“Deserve top ratings!”

Ranked #3 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Toronto
“Deserve top ratings!”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Spent 3 nights in May 2012 in an Executive Suite. We were there to relax and enjoy some of the city's delights. Overall, have to say that this hotel deserves top ratings. There is very little that can be described as deficient.
The public areas of this property is fantastic - grand double story lobby area, with discreet front desk and almost private-like elevator entrance to the rooms. The furnishings in the lobby area and general public areas are of good quality and maintained well (most of the furnishings is now quite a few years old), while the cleanliness is consistent and held to a very high standard.
Our suite was fantastic - not the biggest rooms in the suite but definitely among the most well thought out and designed. Living room, bathroom and bedroom all had large windows with delicious views. The space almost immediately makes you feel at home. Comfortable yet elegant!
The bathroom was beautiful and stunning - lots of room and lots of amenities. Just ask if you need anything else (we did - needed extra shoe horn and a pair of scissors) and they'd get it for you. no questions asked and no changes on our bill.
The bed is great - feels luxurious and easy to fall asleep in.
But the best part of this hotel is the spa, gym and pool - well thought out and well maintained. Not as good as the Peninsula Bangkok spa and gym, but definitely great.
And the staff - professional, courteous, friendly, willing to help and always greet you, regardless of where you are. This high standard of customer service and care makes this property ideal.
Finally, this property is much better maintained, much better organized, and much better facilities than the sister property in NYC.
The only complaint (a small one) is that you have to take one set of elevators to get to the lobby and then walk quite a distance to get the the next set of elevators to get to your room.

Room Tip: The food from the Shanghai Terrance restaurant is way better consumed in the Lobby cafe.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HuarenToronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Polish first
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We were invited to a conference and they recommended The Peninsula to us and its was a Great one! From the start they make you feel very special and welcomed wherever you go.
The staff are professional, rooms very clean and spacious, & restaurants are classy with delicious meals.

2 Thank lumamahdi
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed at The Peninsula from 8-11 May 2012 on my first visit to Chicago. The one memory that I will take away and cherish is the service, especially housekeeping. They come across as truly wanting to make my stay memorable. And they did. On the two days, Anna would come by and ask if we needed anything, When I mentioned the lack of a kettle and coffee mix, she mentioned that such beverages are complimentary throughout the day from room service. Beyond that, she said, if I'd not like to wait, she will do a set up for me. I declined but she kept saying it was not a problem, just in case. On the third day, I asked room service if I could have more bottled water and casually joked that 12 bottles would be about right when the lady asked, then I quickly retracted saying 6. Guess what they brought? 12, just in case.

Another person deserving special mention is the lady at concierge, sorry forgot her name. Also very pleasant was that concierge would print documents, scan the signed copy and email it back for free. No business center to deal with. And at no charge. They also provide an envelope in the room for you to put your onward journey details whereby the concierge will process and print out your boarding pass before you leave. Such a breeze.

Apart from the lack of a fleet of Rolls, this hotel is a definite match to it's mother property in Hong Kong.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank DerekGoh
Waimea, Hawaii
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Stayed for business. This is another great Peninsula property. The staff are well trained and excellent all around- front desk, housekeeping, F&B and Spa. The suite I stayed in was spacious and comfortable. They also have lovely amenities here- a box of Vosges Chocolates for one. The food was pretty good. The location is great.

The only downside was: the room was noisy. NATO was in town so this may have been part of it but it seemed excessively noisy to me- lots of street noise and sirens and I was on the 15th floor. Also, they might be needing some removation soon.

Room Tip: Ask about which rooms are quietest if important to you
1 Thank pkmiles
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I have being charged for two extra nights on my American Express card after checking out, I am in the process of having to prove I left the US on the 17th May and didn't request my room until the 19th. Despite I may add, having the hotel organise the car that took me to the airport. Fortunately Virgin are sending out a proof of travel email, which may be enough coupled with my actual hotel bill. American Express Centurian after much and I mean 20 minutes of threatning to cancel my card gave me a temporary credit. So the moral of my tale is, keep your boarding pass, make sure they don't book extra nights.

In terms of the hotel, it's not Asia. Don't expect HK or Shanghai Service or even close. I've stayed at this Peninsula twice in the last 12 months, Shanghai 3 times, Hong Kong Twice, Beverly Hills once, New York once...this beats BH by a mile where the gym is tiny, not up to NY( which is the best Peninsula in the US, my opinion), not even close to HK and Howard Johnson compared to Shanghai..which I think beats HK..but without the obvious old charm..that one is a personal choice....new Ritz is great too in HK. The gym at the Peninsula is better vs HK Ritz which matters to me but maybe not for someone else, Ritz has coffee machine in the room which is a nice touch at 2am when you can't sleep but don't want to call room service..again, personal choice.

Practical note, when you book a car from the airport expect a charge of $155 plus tip and a 20 minute wait at the side of the road at the airport while the car pulls up. Okay on a nice spring day like the 15th May to the 17th (note 17th not 19th) but requires a hospital visit in Chicago in December.

My next plan if Peninsula Chicago continue to fleece me is to rack up all my bills from the last 12 months from Peninsula hotels and post them to the CEO in HK. Of course, he probably won't care but being Asia he might...

Anyway, keep the boarding and make sure you're checked out.

5 Thank Christian H
Indiana
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed at the Peninsula Chicago for our anniversary last week. We had stayed there once before and now I remember why we loved it so much. The service was out of this world. From the moment we checked in, the staff took care of our every need. We arrived very early and our room was not ready. They upgraded us at no cost to a suite so we could get into our room, so I could get to a meeting I had on time (yes…a little biz before pleasure). The concierge ordered a complimentary wine be sent to our table at dinner, even though we ate at a different hotel. She made the reservations and did a perfect job. She even arranged for complimentary transportation via the hotel Mini Copper. On top of all that, she had monogrammed pillow cases delivered to our room that evening. We also did a couples massage and were extremely impressed. While the massage was very good, for the cost of a massage, the spa facilities are unimpressive. The rooms have more amenities and luxury features than you could possibly list. The turndown service, room service, doorman, concierge, front desk, and EVERYTHING was great. The trip was worth every dime. Keep up the good worth.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Profguy
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Very nice hotel, rooms are jam-packed with amenities and the staff is cordial. A tall male concierge (sorry, can't remember his name but he's gotta be about 6'5") is on top of everything and follows through, no worries.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business