“Finally an authentic patisserie”

Toni Patisserie & Cafe
Ranked #12 of 199 Dessert in Chicago
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I scoped out the bakeries within downtown Chicago and made a trip to Toni's while on a business trip. Fantastic. The interior space in addition to the food (selection and quality) was the closest I've found to a good, solid patisserie since my last trip to Europe. I've been on the hunt for awhile and this place really satisfied my need for a wonderful french bakery.

2  Thank DianeMarieA

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Many American bakeries seem to value size over quality - they produce those enormous muffins and croissants the size of a football - but one feels slightly ill after eating those things. Toni, on the other hand, produces gorgeous little works-of-art - their pastries are perfect, delicious, beautiful, delicious, fresh and extra-delicious. Between the two of us, we had an éclair, and a raspberry tartlet and then we came back the next day for a tiny little angel food cake and a pan au chocolate. Every bite was wonderful. Service was professional and friendly, too. I look forward to returning.

2  Thank DodoChapelHill
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I went to lunch with one of my co-workers. She decided on this place because of her previous experience. The restaurant serves a very good variety of Salads (6), Baquette Sandwiches (7) and Hot Sandwiches (8). Also available are Soupe du Jour. The service was very good and the food was excellent. Our food was served by the owner. The quantity of food looks meager at first but is more than filling. The lunch time crowd is huge so expect to spend a little time ordering and being served but it is worth it. On the negative side, the prices are somewhat high. Salads start at $7 and go up from there; Sandwiches range from $7.50 on up. I recommend this place.

2  Thank lemonaid73
Reviewed May 28, 2013

One of the staff at the Chicago Cultural Center, the amazing original Chicago library, recommended that Toni's for lunch was a great place to stop. We checked it out and it turned out to be a fantastic place. We had a baguette with turkey, roasted red peppers and avocado, very large with a small side salad, and a large salad Nicoise. We asked for the salad without onions, and the counter person volunteered that though the salad had no onions, the tuna salad did. So she substituted a large portion of smoked salmon for the tuna. The portion was enough for a person and a half which I took advantage of by working my way through my huge sandwich and then helping with the salmon on the salad too. Well worth a visit though we were so full we skipped the snacks and cookies. (We tried some oatmeal raisin cookie samples while we were waiting for the food - definitely a treat.)

2  Thank lakemary1204
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The soft boiled eggs were delicious! I also had to get the chocolate croissant since they looked so good :) And, they are! great little find.

1  Thank Gwen_Indy