“Tea at The Peninsula, Chicago”

The Peninsula Chicago
Ranked #2 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My daughter treated me to tea at The Peninsula. We arrived by taxi and the taxi door was opened by the doorman-nice touch! We were escorted to the dining room by another nicely dressed man. Not sure what his title was but it was a nice perk to have him escort us. The dining room is gorgeous with big windows looking out at the Chicago skyline. The hotel itself is beautiful and what we saw of it was very upscale.

Tea was elegant and we were entertained by live music-a violin and cello duet. The sandwiches and desserts were delicious and we had a huge selection of teas to choose from. We also had the champagne. They asked if we wanted a refill of champagne which we did. However, no mention was made that there was an extra charge for a refill. Like $24.00 extra! Ouch. But I guess you don't go to tea at a fancy hotel if you are on a strict budget! Still, it would have been nice for them to mention that little fact.

All in all it was a very pleasant experience and since it was my birthday, I got a complimentary dessert with "Happy Birthday, Carol" written in icing on the plate.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Carol M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,565)

Reviewed August 28, 2012

What a wonderful hotel. The accommodation was roomy, and excellent. customer service and room sservice, magnificent. Robert, the Concierge, could not have been more helpful. a wonderful stay. it certainly had the wow factor for my husnad and I.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

On the whole The Peninsula, Chicago is a nice place to stay. The location is top-notch, the rooms are very good and the public areas are nice. The service is, on the whole, what you would expect from a hotel in its class and price range. However, not always (completely uninterested waiter at breakfast, absent check-in staff on arrival, very tardy bell-hop) which means in my book that The Peninsula Chicago is merely very good and not excellent.

2  Thank dutchguy2
Reviewed August 26, 2012

not much to add to the already positive reviews, what differentiates the outstanding hotels to the good one are those details which makes you feel that everything is done to satisfy the customer and maintain and high level of service, such as:
- excellent room servicing with attentions such as bookmarks added to our books.
- penthouse swimming pool
- professional and kind staff at al floors
- boarding pass printing service

etc..
rooms are very comfy and large, hotel design is classy, dont go there for butique/design type setting. only slight disappointment came from cathering, yummy granola but asian restaurant somewhat disappointing.
hotel is expensive but do get a deal as we did through booking.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had a conference in Chicago so my husband decided to fly out and spend the weekend with me. We have stayed in some gorgeous hotels all over the world and the Peninsula easily rivals any of them!!! My husband checked in without me while I was at a conference event. I fell in love with our room just from the pictures. The room was so beautifully appointed, they thought of EVERYTHING!!! The bed was so lush and confortable, the linens luxurious. There were so many thoughful details in the room. The TV turns towards your bed so you can have full view of the screen from the bed. The desk has everything that you would need to work from the room (including a fax machine). The bathroom was spectacular. The shower was large and had both an overhead spout and a hand held one. The jetted tub was so relaxing. There was a TV mounted on the wall facing the tub. However, I opted to listen to music on the incredible sound system. (controls right on the ledge of tub). The thing that impressed me most about this hotel was the level of service from the room attendants. First of all the room were SPOTLESS at all times. One evening we rushed out to make our dinner reservations and I left some makeup and hairdryer, etc on counter. Upon our return to the room, we discovered that our room attendant had placed a towel on the counter and organized all of my personal effects. It was attentive and not at all intrusive. Each night they also place a mat with slippers by your bed and a bottle of water on your night stand. My husband and I bought a bottle of champagne our first day while we were out shopping and placed it by the ice bucket in the changing area. Upon returning from dinner that evening we discoverd a note propped up on the bottle that said please call EXT. X when you would like this chilled. The next day, after a 30+ mile bike ride, we decided that it would be nice to relax with a glass of bubbly before we showered for dinner. My husband called the number we were given and the champagne was iced upon our return to the room. I would be remiss mot to mention that if you partake of mini bars, you will be delighted to find the selection in your room. Better then any I have ever seen. If you are staying on property, you cannot miss the pool/spa/gym. My husband and I both love to workout. Tis gym had The pool had 4 or 5 small children in their when we went down which was a little annoying (only b/c the point of our weekend was to get away from kids...we have two little minchkins of our own). The rooftop deck is great. There are not many chairs so if you intend on sunbathing, get there early. My only complaint about this area is there didnt seem to be drink service?? I would have loved to enjoy a late afternoon glass of wine. There was an attendant who was taking food orders but he never even approached us. My husband ran to lobby bar to grab drinks for us which we had to put in plastic to take out on deck (really??). Overall, oue experience at the Peninsula was incredible. I would stay here again in a hearbeat the location to shopping, dining, the lake and so many other attractions was great!!

1  Thank rnfirefly
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is the place that was at the top of our "must try" hotels here in town. Usually a bit too rich for my bank account, but we got a really great deal, and jumped at it. You always hear about Peninsula Service, and it's pretty well as advertised. Welcoming, kind employees that really seem to know what you need and want. The room was filled with welcome gifts--fine chocolates, fruits and teas--and a personal greeting card, welcoming us to the hotel. Then more tea came. It was just a beautiful introduction. Bed was beyond comfortable. Beautiful turndown service with slippers on either side of the bed with bottled water. A gorgeous bathroom and dressing area. Beautiful separate living area with an amazing view of the city. An in room sound system that I could connect to my iphone for our own tunes. Sizeable well equipped gym. Stunning pool area. Intimate but inviting outdoor sundeck. I brought gym shoes but forgot workout clothes. They supplied me with new shorts and a tee shirt--and would have given me gym shoes if I needed them. In a word--whoa. Included in our steal of a rate for the junior suite was 3 hours chauffered around Chicago in the house Mini Cooper. But our guy actually fulfilled our request to visit the Baha'i Temple, which is definitely not in Chicago's city limits. He was quick as lightning, and we were back in plenty of time (that Mini needed major work though--that was a seriously bumpy trip). Had lunch once at Shanghai Terrace, and the food was amazing--seriously good.

There were a couple of cons. One is that plugging anything into the bedroom electronic TV armoire basically shut down the tv for the night. It would have been helpful for the gent showing us the room to tell us to avoid using certain outlets in the room. A maintenance guy came up late at night to try to fix this issue, and after working on it for 35 minutes, said he couldn't do it. So someone came the next day and handled it, but it was an inconvenience. Another inconvenience was that we had to reserve that chauffeured Mini for a specific time, down to the minute, and our guy was a half hour late. We still weren't pressed for time at the end, but no one gave us updates--we were just hanging around the front entrance waiting and asking around, and I think that could have been handled better. These inconveniences are probably ridiculous when you get down to it (OOOHHH...your CHAUFFEUR was late???). But at a certain verrry special occasion price point, you honestly expect no hiccups.

Besides those quibbles, the place was fantastic.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

They have a chocolate buffet in the evening at the Lobby,an all you can eat chocolate plus dinner or snack.the tea selection is excellent and the server was really nice to us also a live jazz band,piano,or a string trio plays wonderful music to start the afternoon.

• Stayed: August 2012