Comparing this hotel to the Sofitel in Gatwick England, this one is very ordinary. While the 3 day stay with friends was good, it was not great. I will explain.
On arrival we requested an upgrade since we were staying three nights. Our friends were given a corner room which is very cramped. They had to go down and seek out the manager to get moved. Each time I tried to contact the front desk, the concierge or room service I was put on hold. On one occasion, I called room service for two wine glasses. I finally gave up holding and went to the bar to get the glasses.
The fan for the heating/cooling system was very loud and kept going off and on all night. Also there was a banging sound which I attributed to the plumbing.
The breakfast menu prices are out of sight. I cannot imagine paying $19 for a continental breakfast. Instead we went a few doors away to a cafe at the corner of Chestnut and State. Also you can go across the road to the Ing Cafe if you just want coffee and a muffin.
While room bars are always expensive, this one beats them all. A gin and tonic will cost you $16. If you need snack food or take away, there is a gourmet store on State Street, just north of Chestnut and a variety store across the road.
While some may have liked the "bonjour" touch, I found it a little tacky. If you tried to continue the conversation in French, you discovered that there vocabulary was limited to a single word.
On the positive side, the Concierge was pleasant and helpful. We just loved Chicago. Great architecture and warm friendly people.
Next time we will try another hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile bids you welcome with world-class downtown Chicago hotel accommodations - minutes from Michigan Avenue, the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Art Institute, and trendy boutiques. Designed by the French architect Jean-Paul Viguier, our downtown Chicago Illinois hotel is a 32-floor prism of glass, boasting 415 rooms, including 33 luxurious suites. Embrace modern design and rich architectural legacy at this luxury hotel in downtown Chicago, Illinois. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Chicago Water Tower Hotel Chicago
- Sofitel Chicago Water Hotel
- Sofitel Water Tower Hotel Chicago
- Chicago Sofitel