“Exceptional”

The Peninsula Chicago
Ranked #2 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Having never stayed at a Peninsula before, I was unsure what to really expect. I can easily say I was very impressed overall. The room was very spacious and ultra-modern with a great view. The only point of contention was our waiter for breakfast seemed a bit lackadaisical, and we had to wait a while to flag him down to pay the check. Another minor point was the (relatively) early closing time at The Bar in a city that seems to stay open much later than others.
Other than those minor points, the stay was flawless. Location is ideal for anyone hoping to stay in one of best parts of Chicago.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,565)

Reviewed July 18, 2014

Once again The Peninsula Hotel group didn't disappoint.......the service was perfect, and the room fabulous! Breakfast was delicious, and the eating area was beautiful. Décor throughout the hotel was amazing...very luxurious. The bar was lovely too.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite with fantastic views
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CWIN
Peninsula_CH, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear CWIN,

Thank you for visiting The Peninsula Chicago and taking the time to share your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your recent visit, our service, your room, and our food, specifically breakfast. I am also flattered by your comment about The Bar. It truly is a lovely place.

We hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I can't recommend this hotel enough. There are some great hotels in Chicago, and many of them blow you away. The Peninsula was something else. Their housekeeping team's attention to detail, the comfortable beds, the spacious bathrooms, and the friendly staff made my stay outstanding. I would recommend doing the sunrise yoga session if you can - it's a great way to start the day! The only thing I would criticize was a concierge lady who was a bit cold when she was servicing me - perhaps she was having a bad day. Other than that- best hotel experience!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Peninsula_CH, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear mjai89,

Thank you so much for choosing The Peninsula Chicago. We are very flattered by your kind comments on the comfort of the guestroom, the cleanliness, and service; but I am concerned to learn that our Concierge staff was “a bit cold” when assisting you. Your feedback is very important to us, and I will address this with our Concierge team to avoid similar incidents.

We are very happy you enjoyed your experience overall and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed July 11, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Peninsula Hotel immensely. We spent a weekend here with our 2 year old daughter. The staff did an excellent job helping us feel at home. When we arrived the room was already equipped with a crib for our daughter complete with stuffed bear, child slippers, and baby bath items. As those with children know, travelling with little ones can be stressful and this kind of service definitely helped all of us relax.

The room was immaculate and very comfortable. Every member of staff we encountered was extremely helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel to families who are looking for a luxury getaway. Yes, it does cost more but the quality of the hotel, rooms, restaurants, and facilities seem to justify the value.

As far as the restaurants go - we ate at the French bistro down on the first level twice and really enjoyed the food. We also ate at the lobby restaurant one evening and really enjoyed the food and the live music being performed from the balcony above the restaurant.

Room Tip: Look for a higher floor number for a better view
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank TX_travelling_man
Peninsula_CH, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear TX_traveling_man,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Peninsula Chicago. We are very happy to hear that our staff’s excellent service made you feel right at home, and that your 2-year old daughter’s crib and amenities were set up in your room upon arrival. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the luxurious surroundings and good food, especially The Lobby restaurant.

We all look forward to your return visit hopefully again soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for our anniversary. Every employee we encountered was friendly and helpful from the bellman to the maids; the concierge to the doorman and the front desk workers. The bar was classic with fair priced drinks for the area. The room had a large bathroom, full tub with TV. Each night we received a free water bottle. There was free wifi and choice of news daily newspaper. We also got a great price on the room, 3 nights for the price of 2.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Peninsula_CH, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear jmd49er,

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago to celebrate your special day. I am very happy to read that the service provided by our staff made your visit enjoyable and that you liked the various amenities the hotel has to offer.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I decided to stay here after reading all the rave reviews this past July 4th weekend. We have stayed at many awesome hotels throughout the World and thru Amex FHR. After our recent stay at Peninsula, I can tell you there are definitely better places to stay in Chicago at a much better value, have better service, and is more comfortable. I have no idea how this hotel got a 5 star, its more like 3.5 star max. Some reasons for our opinion:

-No bottled water in the room upon arrival. For nearly 600.00 for one night (thats what we paid), you would expect them to at least have some water in the room, complimentary. They do bring you one bottle each before bed with turn down service, but who wants to stay up all night going to the bathroom. This is CHEAP, just plain CHEAPO

-Room was small and stuffy, had to call at 2 am to get a fan to help circulate the air in the room. It helped. 5 star hotel requires a floor fan.

-Breakfast voucher was only for continental breakfast thru AMEX FHR. Max was 25.00 per person!! St Regis is twice that amount and other 5 star hotels don't even count how much you spend (e.g. Four Seasons). Even if my wife ordered an extra tea, 5 star hotels don't care and want you to enjoy. You DO NOT get that feeling at Peninsula. CHEAP!

-Upon first night they give you a small box with 4 chocolates, no further chocolate on your pillow after that. CHEAP!

-I brought this up to the manager upon checkout. He handed me the bill and said goodbye.. CHEAP!

-I paid close to 600.00 per single night at this hotel. I have paid this and more at other 5 star hotels, but those hotels were worth it! Like good service, good views etc. This place had nothing but views of old buildings.

-No wine toasts, no champagne toasts... basically nothing. Dull and boring hotel.

My wife and I feel ripped off, do yourself a favor.. if you really want to stay at a 5 star..stay somewhere else.. otherwise you will feel like me guilty and ripped off. At least I know for next time not to waste my time here. Gave me an uneasy feeling.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Moman2000
Peninsula_CH, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Moman2000,

Thank you for visiting The Peninsula Chicago and for taking the time to post your review. We are surprised and disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations and we extend our sincerest apologies. I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, found our amenities mediocre, and our staff service unexceptional. You also mentioned for your next stay you will be choosing another hotel. We understand there are many excellent options in Chicago, we would be appreciative to hear what else we could have done during your stay to welcome you back. I hope to hear more about your experience and that you will please contact me directly at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com

Thank you for your feedback; we hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Conveniently near the shopping on Michigan Ave, a short walk to beaches on the Lake, a stroll to two legendary Chicago Deep Dish restaurants, you simply can't beat the location. But there are a lot of hotels in Chicago with great locations, what separates the Peninsula from the rest is the attention to detail by its wonderful staff and the its superb facilities. Like all Peninsulas the staff is superbly trained, friendly and helpful. While we were there a famous rock star was there and a large wedding was going on--neither fazed the staff in any way. The rooms are large and bathrooms luxurious. The House Keeping staff is quite simply the best I've experienced in hotel in this country. The salon and pool are lovely and the steam room is a nice touch. I recommend the Pierrot Gourmet, a little French Bistro in the hotel that is perfect for lunch or a light dinner.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kdh1716

Dear kdh1716,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and for your complimentary review on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, the location, our beautiful property, décor, and helpful and friendly staff. We are very pleased you mentioned our housekeeping staff is the best you have experienced, and your recommendation of the Pierrot Gourmet as the perfect place for lunch and dinner.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back again when your travels bring you to Chicago.