“Beautiful Mansion/Extraordinary Service”
Review of Wheeler Mansion

Wheeler Mansion
Ranked #149 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed at The Wheeler Mansion February 2012. Coming to Chicago for the first time, Stephanie was EXTREMELY helpful. She recommended restaurants and things to do, she even offered to make reservations for us. She was prompt at returning phone calls when we reserved our room. The mansion was amazing, beautifully restored, surprisingly quiet and very clean. Attention to detail was definitively important while restoring this 100+ year old gem, so much that they even applied UV protection film on the windows to keep the beautiful decor from fading (I'm in the window film business, that's how I know). Most definitively recommended!

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor overlooking the front of the Mansion. Very quiet and convenient when wa...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter B
Stephanie J, Guest Relations Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Pete thank you so much for staying with us and we are so happy to be a part of your engagement! We will see you again soon!

Best,
Stephanie Lu

Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed at the Wheeler Mansion in January 2012. The attention I recieved from the time I placed the reservation with Stephanie to time I departed was outstanding. Stephanie met us when we checked in and showed us around the house and then to our room. We asked her to call us a cab to take us to dinner but the cab service said they would not be able to be there for over 30 minutes. Stephanie went above and beyond and drove us downtown to our restaurant. Breakfast each morning was prompt and pleasant. I spent time each day sitting by the fire in the living room reading. The setting was wonderful. I would reccomend this mansion to any one looking for a unique expirience while staying in Chicago.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pat1478
Stephanie J, Guest Relations Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Thank you Pat! We look forward to having you and your family back very soon! Have a wonderful week :)

Stephanie

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I don't know where to start, but I will back up the last review by saying yes, Stephanie is a doll and will go above and beyond for you. The other gals at the front desk were very helpful and friendly as well. My husband and I didn't quite know what to expect as most of the reviews online are rather hit or miss, but our room was to die for! I can't believe I hadn't heard of this place... We stayed in the suite on the third floor with a private fireplace and honestly could not have asked for a better evening. This getaway was exactly what we needed. Our room was beautifully decorated (so meticulous right down to the artwork on the wall) and spotless. The bathroom was absolutely gorgeous and the hotel itself was breathtaking and very clean. Breakfast was delicious and HUGE. We were full until dinner. Highly recommended folks. Enjoy!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank hinsdalecouple
Stephanie J, Guest Relations Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Thank you so very much for your kind sentiments! It was a pleasure to have you with us at the Mansion and I appreciate your feedback. Happy New Year and I look forward to seeing you both again very soon!

Reviewed November 7, 2011

We were welcomed by Stephanie Lu and she is the best!!! Very, VERY friendly! She offered an excellent service and is the nicest girl we have ever met! She helps you with all your questions and arranges everything with a big smile!

The rooms were very good accommodated as well and this boutique hotel is located on walking distance of the Mc Cormack Place! A very unique experience!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank VeerleVds

Veerle! Thank you for the glowing review. You are too kind. I'm glad we could take care of everything you needed during your time with us and we look forward to seeing you for your next convention! If there is anything we can do for you here in Chicago, or if you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly at the hotel! Take care and happy travels :)

Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed there couple months ago, I had a chance to meet the owner. She is so rude the same as the manager. There was no water no breakfast It was really dirty, There were bugs in my bedroom. Every time when I asked the maid for something she was ignoring me ! The same, there was no shampoo. Plus some kids were running all the time and yelling ridicules NEVER AGAIN !!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank J R

I'm so sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with us and I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. We would love to have you stay with us again and I encourage you to please contact me directly at the hotel if there is anything I can do to assure you that these issues are absolutely not a part of our policies or cleaning regimen. We are under new management and ownership and appreciate your business. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Reviewed June 14, 2011

I travel a lot, and this was the worst experience I've had. Arriving at the hotel mid-afternoon, I was informed that the hotel was oversold. After a stressful couple of hours, the best they could offer was a hotel in Schaumburg, way outside the city, making it impossible for me to follow through on my business plans. While the manager was apologetic, there is no excuse for an 11 room hotel overbooking like this. It says a lot about the ethics of the business--I was not the only one to get bumped that day. While the hotel is beautiful-at least the public areas I saw-I can't ever imagine making a reservation there again. I just don't trust it won't happen again. No place is worth this kind of risk. I can't imagine how these guys stay in business.

Room Tip: Check to make sure they are not oversold!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
9  Thank BizTravfromCO

Hello and I would first like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Your business is very important to us and I'm so sorry this occurred. As of August of 2011, the hotel has undergone new ownership and management. I understand that I was not present to be sure that your needs were met, but I would like to speak with you directly to talk about what I can offer you for you to please consider staying with us again. These are NOT our policies and I kindly request that you please contact me directly at the hotel. 312.945.2020 Thank you so much and I look forward to speaking with you.

Stephanie Lu Jokich

Reviewed November 20, 2010

I just received the worst customer service I can imagine with a hotel, and I am appalled that a hotel can get away with treating customers this way!! I booked this hotel 10 months before my work conference. This was necessary since the conference brings in 30,000 attendees and hotels book up quickly. I booked on Booking.com for $150, and I was thrilled because it is one block from the McCormick Place Convention Center and was much cheaper than the other hotels recommended by the conference organizers. To my dismay, the owner called me 4 days before the trip and told me they were overbooked and they would be moving me to a hotel 8 miles away in Lincoln Park. Since I booked 10 months beforehand, I questioned why I was the one getting bumped. The owner basically told me they made a mistake posting the price on Booking.com at $150 and it should have been $250. They were instead giving our rooms to European clients who were paying more and staying longer!! They backtracked and tried to claim these people also booked before me, but if they knew they were overbooked 10 months ago they would have called me 10 months ago. She told me she worked for days to try to find me a replacement hotel at the last minute, but then I never heard back from her with an alternate reservation. I had to scrounge around last minute to find a reasonably priced hotel last minute for a convention that had long since booked up all the nearby hotels. This is probably the most stressful and insulting hotel experience I have ever had.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank nct5x

Hello and what a terrible ordeal this must have been. I am sincerely sorry that you had to go through this. As of August of 2011 the hotel has undergone new ownership and management and although overbooking can at times happen (for any hotel), we go above and beyond to be sure that our guests have everything they need during their stay with us. I invite you to please contact me at the hotel 312.945.2020 to discuss this further. Your business is very important to us and I know that I can’t take back what happened, but I can make it a priority to see to it that you are happy. Thank you for your understanding.
Stephanie Lu Jokich