimentary coffee makers available for our guests upon request, just ask during check-in on your next stay.

Regarding the bedding, all of our beds are prepared All of our beds are prepared in a European style with a duvet and duvet cover only. All of our bedding is cleaned after each guest's departure or daily, if the guest requests for us to do so. We are happy to make up your bed with a top sheet upon request.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope that you will present us with the opportunity to weclome you back to Sofitel Chicago in the very near future.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We enjoyed many of the features of Sofitel Water Tower that brings us back. But this time the room seem tired and we moved to another room. We tried a number of rooms (I went to them to see how they were). One room had a very strong smell which was either the A/C or someone left a hunk of cheese in the room). Nevertheless, we settled on 3002. Frankly, I think their eastern views are overrated. They are all overbuilt and the western exposures with sunsets are much better. At any rate, everyone on the staff was superb. The concierge recommended Mangle's florist in the Drake for a bouquet and it was astounding. In the end, I shall return. A very well run property with lots of pluses.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Joseph K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are very glad to know that you are a returning guest and that you have enjoyed the hotel and our staff during your visits. I am sorry to hear that on this most recent trip you encountered an unpleasant odor in your guest room. This is not at all typical of our standards of housekeeping, and we regret your disappointment. However, I am glad that you enjoyed 3002 and the great sunset view from that side of the hotel. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the very near future.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Unbeatable location. Nice room, great bed. Clean, new, fresh, sleek. Nice little restaurant with outdoor sidewalk seating. Nothing I'd consider overpriced (Five dollars for a whole pot of French-Press, for instance)
And terrific service from EVERYONE we encountered.
Well done Sofitel.

Dear DrGeis,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are so glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the service to be so outstanding. We are especially pleased to know that you were able to enjoy the just-opened patio at Cafe des Architectes! We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Chicago in the very near future!