“Sooooo good !!”

Roka Akor | Chicago
Reserve with OpenTable
Roka Akor | Chicago is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 10,826 Restaurants in Chicago
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: River North
Cross street: Illinois Ave
Transit: Red Line – exit at Grand, one block north to Illinois #22 Bus –exit at Grand (if coming from the North), exit at Hubbard (if coming from the South)…walk ½ block west #36 Bus—exit at Illinois (walk 1 ½ blocks west) #147 Bus—exit at Illinois (walk ½ block east)
Description: Roka Akor is the second location a highly regarded Scottsdale, Ariz.-based Japanese steakhouse and sushi bar, ranked among Bon Appetit magazine's top 10 sushi restaurants in the country in 2009. Meats, fish and vegetables are grilled over oak charcoal on a robata-style grill. Sit at the sushi bar to chat with the chefs as the slice and assemble sashimi platters and maki with fish that's flown in daily. Besides sizzling steaks and contemporary sushi served the dining room, a bar area features shochu and sake cocktails.
Reviewed August 28, 2018

Very good food and cocktails in an amazing place with an impeccable service !! I will come back for sure .

Reviewed August 28, 2018

Restaurants come and go. Chicago has a dizzying array of culinary delights and it's hard to decide where to go - what to eat. Roka is that diamond in the rough. With it's attentive and friendly staff ready to help navigate the menu items, and neo-modern-japonaise airy interior decor, our lunch experience was a smash hit in total. Beautifully presented and incredibly delicious, everything exceeded expectations. Heaven must be like this - it must be like this.

1  Thank Wilkins K
Reviewed August 27, 2018

The Hot Pot is a must with the black truffle. One of the best rice meals I have ever had. This dish alone is enough to get me to come here again. The sake selection is great and very enlightening into a drink that I enjoy but still do not think I appreciate the quality. Would suggest this place for special occasions or if you feel like spending some money on a great dinner.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed August 27, 2018

I had an unforgettable experience at Roka Akor during Lolla Weekend in Chicago. While we were waiting for our friends we sat at the bar and ordered a drink. Pat gave us a unique experience with our drinks. The care and effort he put in to making our drinks was very much appreciated. The quality of the ingredients used to make our drinks definitely elevated the flavor to another level. The whole bar staff was attentive, engaging and service focused.

Once we were seated, I relied on my husband and a friend to order our food. I particularly enjoyed the Robata Grilled Scallops, the Seared Salmon Maki and the Grilled Prime Skirt Steak. Overall, my taste buds were elevated to another level and appreciated most of the dishes we had.

After having received the exceeded expectation kind of service at the bar, I was highly disappointed with our waiter and the service provided in the dining room. The incredible drink I had at the bar was not the incredible drink that I expected to get when ordered a second. I politely sent it back and told the waiter to ask Pat to make me a new one and it still wasn't the same.

Even with that disappointment, I do plan on going back and have dinner at the bar.

Reviewed August 26, 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend and I ate here on a Friday evening and it was a fantastic experience. We took the tasting menu, which was modified to be gluten free and it was absolutely delicious. Particular highlights were the sashimi (huge portion) along with the steak.
Cannot recommend highly enough