I stayed for four nights in an Executive Suite at The Peninsula while visiting friends from my college days. This was my second stay at The Peninsula and it won't be my last. In addition to the stunning service and facilities, I was able to get a very decent rate under one of their summer specials.
My room was extremely spacious (see photos)--separate living room, entrance hallway, connecting hallway, etc. One of my favorite things about the Peninsula is the amount of room devoted to dressing--plenty of closet space, drawers, and mirrors. The sound-proofing was superb--windows open you could hear sirens and all the other sounds of the city, but once they were closed there was no sound from outside.
One of the most attractive things about this room was the bathtub with a window overlooking Michigan Avenue--I took baths just to be able to look through the window!
The technology is, if anything, over the top--I counted six telephones or equivalents (like the voice-operated one in the bathtub) in the suite, two televisions, a stereo system, and the Peninsula-standard electronic control systems (see photo)--on one morning when I slept in light and housekeeping knocked on the door (a long way from the bedroom) I just had to roll over and hit the "Privacy" button on the phone--a light turned on outside the room and that was it.
No complaints at all about this trip, but I do have two suggestions, both from The Berkeley in London--
1) The deck chairs on the sun roof outside often appeared occupied even though no-one was there--it would be worthwhile to clean these more frequently or to put up a sign asking people to clear away their belongings when they were done so that more people could enjoy the sun deck.
2) Shoes left overnight for polishing should be returned with temporary shoe trees.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at Water Tower Park on the "Magnificent Mile," the city’s premier shopping district, The Peninsula Chicago is the city's most luxurious and sophisticated hotel, offering guests all possible amenities and services. The Peninsula Chicago is a proud recipient of the Five-Star, Five-Diamond Award, and was also recently awarded "#1 Large City Hotel In US And Canada" by readers of Travel + Leisure. The Peninsula Chicago's 339 luxurious guestrooms and suites are among the largest in the city and are exquisitely furnished in a contemporary yet classical style, with a state-of-the-art electronic system that provides guests the ability to control guestroom features with the touch of a button. At the top of The Peninsula Chicago, you’ll find the world-renowned Peninsula Spa. An intimate, indulgent environment featuring innovative spa treatments, gracious service and magnificent facilities including a half-Olympic length swimming pool on the 19th floor overlooking the Chicago skyline. With three distinctive restaurants and a bar, guests can choose from a diverse array of superb dining options. Shanghai Terrace is notable as much for its intensely flavored Shanghainese and Cantonese delicacies as for its matchless service and 1930s supper club atmosphere; The Lobby provides an incredible breakfast, lunch and dinner menu, live entertainment and delectable afternoon tea in elegant surroundings; The Bar offers a sophisticated menu of cocktails, port; and Pierrot Gourmet is a European-style cafe ideal for casual, light fare. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, Ctrip TA, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Peninsula Chicago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Peninsula Chicago Hotel Chicago
- Peninsula Chicago
- Chicago Peninsula