“Great Neighborhood Restaurant on North Central in Chicago”
Review of The Portage - CLOSED

The Portage
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Irving Park Rd.
Description: Restauant, bar, outdoor patio.
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Neighborhood Restaurant on North Central in Chicago”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The Portage is located at 3938 N. Central in Chicago. A small, but great restaurant. Has the restaurant, bar and outdoor patio. We went with a group of four. Made a reservation, which I strongly recommend. We were able to be seated in the back part of the restaurant, almost like a library, away from the noise and hustle in the other part of the restaurant/bar.
There are a lot of different things on the menu. Portions are average size, but once you have a soup, salad and appetizer, you don't need much. Starting with appetizers - very good crabcake with an excellent sauce Not sure what it was, but it was very good. The mushroom soup may have been the best any of us ever tried. Now, I absolutely hate brussel sprouts. But they have an appetizer called Fried Brussels. Excellent. I never would have guessed someone could make them taste like these. We alsoi tried some of the bacon wrapped dates. Very good as well. Entrees ordered were the Amish Fried Chicken, Boneless Ribeye, Beef Short Ribs and Seared Scallops. We did sample some of each, and I would be hard pressed to figure out which one to order next time. All very good, and like comfort food.
We were too full for dessert, but they let us try their sweet potato creme brulee. An amazing dessert, and I am not a big fan of sweet potatos. Crystallized sugar on top (just like traditional creme brulee), with candied walnuts on top.
The Portage has a full bar menu, with a good selection of wines and beer. This was a nice new restaurant for us to find. We would go back in an instant. Staff was very attentive and personable.
Thanks for a great evening out!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Tom M

“Great spot.”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Recently moved to Portage Park and been here a couple of times with my wife. Its a great spot. So glad to be able to get this type (and level) of food without heading downtown. Its a small spot with a great friendly atmosphere and knowledgeable attentive staff. The menu is varied and they have regular rotation of specials. Great cocktail menu and drinks selection. What has struck me most in my visits is the meat is obviously high quality and handled extremely well. Dates wrapped in bacon I could eat like amazing little bits of candy. Great Mac and Cheese. Jalapeno margarita is worth the trip alone. A little on the noisy side when busy as it is quite a compact layout. I would love this place to do brunch. Priced to reflect the quality.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Mark H
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Great Relief from Leftover Turkey”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

In Chicago with the family for Thanksgiving and we couldn't face leftovers a second time in one day. I am so glad we decided to go out. My son and his family love this restaurant and have taken me there two times. The results are the same both times. Great food and service. We even took the children ages five and three and they had a children's menu that they loved the food. I would love to go there again.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Barb C
Chicago, Illinois
“A top class spot in our neighborhood”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We finally have an excellent restaurant in our neighborhood. This is the type of place people go downtown for. They have awesome food and the specials are awesome. They also have monthly wine pairing meals. It is worth the trip no matter where you live in Chicago but if you are on N or NW side you must go here.

• Visited August 2013
gemcan83
“Neighbourhood Gem”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Moved recently into the Portage Park area and we discovered this place last night. What a find - simple, delicious food served by attentive staff. The cocktail menu is good, can thoroughly recommend the jalapeño margarita- yum! I'll echo other reviewers on here and say how good the dates in bacon is and also the mac n cheese. Main courses great too. Couldn't manage desert but planning to save room for next time. Loving having such a great place in walking distance!

• Visited November 2013