“Truly a 5-star in every way”

The Peninsula Chicago
Ranked #3 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Loved this hotel. Top customer service from the moment our taxi arrived to departing for airport. Gracious and extremely helpful staff. They even returned our rental car for us. Delicious breakfast in dining room served with such gracious hospitality. Would recommend this hotel over all others and there are some really nice hotels in Chi ago!

• Stayed: May 2013
ThePeninsulaChi, General Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Ms. ClaudiaZS,

Your generous feedback is appreciated, as well as the kind recommendation. We are delighted to learn you found the staff to be gracious and helpful during your stay and happy our staff could assist in returning your rental car. We hope to welcome you back to The Peninsula Chicago again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Peninsula Chicago

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I really liked this place. I've always liked a slight hint of the Orient in my travels, and although it's fairly watered down here from the lions out front to slight touches in the decor, there's a pleasant quietude about this place that won me over.

The grand entrance hall sets you up. The front desk and its gracious service invites you in. The lobby with its live music tucked away on an upper balcony sings to you. Don't even get me started on the chocolate buffet. Yes, you heard me right. The room was well-appointed and the prices were right. The location was right off Michigan, behind a Tiffany's of all things, and I'm coming back with my coworkers for sure. My only complaint is that they used to have Avenues and turned it into additional meeting/banquet space. That was a great restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BigFish-56

Dear BigFish-56,

Thank you for again choosing The Peninsula Chicago and providing your review. Your gracious feedback is appreciated. We are proud of your comments on the calmness you find during your stay and are delighted to hear you enjoy the music in The Lobby during Chocolate at The Pen! We are also glad you found the location near Michigan Avenue to be convenient and hope to welcome your co-workers during your next stay. We are sorry to hear you miss Avenues, however we offer incredible dining experiences in The Lobby, Shanghai Terrace and Pierrot Gourmet. We would be happy to welcome you at any of these restaurants.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Peninsula Chicago.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I didn't actually stay at this hotel but my husband and young daughter did. My husband said the service was ridiculously good and that the hotel was amazing. So why would I be writing this then....well after upon returning my daughter, in tears, told me she forgot her dream catcher and a little tape measure that was once my deceased mothers. She slept with them every night and was super upset she left them behind. The next day my husband called over and they said they had the items and sent them straight out. When we received the package it was if they really knew how much the items meant. They were wrapped in tissue and placed in a felt bag. Many thanks to the maid who found and returned them to the front desk and for whoever sent off the package! If I ever go to Chicago I know where Im staying!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Ms. Vicki00000,

We appreciate your gracious feedback and happy to accommodate your husband and daughter during their recent stay at The Peninsula Chicago. We are delighted to have been able to return the dream catcher and tape measure to your daughter; we imagine she would have been disappointed if her treasured items were not returned to her.

We hope next time you can all visit us as a family!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Peninsula Hotel is one of my favorite Chicago hotels. The Peninsula is a classic experience. The lobby and restaurants are gorgeous. The rooms are beautiful. The location is exceptional for shopping! The spa is fantastic and the service impeccable. Does it get any better? It does if it is summertime and you can go outside on their terrace for a cocktail! Definitely one of Chicago's pricier properties, but if you are looking to splurge a little - it is worth it! You will enjoy your entire experience. Also - their indoor bar is always very busy, it's a popular spot. I would recommend trying to get a reservation if it is possible.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a King Deluxe or Grand Deluxe for more space.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SafariSnob

Dear Ms. Shelane N.,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago. Your generous review is appreciated! We are pleased to hear you found The Lobby and our restaurants to be beautifully designed and experienced “impeccable service” at The Spa. We are also happy to hear the weather cooperated for you to enjoy The Terrace; it’s a wonderful outdoor retreat in the Windy City during our warmer months! We do not offer reservations in The Bar as we welcome guests first come, first serve and hope you were able to join us during your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Sometimes you need to splurge and on our vacation we got a good deal on Expedia. Four nights there in total. Our time spent in the hotel was limited as we were doing long days out sightseeing, we are (or I am!) a bit messy, however all our hand washing done in the bathroom was neatly hung to air on our return to the room, and my plane ticket no longer needed to be used as a bookmark as I was left a hotel bookmark on top of the novel I was reading on my bedside table. Reading glasses, razors et al were neatly wrapped in face cloths by the sink. On a foray to the gym one morning I must've looked a real slob as I was politely offered a cool refreshing cloth by a staff member who could have been transported from the Peninsula Hotel in Bangkok! Hotel staff were amazingly polite and all seemed proud to be working there. Rooms exceedingly comfortable with relaxing beige hues. Take your gym gear as a cover to use the health club and treat yourself to coffee and fruit afterwards served served next to the pool in the spa! You might even enjoy using the equipment there! Excellent location with the best pizza I have EVER eaten sold next door. Of course the hotel guest demographic can appear generally to be transported out of Imperial India dressed in all their finery, but for this philistine travelling with limited couture and lacking airs and graces to a degree, I was made to feel very welcome indeed!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathan P

Dear Mr. Jonathan P.,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review. I am very pleased to learn you had a chance to experience not only the guestroom and the special touches of our room attendants, but also the refreshments at the poolside. We truly appreciate the kind words and look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed several nights here recently for business - impecable service, I was greeted by name at the door - I dont know how they knew it was me but they did, must be magic. The room was a reasonable size and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in (but I was very jet lagged so I could have slept on the floor quite soundly). The decor was a little dated but good quality and there was a printer/fax/scanner in the desk which was quite handy as it turned out and saved me having to wander down to the business centre.
I didnt like the lack of coffee/tea making facility in the room, I like to be able to make myself a cuppa whenever I like without having to wait for room service and I thought this oversight was rather irritating.
Wifi was ok but was quite slow - didnt have any trouble connecting though.
The lobby restaurant was good for breakfast and lunch but I didnt eat at the other restaurants though. The Bar was pretty lively in the evenings and although most of the time it seemed like I was the youngest person in the hotel by a few decades, the bar at least had a younger crowd and was good for entertaining.
The pool is good and long enough to have a proper swim but while there is steam room there is no sauna and no plunge pool so a bit limited on the whole.
In summary this place was firm five star territory but there were some minor irritations. Location is excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear LostLondon,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago during your recent business travel; we appreciate your kind feedback. We are grateful for your comments on our location, your room and the usefulness of the printer/scanner/fax machine located in the desk. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed The Lobby during your stay, found The Bar to be lively and good for entertaining and had a chance to enjoy the pool in The Spa.

We regret to hear you were disappointed with availability of coffee and tea and our Wi-Fi service. Although we enjoy serving our guests through 24-hour room service and provide complimentary coffee near the front desk until 8:30am and in The Spa until 11:00am every day, we are happy to provide you an in-room coffee maker. If this is an item you would like for your next visit, please let us know of your preference and we would be happy to provide one for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Peninsula Chicago.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

One of my best hotel says ever! Amazing service. Beautiful room. Best hotel gym-I usually don't like hotel gyms but this one is great. The pool area and sun deck are beautiful. Breakfast in the lobby was so good. We ate at Shanghai Terrace twice and loved it. The other restaurant was also good. Everything about this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank momandktravel

Dear Momandktravel,

Thank you for your kind review and taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay at The Peninsula Chicago. We appreciate your generous comments on the service, room and are happy you were able to enjoy The Lobby, Pierrot Gourmet and Shanghai Terrace during your stay! We also are delighted to hear you enjoyed the fitness center, the pool and The Spa terrace. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to The Peninsula Chicago.