“VEGAN PARADISE AT REASONABLE PRICES”
Review of Native Foods Cafe

Native Foods Cafe
Ranked #958 of 9,899 Restaurants in Chicago
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Okay, if you look at my review history you'll see that I rarely give 5 stars to anything (in fact to date I think this is my first one). Native Foods is one exception to that rule.

They offer what I would consider many, near gourmet selections in a semi "fast food" environment at a great value... typically under $10 per entree and a special every day that includes a free side. There just aren't many 100% vegan restaurants out there - less than 5 in the Chicago area that I know of - and certainly none with such a diverse and value oriented menu including a few awesome deserts. I'm not typically into the faux meats or other over processed vegan foods but the corned beef Reuben is a must try. But, if you're not into faux there are plenty of awesome bowls to choose from as well. The sweets are agave sweetened, which I’ve mostly eliminated from my diet but the chocolate peanut butter parfait is worth caving on... it's so awesome! Very rich so don't get it unless you’re really hungry or plan on bringing half of it home with you.

The staff at the Milwaukee avenue location are very friendly and helpful and when asked proudly proclaim, "Yes! EVERYTHING is vegan"! For non-vegans please give this place a try - very health, and i promise, you won't miss the meat at all :-) My wife is not a vegan but loves going there with me and enjoys the wide variety of bowls and sandwiches as much as I do.

The only problem I have with the place is that it is too close to my house and I want to want to eat there every day... they offer a cookbook which I plan on buying.

1  Thank stolenbuick

Reviewed August 13, 2013

It is truly impressive how creative they can get without any animal products. While the food does not taste exactly like what it is imitating, it comes pretty darned close and is always delicious. Not just a hippie hangout, but a really good place where everyone can eat and enjoy their food.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I adore meat and consider that tofu is the less tastiest and less appealing food in the world. Still, I found this place amazing. Nice place, tidy and clean. No service to the table, but still very attentive staff. Great salads, awesome dressings, everything natural. I'd go again definitively.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had avoided Native Foods for a long time. I'm a vegetarian, but don't usually go in for vegan meals. I like my cheese and butter. But the first time I tried this place, I was hooked. I haven't eaten meat for a very long time, so I can't say if it actually tastes like the real thing or not (though people say it does). But it is delicious. My favorite has to be the Oklahoma Bacon Cheeseburger followed by the Scorpion burger (tempeh). Their sweet potato fries are some of the best I've had. Indo noodle salad is also really good as is the kale macro bowl (which even though it has to be super healthy, is also really tasty). I wasn't crazy about the Chicken Run sandwich and the biggest disappointment to me was the Caribbean Kale salad (way too much raw kale, not enough substance). But hey, not everything can be a home run I guess - and this place has enough really great items that I think I'll just need to try everything on the menu!
Bonus points for a quick moving line and outdoor seating.

1  Thank Sunny77777
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We ate at the South Clark Str branch on our way to hear a concert at Grant Park (it is just a stroll away from there) - great find! Both of us were pleasantly surprised by the great taste of the food - all organic, rich of flavour and creatively presented. The staff is simply excellent, very attentive, accommodating and helpful - we felt at home. They have a system of rewards and a card, so if it is your first time you're going to get a free dessert and you can cumulate points on your card; plus, if you register online, you get a free meal for your birthday. I had a earth bowl (flavoured with Green Thai curry), it was a bit on the hot side but really excellent - I enjoyed it till the last bit. Price: very reasonable, also for Chicago standards.