“Horrible check-in experience”

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Horrible check-in experience”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My debit card was "declined" for the deposit but when I checked my bank and called my bank, the bank informed me that the hotel had charged $250 twice. The person who checked me in treated me as if my bank card did not have funds and did not attempt to call the bank or figure out what was going on.

Instead, she kept repeating that it was declined. She vaguely told me that the ATM was on the 2nd floor without giving me any directions. I had to pace back and forth to find a semi-hidden ATM. When I came back with cash, I had to wait as she was too busy acting like she was busy with another guest.

I had to insist that she call my bank. She refused to do it while I was standing there. She told me she would do it later. I was tired after my flight that I just paid the $250 cash so I could rest in my room.

Once in my room, I got a call on the hotel phone saying my bank was on the phone line and they would reverse the charges. My bank stated that it was probably an error on the hotel's terminal, and that if the hotel had called the bank at the time, it would have been easily solved.

Upon check-out, I noticed I was charged for the phone call. I did not even want to bother with contesting the fee. As this result was not an error on my part, I would have hoped the fees for the phone call and my ATM withdrawal of cash would have been covered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stanley T
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. Your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. We sincerely regret the issue that you had during check-in with your credit card. This is not typical of our standards of service, and we regret the inconvenience that it caused you. Please rest assured that we have addressed this issue with our credit card system provider as well as with the agent who checked you in. We hope that you will present us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Alvarado, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

The Sofitel it located just blocks from the best shopping, food and attractions that Chicago has to offer. Upon arrival, you are met by the bellman, and in my case, with an umbrella. Doors were consistently opened for me and the hotel atmosphere is definitely modern Euro-chic. My checkin was flawless and speedy and I found my room to be very comfortable with both a shower and tub available. I has an exquisite view of the city and found city noise to be minimal even though we are just blocks from a large fire station. I enjoyed the turndown service, free wireless Internet and complimentary bottle of Evian every night. I have no complaints except to mention that all these amenities come with an expected price. Nice property with extremely attentive staff!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank dreaming*of*a*beach
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and we thank you for complimenting our hotel staff and excellent service, as our goal is always to exceed our guests’ expectations. Thank you for pointing out that our Gold Coast location is just steps from Magnificent Mile shopping, downtown dining and many of the best Chicago tourist attractions. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon!
San Carlos, California
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is nice, clean placed in a good location where you can easily walk. Don't rent a car, not worth paying the parking fees. I was disappointed by the bedding, they were holes in the pillow case!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. We are very sorry to hear that our linen was not up to Sofitel standards during your visit. This is not typical of our standards of service to our guests, and we regret the impression that it gave you. Please rest assured that we have taken the appropriate measures to address this with our Housekeeping and Laundry staff in order to prevent any future occurrence. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Great hotel, location to Magnificent Mile is about 5-10 minute walk max. Rooms are spacious and modern decor. Washroom is excellent with very good amenities. Gym was a bit on the small size for me. I don't recall there being a pool or spa there.

The french restaurant on the main floor was very elegant with a menu to satisfy all tastes. I would recommend this hotel to everyone

Room Tip: Macy's is a 5 minute walk as are a number of high end stores. The subway leading to the blue li...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us!
We are glad to read that you enjoyed our location and amenities, and delighted to see you had the chance to try our restaurant Café Des Architectes. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower very soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I wanted to visit her former neighborhood (Lincoln Park) and this hotel is so perfectly situated by the shopping on Michigan Ave and the Southern edge of the actual Lincoln Park. The staff were friendly, especially the bellhops/taxi/curb artists. The room service was wonderful (slighly overpriced, like all hotels), and the breakfast was fantastic. Our room had a wonderful view of the John Hancock building (ask for a room facing East), gorgeous, well-appointed bathroom and the bed was very comfortable.
The only drawbacks were a smaller-than-should-be room, and street noise that made it up to our 21st floor (what happened to double-pan, noise-insulated windows?).
But overall, we would definitly stay here again -- maybe even higher up?

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side have a view of John Hancock building
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrenchRoastFan
New Providence Island
Reviewed October 15, 2012

A beautiful hotel in a wonderful location. Staff is knowledgeable and friendly, but professional. The hotel is right off Chicago's Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave). If I had to ask for something it would be a little amenity in the room--a chocolate/cookie/something. Sofitel is a special brand but I think it could be made a little more special with a little amenity.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
HotelManagerOffice, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We are delighted to know that you found our staff to be knowledgable and friendly, and that you were able to take advantage of our excellent location just off the Magnificent Mile. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon!
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Comparing this hotel to the Sofitel in Gatwick England, this one is very ordinary. While the 3 day stay with friends was good, it was not great. I will explain.
On arrival we requested an upgrade since we were staying three nights. Our friends were given a corner room which is very cramped. They had to go down and seek out the manager to get moved. Each time I tried to contact the front desk, the concierge or room service I was put on hold. On one occasion, I called room service for two wine glasses. I finally gave up holding and went to the bar to get the glasses.
The fan for the heating/cooling system was very loud and kept going off and on all night. Also there was a banging sound which I attributed to the plumbing.
The breakfast menu prices are out of sight. I cannot imagine paying $19 for a continental breakfast. Instead we went a few doors away to a cafe at the corner of Chestnut and State. Also you can go across the road to the Ing Cafe if you just want coffee and a muffin.
While room bars are always expensive, this one beats them all. A gin and tonic will cost you $16. If you need snack food or take away, there is a gourmet store on State Street, just north of Chestnut and a variety store across the road.
While some may have liked the "bonjour" touch, I found it a little tacky. If you tried to continue the conversation in French, you discovered that there vocabulary was limited to a single word.
On the positive side, the Concierge was pleasant and helpful. We just loved Chicago. Great architecture and warm friendly people.
Next time we will try another hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid corner rooms and get as high as possible to avoid strteet noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Luvtravel41
HotelManagerOffice, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. Your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. We sincerely regret that your friends' room did not meet their expectations. However, it is reassuring to know that our manager was able to quickly assist them and found a room that better suited their needs. Thank you also for complimenting our Concierge services. Regarding the breakfast in our Café des Architectes, we strive to provide an outstanding breakfast experience as well as a good value to our guests. While some of our employees do not speak French fluently, many of them do and would be very happy to converse with you in French during your next stay! We are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower during your next visit to the Windy City.