“Once in a lifetime!”

The Peninsula Chicago
Ranked #2 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful rooms & cleaned twice daily! Loved having a soaking tub, separate shower, TV & phone in bathroom. I got hotel earlier than expected & room was not ready. I had planned on having tea in Lobby Restaurant, but it was a little too early & hostess did not seem to grasp that I just wanted to get a table & wait for the tea. She seated me @table by the busing area. I ended up getting a glass of wine with fruit & cheese plate. My waiter apologized for where I was seated & even paid for the glass of wine when I explained I had asked to have the afternoon tea but was told it was not time. We did enjoy having the I-pod docking station & free Internet in our room. We were a party of 3 females & had looked forward to using the pool after checking site out, but it was closed our entire stay, 1 reason for not giving 5 stars. They had arranged with a nearby hotel to use their pool, but it was very cold & not very luxurious to have to go outside to another facility to swim. I tried the little restaurant attached to hotel for breakfast on my own the last day, it was superb & I look forward to taking my sister there on my next trip. (The only drawback to it was having to go outside to get to it. I had not worn a coat because I thought there was an entrance inside--they should make that clear in the hotel literature!). Would stay here again if I could afford to, but that probably won't happen unless Orbitz has another good deal!

• Stayed: March 2013
CJ W, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Friend of The Peninsula,

Thank you for staying with us at The Peninsula Chicago and providing feedback on your experience. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the room amenities and cleanliness of the hotel. We apologize for the inconvenience of the pool closure during your stay. We are glad to report the pool is now open and we hope to have you return to experience the pool and upgraded surrounding area during your next stay. We also appreciate your note regarding Pierrot Gourmet’s entrance and, although we do mention the entrance is street level in hotel literature, our staff should have been more helpful in making this clear. We look forward to welcoming you and your sister on your next visit and hope you have a chance to try our macarons – they are a house favorite.

We are also pleased to hear you were able to join us in The Lobby. Our Afternoon Tea seatings are 2:30 pm and 3:00 pm Monday through Saturday and 3:30 pm on Sundays and we offer our apologies that the hostess did not clearly express this to you. Our pastries and tea menu items are prepared fresh before Afternoon Tea service so we apologize we did not have the full service available to you at your earlier arrival.

We are delighted you stayed to enjoy wine with a fruit and a cheese plate and glad to hear your server accommodated your seating to a more preferred location.

Please feel free to contact me directly in the future should you need assistance in making a reservation. Please contact me direct at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com. Thank you.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is rated 5-star, 5-diamond and truly sets the benchmark for customer service. I've stayed at luxury chain resorts such as the Ritz-Carlton and the Four Seasons in many different locations so I tend to be very tough on handing out compliments (given the high rates these resorts charge you expect a certain level of service). The Peninsula Chicago still impressed me through and through despite my already high expectations. From the bellman pulling up curbside to the concierge to room and maid service, they all exceeded my expectations. They certainly are deserving of the 5-star/5-diamond rating and in my opinion should be the standard to be measured against.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Friend of The Peninsula,

We thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago for your recent stay and providing feedback on your experience. Your gracious comments on the service and our 5-star, 5-diamond ratings are appreciated. We hope to continue to be the standard of excellence and are pleased to hear we met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Peninsula Chicago.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My visit to the Peninsula was amazing. From the beautifully appointed art and displays in the lobby to the amazing spacious rooms, my entire weekend was over the top. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. All the meals we had were perfectly prepared ans served with a smile. I highly recommend a stay because words can not express the experience. PS if you want spa services book early.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Koi777,

Thank you for providing your gracious feedback of your experience at The Peninsula Chicago. We are pleased you enjoyed the décor and spacious rooms, as well as the friendly service during your stay. The Peninsula Spa is in high demand so we always recommend to our guests and Spa Members to make reservations in advance. We hope you were able to take advantage of The Peninsula Spa and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Peninsula Chicago soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just returned from two nights at this perfectly placed downtown hotel. Staff was always nearby offering a helping hand or asking how they could make your visit better. Room was sparkling clean with thoughtful amenities throughout. Bathroom was luxurious and I never wanted to leave! Beautiful property, excellent staff and I hope to return again soon.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ThePeninsulaChi, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Friend of The Peninsula,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your gracious feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at The Peninsula Chicago, as well as the friendly staff, spotless rooms, and thoughtful amenities. We enjoyed making your stay memorable and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Went to Chicago for a weekend to celebrate my wife's 40th. The Peninsula was wonderful. From the bell hops and captains to the check-in to the maids to the car service, no detail was overlooked. Our room overlooked Michigan Ave. and was just incredible in every way. Buttons to control everything in the room, a large TV, audio system, huge marble bathroom, incredibly comfortable bed and of course, perfectly located to all of the Magnificent Mile. We did the winter couples retreat which really was quite a nice deal.

Room Tip: Spend a little more for the rooms overlooking Michigan Ave. It's worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ThePeninsulaChi, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Irisharpe,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula as your location for such a wonderful celebration of your wife’s 40th birthday. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your Winter Couple’s Retreat package with The Peninsula Chicago, as well as the friendly greeting and room amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Peninsula soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

First time visitor, for one night as a guest of a local insurance company for a meeting. While the entrance is a bit odd, the greeting is warm & friendly both at street level and once inside the awesome lobby. The room was fee-nom-a-null!! Just getting to play with the command center bedside controlling lights, etc. is just one of many features that makes this a 5 star property. Bathroom is huge with everything expected at this level from towels & slippers to some of the best bath amenities you'll experience.

Meeting space was on par with food & beverage to match the total experience. Staff was WAY attentive and professional.

Would definitely stay again if someone is willing to pay for my room again!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Matt,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Chicago. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your first time experience with The Peninsula Chicago, as well as the friendly welcome and room amenities. We are excited to hear you enjoyed our bedside control panels which made your stay more enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Peninsula soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed 2 nights for business and the hotel is wonderful. The location is great and the rooms are fantastic. MeMe, the concierge was fantastic. She remembered my name after only speaking to me once and her restaurant recommendations were wonderful. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel and definitely will come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business