“Great Hotel With Style and Class”

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #25 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta
“Great Hotel With Style and Class”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

THINGS YOU WANT TO KNOW:
1. In room safe - (Located in the closet)
2. Refrigerator (However, it is filled to the brim with liquor and food that they charge you for)
3. NO Coffee/Tea Maker - however, complimentary coffee or tea offered in the morning in the restaurant
4. Iron and ironing board
5. 1 large flat screen TV
6. Hair dryer (stored under the bathroom sink)
7. Floor length mirror - Closets are mirrored as well
8. Makeup mirror in the bathroom (but it is not lighted and I had difficulty getting the light to shine equally on both sides of my face. The mirror is attached on the far side of the vanity in the bathroom)
9. No ceiling fan
10. No heater in bathroom
11. Has stand up shower and separate tub
12. Robes and slippers provided (hanging in bathroom and closet)
13. Closet has light that comes on when the door is opened
14. Workout room - includes treadmills, elliptical and weights - TV’s did not work on all the equipment - Headphones with changeable foam earphone covers provided - Large bowl of fresh fruit is kept in workout room along with towels and water dispenser
15. Great location - within walking distance of almost everything downtown
16. Beds extremely soft with no top sheet (done European style)
17. Phone in bathroom
18. Bathroom light switch doubles as a night lite

DISCUSSION:

Service provided by this hotel is topnotch. For example my remote control for the TV did not work properly and so on my way to dinner I went by the front desk and asked to exchange it. I offered to pick up the new one on my way back from dinner. Well they wouldn’t hear of that. They insisted that a new one would be delivered to my room and indeed it was there by the time I got back from dinner. Also, I called down to the front desk to ask a question about the conference I was attending and the phone was answered with “How may I help you (insert last name). In other words they make an effort to use the names of their guests. Nice touch.

As mentioned above there is NO coffee maker in the room. However, they do offer complimentary coffee and/or tea down in the restaurant in the morning. This is very inconvenient, in my never to be humble opinion. It means I have to get dressed, put on my makeup, all out of courtesy to the other guests in the hotel of course, before I can have a cup of coffee. A luxury hotel should have a coffee maker available in the room or have free coffee provided by room service available upon request.

The beds are ultra-soft and only have a duvet as a cover with no top sheet. In the middle of the night I found myself sweating bullets. I couldn’t kick off the duvet as I would have had no cover. I had to get up and turn the air conditioning to freezing in order to stay under the duvet and covered. I know that this is very European but I found it annoying. It also makes me wonder how often they change the duvet cover! Ewwww!

All in all, a great hotel with style and class.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Mylisa1,

Thank you for your detailed and positive review of Sofitel Chicago Water Tower! We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay and the service that you received here. Regarding your comments about the availability of an in-room coffee maker, we do have complimentary coffee makers available for our guests upon request, just ask during check-in on your next stay.

Regarding the bedding, all of our beds are prepared All of our beds are prepared in a European style with a duvet and duvet cover only. All of our bedding is cleaned after each guest's departure or daily, if the guest requests for us to do so. We are happy to make up your bed with a top sheet upon request.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope that you will present us with the opportunity to weclome you back to Sofitel Chicago in the very near future.

Nicolas Pesty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We enjoyed many of the features of Sofitel Water Tower that brings us back. But this time the room seem tired and we moved to another room. We tried a number of rooms (I went to them to see how they were). One room had a very strong smell which was either the A/C or someone left a hunk of cheese in the room). Nevertheless, we settled on 3002. Frankly, I think their eastern views are overrated. They are all overbuilt and the western exposures with sunsets are much better. At any rate, everyone on the staff was superb. The concierge recommended Mangle's florist in the Drake for a bouquet and it was astounding. In the end, I shall return. A very well run property with lots of pluses.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Joseph K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are very glad to know that you are a returning guest and that you have enjoyed the hotel and our staff during your visits. I am sorry to hear that on this most recent trip you encountered an unpleasant odor in your guest room. This is not at all typical of our standards of housekeeping, and we regret your disappointment. However, I am glad that you enjoyed 3002 and the great sunset view from that side of the hotel. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the very near future.

Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Unbeatable location. Nice room, great bed. Clean, new, fresh, sleek. Nice little restaurant with outdoor sidewalk seating. Nothing I'd consider overpriced (Five dollars for a whole pot of French-Press, for instance)
And terrific service from EVERYONE we encountered.
Well done Sofitel.

Dear DrGeis,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are so glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the service to be so outstanding. We are especially pleased to know that you were able to enjoy the just-opened patio at Cafe des Architectes! We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Chicago in the very near future!

Chicago, Illinois

Love this hotel.

Having recently moved back to Chicago, I stayed at the Sofitel many times as I traveled through on business and leisure... and have never been disappointed. The hotel is beautifully appointed... and has a hip feel... but it's location that can't be beat. Smack in the middle of the Gold Coast, you are walking distance to many of the city's best restaurants, Michigan Avenue shopping, you name it. Additionally the rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. There is a terrific restaurant in the lobby (frequented by many Chicagoans as the food is terrific) and a high end bar that also serves snacks.

Couple all of that with excellent service and you have a winner... I recommend this hotel to many friends who visit, and they love it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank geauxtger
Dear geauxtger,

Thank you very much for you review, and welcome back to Chicago! We are thrilled to know that you have enjoyed your stays with us and that you are recommending us to out of town guests. Thank you! We are especially pleased to know that you recommend Cafe des Architectes and Le Bar. We look forward to see you soon at either spot!

Miltown
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend and we enjoyed every minute of it. The service was excellent. The rooms were very clean, and spacious. The bathroom was large and comfortable. Everything here was great. I can't think of one thing to complain about. Great walking distance to everything too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear allison1127,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the service to be excellent. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the very near future.

Toronto
Reviewed April 26, 2013

sofitel is new, with bright rooms, really comfortable beds. Bar and restaurant for drinks and breakfast were great. It was nice to be greeting en francais by the warm and capable staff. Concierge offered great shopping trips which hurt our wallets ! I'd stay here again easily.

Room Tip: do be sure to have breakfast in the cafe
Dear FerrisToronto,

Thank you very much for your review of Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay and found our location to be so well-suited to your needs. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the very near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2013

On checking into the watermark the lobby has a very warm and inviting feel to it. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and nothing is ever an issue. The rooms are very comfortable and homely.

If you want somewhere near the navy pier then it's only a few blocks away and it's close to some great restaurants and Michigan Avenue. It is a bit out of the hustle and bustle and a bit if a walk to Millennium Park but its a pleasant walk.

I spent 3 weeks traveling America and the service at this hotel, follow up and after stay communication was the best I received from the 5 or 6 places I stayed in.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear agq1981,

Thank you very much for your review of Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our lobby and staff to both be so warm and inviting. We are proud to know that after your three-week American holiday, the service at Sofitel was so memorable for you. We thank you again for your stay and for your review, and we hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the near future.