WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Our first stay at a Sofitel, and we will definately stay here again. The hotel is in a perfect location. Walking distance to many dining choices and shopping yet set back a block from busy Michigan Avenue for a quiet break. You are walking distance to the many bars on Rush Street and the boutiques on Oak Street. Lovely lobby, with wonderful friendly staff. The rooms are spacious, clean and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was the best breakfast we have ever had at a hotel. Great menu and excellent croissants!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank therapytraveler
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear therapytraveler,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our location to be so ideal. We are especially pleased to know that you will be coming back! We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Nicolas Pesty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was the first time my Husband and I staid at the Sofitel Hotel. We were both very impressed by the welcoming lobby. The front desk was very helpful we arrived early, a little after 11:00 am and were able to get into our room right away. The room was very nice, comfortable king size bed, large bathroom with a separate walk in shower which was really nice. We also booked through Hotwire for our 43rd anniversary get away, and was well pleased with them. Our room was on the 11th floor we did not hear any outside noise, had a great view of the Hancock Building, and a beautiful church right across the street. We walked from the Millennium train station on Randolph, had a little bit of trouble locating it but a quick call to the concierge and he directed us right there without any problems.
The concierge was very helpful in suggesting restaurants for dinner and then making reservations for us.
We had no problems at all with the room everything was nice, clean and comfortable.
We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant, food was very good,very nice and helpful wait staff. Our waitress came around with an assortment of croissants, we each were able to pick one complementary of the restaurant.My husband enjoyed the French roast coffee that was brewed at the table.
I would defiantly recommend the Sofitel to anyone traveling to downtown Chicago, it is definitely a 4 1/2 plus star hotel. It is also located in a higher class area of town and safe to walk around at night to the different shopping, restaurants and bars in the area

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovebeach2
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear lovebeach2,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We would like to once again wish you a very happy 43rd anniversary! We arehappy to know that you enjoyed your room and the great view of downtown Chicago and the Gold Coast that it had. . Excellent service is what we strive to be known for, so your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to Sofitel!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is a welcoming hotel in a good location for visitors, just one block from the Hancock Tower and Michigan Avenue. I booked a Superior King room with breakfast & wi-fi included in the price – 3 nights. The room was not huge but had everything you needed including a beautifully clean bathroom and a view of the Hancock Tower and the lake from the 28th floor.

The bed was the usual very high Sofitel standard – incredibly comfortable with lovely linens. Towels and bathroom amenities were all good quality (Les notes de Lanvin – not highly scented) and the rainfall shower was fabulous – great water pressure. There was also the standard (deep) soaking tub for those that prefer to prune and wrinkle…

The hotel employees, without exception – from welcome to goodbye – are great and a major reason for the 5 star rating above. Friendly front desk people who were knowledgeable about both the hotel and the immediate area, breakfast staff who welcomed me each morning with what seemed like genuine pleasure and housekeeping who were just delightful – always with a ready smile (they did a good job too – the room was spotless) Kudos to the management for either their training or their recruitment practices – they definitely chose the right people for this hotel.

Food – I only had breakfast at the hotel but each day was a treat. I found the food to be really delicious – eggs benedict, omelettes made to order, fresh pastry and good coffee (which you could also get “to go” each morning). My room rate included breakfast but had it not I would have happily paid the standard (i.e. expensive) price for the dishes I ate.

I should also point out that the hotel is exceptionally quiet – if you get a room overlooking the front of the hotel there are no long corridors so no voices as people walk by – great if you are a light sleeper. My only gripe would be the absence of tea and coffee making facilities in the room and the silly wi-fi prices charged – these should be standard in any hotel of this calibre. And I’ve just remembered that as an A-Club Platinum, I wasn’t offered free drinks in the bar the first night. Strange, but I would still choose this hotel again and recommend to others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear dogsarforlife,

Thank you very much for your review! We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our location to be so convenient. Thank you for complimenting our hotel and our staff - it is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from our guests. I am sorry that as a Le Club Platinum member you did not receive your welcome drinks as usual. I have sent you a private message via Trip Advisor so that I can take your name and note your profile for your next stay. Thank you for pointing out the tip about our quiet rooms! Our hallways are unique in that no two rooms face each other, providing a very peaceful stay for all of our guests. We hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel in the near future!

Danvers, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Sofitel on four different occasions and I have always given them a five-star rating, however, this time I have to give them a four. This past weekend we celebrated our 23rd "honeymoon" with three nights at the Sofitel. I am a very savvy traveler and this trip was no exception because I used Hotwire to book the hotel. We were given a lower floor room overlooking a rooftop, but hey, someone has to get the "lesser" rooms. However, they were by no means fully booked. The "lesser" room worked out for us because it was very quiet and away from street noise. We had a couple of problems with the room, but they were fixed immediately. The bathtub hot water pressure was so low, let's just say I could've gone to dinner and back before it filled. One of our lights was out. Front desk offered us another room, but we were already settled in. Both were fixed while we were out of the room. There was a planned electricity outage on the 19th floor at 3AM, however it affected our floor as well. How do I know? I use a C-Pap machine for sleep apnea and it shut off on me. The front desk was kind enough to ask if we wanted another room, however, we said no. We were watching an in room movie that suddenly shut off towards the end. A technician was there within minutes and solved the problem and the front desk took it off our bill. Other than that, it was a pleasant stay, with no frills. The bar is nice and convenient. We have eaten at the restaurant in the past and it was one of the better meals I have ever eaten. The concierge made reservations for us during the busy restaurant week, with no problem. We were very grateful for their help. We have stayed at a number of different hotels in Chicago and the Sofitel was a favorite. Maybe next time, I won't Use Hotwire.....

Room Tip: If you want less street noise ask for a room overlooking one of their roofs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear bluizgirl,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I am very sorry to hear that your stay had a few glitches. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during this stay. Rest assured that we have addressed the issues that you mention with our Engineering staff to prevent future occurrence. I am glad to know that you feel our hotel staff responded well to the issues that you had, despite the annoyance of having to report them. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel in the very near future!
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We love this Chicago hotel. Great location near shopping, restaurants and sights. But the best thing about the hotel is the superb staff. Lise at the front desk was particularly outstanding. When I checked in, I mentioned that we were in town for the birth of our grandchild the next day. When I came back to the hotel after spending the next day in the hospital, she called the room to ask how everything went and I told her we had a new grandson. She congratulated us and we hung up. 10 minutes later there was a knock on our door with a lovely note from Lise, a box of chocolates and a darling stuffed bear. I was overwhelmed by the kind gesture, as were my son and his wife. She is to be commended for excellent customer service!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback about our hotel and the service that our employees provide. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and congratulations on the new addition to your family! Please rest assured that we have shared your comments with Lise, and she has been recognized for her excellent work. We hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel in the near future.