“Charming Bed and Breakfast in a quiet neighborhood near the McCormick Convention Center.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wheeler Mansion

Wheeler Mansion
Ranked #139 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Quaint and historic Bed and Breakfast two blocks away from the McCormick Convention Center. Safe neighborhood within walking distance to not only the convention center, but Soldier Field as well (we walked there at about 9 pm at night just for fun). Rooms are spacious and clean and nicely appointed in period decor. Bus stop to most of the Chicago sites is about three blocks away. About eight blocks away are a couple of great eateries (City Tavern and Waffles). City Tavern's dry-aged, strip loin burger is about the best burger in the city, and Waffles' take on hispanic-inspired savory breakfast dishes are awesome. Service at the Wheeler is very good. But be apprised that they are only there during certain hours of the day. My only complaint is that the toilet seat in our bathroom was cracked and needed to be replaced. However, if I needed to stay in Chicago in the South Michigan Avenue area, I would definitely considere returning to the Wheeler Mansion.

Room Tip: If you need an elevator, this isn't the place for you. Although there is a dumbwaiter for the l...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AGuyFromHawaii
Stephanie J, Guest Relations Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Aloha! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. It means a lot to us to know that you enjoyed your stay. Your feedback has been shared with the team and our maintinence department. Sorry for the needed repair. We hope to have you back year after year :)

Stephanie Lu & Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

The Wheeler Mansion is my new favorite place to stay in Chicago. The Mansion is beautiful. The rooms are bright and well-furnished. The living room is a pleasant place to relax. I had a coupon for a stay in the Mansion. I spoke with Stephanie to confirm the availablity of three rooms for a certain weekend. Next, I called my friends to discss staying at the manion.. I then call Stephanie back to book the rooms. In the intervening time, the coupon expired. However, Stephanie very gratiously honored the coupon and gave us the discounted rate despite the coupon having expired. She was very helpful when I booked the rooms and during our stay. There are good restaurants in walking distance and the Glessner Museum is nearby. It was easy to get a cab from there. We had a very pleasant experience staying at the Manion. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: It is worth it to get a suite as they are larger and more elegant, although every room is nice.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Laurie C
Laurie,

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you with us again soon!

Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is such a lovely hotel. Why stay in a generic and bland hotel? The reservation process was smooth and check in was great. We were looking for something out of the way, quiet and leisurely and that is exactly what we got. I thought that Stephanie did a great job explaining what the hotel policies were and I feel that if breakfast at 9:30am is not something you are happy with, I think you should consider staying somewhere else. Also, this is a B&B, you are just not going to get the same 24hr in-your-face service that one would get in a hotel. If you are interested in that, again, stay in another place. Don't go to a B&B for that type of thing and then complain that you are not getting it. Not fair to compare apples to oranges. If you want something different and quietly unobtrusive, then DEFINTELY STAY at the WHEELER!

My husband and I really enjoyed the location and the history of the mansion. We also really enjoyed moring coffee in the front room before breakfast reading quietly by the windows. There were some lovely books on the historical houses in Chicago as well as some art books. I would suggest to the owners to consider a book shelf with additional books about the history of Chicago to help entertain guests.

My only actual complaint was that there were two very small bed pillows on the bed and I am used to using two for myself, so my husband used a throw pillow instead. That being said, the room was very clean, spacious, and inviting.

The website was also very helpful in our plans for outings and activities. We took a tour with the DeTours company that the hotel recommended and it really enhanced our stay. The tour guide was knowledgeable and it showed.

We enjoyed our stay very much. Thank you to Stephanie and all the staff for making our anniversary weekend one we won't soon forget. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel H
Thank you for your review! Guests like you make our jobs delightful and we are so happy that you came away with such an incredible experience. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can offer you in the future. We look very forward to having you back Rachel!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

My husband and I just returned to Green Bay from a stay at the Wheeler Mansion. What a great experience. The mansion itself is full of interesting local history. We usually stay on North Michigan and have enjoyed weekends at the Ritz and the Omni. We were unfamiliar with the South Loop area but were pleasantly surprised. We loved being able to walk to local restaurants that were easily found since Lauren took her time to draw us a map and make recommendations upon our check-in.
Stephanie's culinary delights and warm smile got us off to a great start each morning. She took the time to ask where we planned to have dinner, then took the time to call and make reservations for us.
We were pleased to find that we were such a short distance from the Lakefront trail and that we had a secure place to keep our bikes at night. After a long ride along the lake front we were resting in our room when there was an unexpected knock on the door. It was Lauren bringing us fresh flowers in response to hearing it was our anniversary!
I am eager to return to the Wheeler Mansion and it's superb staff!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 21 and it was very quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DougandTomi
Thank you for sharing your experience online. I have shared your comments with our team and please contact me directly if I can ever be of service in the future. We can't wait to have you back :)

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

My positive experience with the Wheeler Mansion began well before my husband and I checked in. We were at the mercy of a train schedule and so were unable to meet the check-in time of 6 pm. The manager, Stephanie, went out of her way to accommodate our late check-in, graciously giving up her Friday night plans to help us. When I had a more unconventional idea to solve this, she readily agreed to allow our son, who lives in Chicago, to act on our behalf, gave him the necessary keys, etc. As a result, my husband no longer felt pressured at work (we now had the option of taking a later train), and we enjoyed our trip thoroughly. Our son picked us up at Union Station and drove us over to the mansion - and yes, it is a mansion - we went to our stunningly lovely room, ordered the obligatory pizza from Giordano's, and had a wonderful evening. The next day, we had a lovely breakfast - yogurt and a wonderful croissant for me - then my husband and son were off for a special late Father's Day event at Wrigley Field. I had been having some problems with back pain and an arthritic knee, so was content to stay in my room. I welcomed Sarah's knock to ask if there was anything I needed - when I jokingly asked for a few new body parts, I had no idea she was a doctor and could recommend an acupuncturist! When she brought me some information after making a few calls, I didn't hesitate to call Iris, a lovely young lady with impeccable credentials, who agreed to see me in my room at 4 pm., and after taking a proper history, ameliorated my pain using acupuncture. By the way, acupuncture has recently been approved by the FDA; I consider it (and I'm a true sceptic) to be an ancient yet brand new effective tool for a variety of ills, including pain. I was thrilled that Iris agreed to return on Sunday. With Stephanie's agreement, we moved from our third floor room to a first floor room for my meeting with Iris; a late checkout was easily arranged; Sarah and Allison again took great care of us - all of a sudden, as I gazed around at Stephanie, Sarah, Allison and Dr. Iris, I was seeing family. I believe strongly in customer service. The staff at The Wheeler Mansion are exceptional. I noticed that someone wrote a nasty review regarding a recent stay. Please note that their rules are clearly communicated. If your personal needs require an adjustment, please know that Stephanie and all the staff will do their best to help you out. If they are unable to do so, they might help in a different way on your next stay. If not, please understand the policies are clear and necessary at this point (as I looked back, I saw that Stephanie took over as manager only late last year, and apparently has had to make major changes quite rapidly). Feel free to talk to these good people, and I'm sure your experience will be a good one. As for me, I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank sks722
Wow. We are overjoyed to have provided this experience to you. Our team strives to perform at these standards each day. I have shared your feedback. Thank you for your input and we look forward to having you with us again soon!

Stephanie
Janesville, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is a very lovely mansion tucked away from all the hustle and bustle of Chicago. The room we had was great! We were able to stay in Room 11 on the first floor. It made you feel like you had the whole floor to yourself. Stephanie and the staff were very pleasant and seemingly helpful.

However, there were little things that could have been done differently without much effort. Parking was an issue. There was room for only 9 or 10 cars. They have 11 rooms and then add people who don't know how to park properly. We had to move the car twice.

They ran out of caffienated coffee on Sunday morning and staff was informed of that fact at 9:00 a.m. Monday morning came and there still was no caffienated coffee. It would not have been hard to go to the store and pick some up. When asked about it on Monday, the answer was to drink black tea.

The breakfast that was served on Sunday morning was almost gourmet compared to the one served on Monday. Sunday you got fruit, english muffins with eggs and cheese, sausage, and yogurt, Monday you got some very tastless and badly scrambled eggs, fruit and toast/bagels. One couple did not get eggs and were told that what had been put out was all that was allocated for the day. Eggs are not that expensive when you compare it to the price you pay for a room.

The organizational piece of running a place like this was not evident. Staff brought their children and pets to work with them which made the back garden/patio less enjoyable. Plants and flowers are truly needed back there. Please throw out the Wheeler Mansion cards if you do not intend on providing the ammenities listed.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 11 if you have a hard time with stairs.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. Your input has been shared with our staff. We appreciate your good rating—this truly means a lot to us and the integrity of the hotel. We also appreciate your comments pertaining to parking and lack of supply. Parking and breakfast are amenities here. We take great pride in this offering, as you pay a near fortune to park and have breakfast at other properties. At times, things can go wrong. We of course, wish this wasn’t the case. Ever. I assure you, being short on supplies is not at all part of our operational protocol. At a loss for coffee, black tea was suggested simply to try to be of service, as having no coffee was out of the staff’s control at that point and we do our best to provide the best possible alternatives for sticky situations. I invite you to contact me directly at Stephanie@wheelermansion.com or 312.945.2020 ext 1. I would like to personally apologize for any inconvenience and hope to have you with us again soon. Thank you!
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I had the loveliest time at this unique boutique hotel in Chicago! The staff was warm and welcoming! One of the girls advised me that their staff was small and to call if I had any questions. Well, I had never been to Chicago on business before, so I had a lot of questions. As soon as I called, the staff was there to answer all of my questions: make reservations for me and even go out of their way to hail me a cab. The rooms were elegant and warm, the breakfast although minimal options, was really tasty. I had a wonderful walk to museum campus, which one of the staff members recommended walking back that way during sunset for a beautiful view of the city, it was remarkable! Thank you so much! I can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Opt for the Suite it's spacious and cozy! Take the path to museum campus at sunset! WOW!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ell R
Stephanie J, Guest Relations Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Thank you for your review and we look forward to having you with us soon!

Stephanie Lu & The Wheeler Mansion Staff