“Gourmet vegan food for absolutely everyone”
Review of Native Foods Cafe

Native Foods Cafe
Ranked #644 of 9,525 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
California
“Gourmet vegan food for absolutely everyone”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I discovered Native Foods about two years ago on a trip to Chicago. Without question, this place has the very best vegan or vegetarian food I've ever had. During my one-week stay in the city, I chose to eat at Native Foods four times – it was that good. I brought two non-vegetarians to the restaurant and they both raved about the food. The food is innovative, lovely to look at, and fabulous to eat. Even the texture is exquisite. And it's not even expensive.

• Visited November 2012

• Polish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Vegan Food Cheap and Fast”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have been to Native Foods in Chicago about 5 times and love it very much, I usually get the daily special and a drink I highly recommend the lavender lemonade and twister wrap

• Visited September 2013
“Where's the beef?”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

There isn't any.. no beef or any other animal matter except for the diners. Native Foods will leave you satisfied and if you are vegan really happy to have a full menu of choices vs. picking the standard veggie plate from the carnivore menus of other lunch and dinner spots. For the meat-eaters, you will not even miss the animal proteins. It's pricey compared to other lunch spots but well worth it.

• Visited July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“VEGAN PARADISE AT REASONABLE PRICES”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Okay, if you look at my review history you'll see that I rarely give 5 stars to anything (in fact to date I think this is my first one). Native Foods is one exception to that rule.

They offer what I would consider many, near gourmet selections in a semi "fast food" environment at a great value... typically under $10 per entree and a special every day that includes a free side. There just aren't many 100% vegan restaurants out there - less than 5 in the Chicago area that I know of - and certainly none with such a diverse and value oriented menu including a few awesome deserts. I'm not typically into the faux meats or other over processed vegan foods but the corned beef Reuben is a must try. But, if you're not into faux there are plenty of awesome bowls to choose from as well. The sweets are agave sweetened, which I’ve mostly eliminated from my diet but the chocolate peanut butter parfait is worth caving on... it's so awesome! Very rich so don't get it unless you’re really hungry or plan on bringing half of it home with you.

The staff at the Milwaukee avenue location are very friendly and helpful and when asked proudly proclaim, "Yes! EVERYTHING is vegan"! For non-vegans please give this place a try - very health, and i promise, you won't miss the meat at all :-) My wife is not a vegan but loves going there with me and enjoys the wide variety of bowls and sandwiches as much as I do.

The only problem I have with the place is that it is too close to my house and I want to want to eat there every day... they offer a cookbook which I plan on buying.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank stolenbuick
Denver, Colorado
“Wonderful place for vegans and meat-eaters alike”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

It is truly impressive how creative they can get without any animal products. While the food does not taste exactly like what it is imitating, it comes pretty darned close and is always delicious. Not just a hippie hangout, but a really good place where everyone can eat and enjoy their food.

Visited May 2013