“The Best Hotel Experience in the U.S>”

The Peninsula Chicago
Ranked #3 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Sausalito, California
“The Best Hotel Experience in the U.S>”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

My husband and I loved our stay at The Peninsula in Chicago.
The hotel room was plush, quiet and with an elegant floor plan.
The hotel has excellent restaurants, a cool bar and a great spa with a full-sized lap pool which we used every evening before dinner.
The location is perfect for visiting Chicago and our room was always a tranquil sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of the city.
On our last night we had excellent room service from the Shanghai Terrace; we felt very well taken care of (and had dinner in our pajamas)!
The service at the hotel was top notch, especially housekeeping. They do and excellent turn-down service before bedtime.
Staying at the Peninsula was the best hotel experience we have had in the United States.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tiffany T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Polish first
toronto
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This is an elegant hotel, that certainly is well located. Staff is prompt and friendly, and the rooms are spacious but starting to show age.

Our 3 day stay afforded a number of opportunities for something 'special' but nothing stood out. The hotel is too large for anything personal, and a bit too formulaic for any real magic.

• Stayed August 2011
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I wanted to treat my 20 year old daughter to a gala weekend in Chicago and could not have picked a better hotel than the Peninsula.I had stayed at the Peninsula once before. I was very impressed with this hotel, so I knew we would have a excellent hotel experience ahead of us. And we did as I will explain.
We were lucky to be part of The Tenth Year Anniversary Celebration that the hotel had to offer. This basically was an offer for the first night room rate at full price and then the second night rate at $10 dollars!!! Yes I took the offer!
I had called the hotel for an early check-in. When we arrived we were able to get into our beautiful Delux Suite 3 hours early!!! Upon entering our suite we had a welcome card and assorted fruit and nut tray. After going out for a few hours we returned to a complimentary bottle of fine wine and chocolates.
We had room service twice a day. If you can afford a Delux Suite I would say go for it.We had two queen beds in the bedroom although you can have the choice of a one king bed in this type of suite.This suite also has a pull out bed in the living room if needed . The suite had an luxurious master bath and off the living foyer is a very nice half bath. My daughter said that she would actually love to live in this suite.We did have a small view of Lake Michigan.
The gym on the 20th floor is well equipped with even better views of the city and servral views of Lake Michigan.We did not use the spa but I will on the next visit.
We had afternoon tea in the main restaurant/lobby area both days.The tea selection is over the top as you might expect. We enjoyed the orchid oolong tea with a vanilla -coconut flavor.
Our first night we had dinner in The Shanghi Terrace at 7:30 pm. There were quite a lot of children having dinner before this time. I opted for indoor seating which I felt to be more intimate and quite than outdoor seating. By 7:30 pm most of the children had had their dinner and there were no children seated indoors when we had our very fine 2 and half hour feast on a friday night.. I enjoyed the Crispy Duck as my entree.
One nice feature about our suite is that several side windows could be cracked open a bit letting lake breezes fill the room if you wish..
I had asked my daughter before we left to leave the city if she could think of one flaw that the Peninsula possessed. She said after some thought " No". I totally agreed with her!
Yes, you get what you pay for and more.The more is all the little things that a hotel of this quality does for you. A concierge that I only briefy talked to, and who was not our main concierge, new my name the next day!
I used to be a loyal to The Mandarin Oriental Hotels.I thought they were the best. Now the Peninsula in Chicago is my number one city hotel, by far.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Ted1348
south carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2011

First off, this is a very expensive hotel. No doubt if you are considering staying here, you already know this. For this reason, it seems a little unfair to compare it up against hotels that are charging much less for a nights stay. It never feels quite right to me to expect the same thing out of a Kia as one would out of a Masserati. So...in my review, I'm really only comparing it up against similar hotels who charge fairly handsome prices.

First of all, it's an attractive hotel. Clean, comfortable, great location just around the corner from Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. If shopping is your thing, you won't have far to cart your new treasures. The staff is understandably and appropriately solicitous. And they should be. For the price, an extremely helpful staff in not a nicety, but a given.

We stayed in a one bedroom suite. Obviously, everything was clean and reasonably state of the art. There were many remote control features, my favorite being the television that could be accessed from the bathtub. (The technology was slightly old, but still very nice.) The bed was extremely comfortable, the room reasonably quiet considering it looked out onto the traffic of Michigan Avenue. The hall noise was non-existent.

Room service was quick and efficient, and the food was acceptable, if not mouth-wateringly delicious. My son had high praise for the club sandwich with avocado and egg, but not having tasted it personally, I really can't comment.

We dined at the Michelin Two Stars Avenues restaurant. It is the pride of the Peninsula, and it's a pretty decent restaurant if you enjoy adventurous eating. If not, I'd say skip it. Our bill for three people - this includes four alcoholic beverages - was over $600.00. So...this was a pre-fixe menu, and included roughly eight courses of Very Unique food. Amazing presentation, amazing service...Very Unique food. This is the type of thing one probably encounters on very upscale cooking shows, but rarely encounters in their everyday life. I'm glad I tried it, but a little bit of sea urchin goes a long way. Capiche?

We ate breakfast one morning in the lobby restaurant, and I would have to say that those orders of Eggs Benedict and that bowl of oatmeal were pretty lackluster. I don't mind paying for things if they hold merit, but I don't like to be taken any more than the next person, and the day that a few skimpy plates of eggs and overcooked hash browns combined with a bowl of oatmeal and berries equals out to over $80.00 - well, that's a sad day in my culinary digest. Anyway, the hotel owns a far better breakfast and lunch cafe adjacent to the lower level of the hotel, and it's a much better choice for casual and tasty dining.

So, in closing, the Peninsula is a fine enough hotel, but certainly nothing for bargain hunters. The location is probably it's most pertinent distinction, but clearly it's a top notch hotel as well. Just bring your wallet, and be prepared to use it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank 2Itravel4fun
Earth, Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We had the great pleasure to stay at this really wonderful hotel for 7 nights in July 2011 during a short summer trip to Chicago. I am a big fan of the Peninsula chain of hotels. Having stayed in Peninsula hotels in Bangkok and New York our expectations were somewhat high and the Peninsula Chicago absolutely fulfilled them. The location is one of the best in Chicago right on Michigan Avenue. The lobby and the property are gorgeous. Staff was extremely friendly, professional and welcoming. Our room on the 8th floor looked and smelled like we were the first guests in it. Immaculate clean, no spots, everything as accurate as you would expect it from one of the worlds-best hotel-chains. Housekeeping did a great job twice a day. The room itself was huge, more like a junior-suite in other hotels with a separate dressing-area and a walk in closet. We slept excellent. There was absolute no sound from outside or the other rooms on your floor. There was plenty of storage room and closet space. The marble bathroom absolute perfect and clean. Robes, slippers and the really wonderful Davi bath-products added up to the experience. Our room did not provide much of a view but it was OK for us. A big plus is the location and the Concierge Service. Many thanks to Garry Schneider, one the concierges, who really provided exceptional service and suggested many hidden restaurants and trips of the beaten track. Personally I appreciated the small things that makes this hotel a 5* one: shoe-trees in your shoes after complimentary shoe-shine, collar-sticks with the hotel logo on it in your shirt after laundry and so on. Overall I would highly recommend The Peninsula for your Chicago visit. There is only one small negative to mention: the pool looks much better on the pictures than in nature, but who cares about a pool in Chicago?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank YoshiDus
Opelika Traveler
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This was the first time I've stayed at a Peninsula Hotel and It met my expectations and more. Every staff member from the front desk to houskeeping was obviously extrememly well trained to provide outstanding customer service. While the rate was very pricey, it was worth the money because of the impeccable service.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Westcliffe, Colorado
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My ten-year-old son and I spent a long weekend at the Peninsula as part of an Amtrak trip from our home in Colorado which I promised my son. While we naturally expect superlative service from a five-star hotel, the Peninsula exceeded all of our expectations. All public rooms and guest rooms are immaculate, stylish and graced with fine art. The guest rooms contain suprising high-tech touches allowing one to control lighting, the TVs and radios with a touch of the button. (And no "do not disturb" door hangers: discreet lighting on the exterior doorbell informs staff of one's wishes.) Although we had planned various dining excursions around the city, our first evening meal at the Shanghai Terrace convinced us to stay on premises for most of our meals -- each one at the various dining venues proved to be a memorable masterpiece. The hotel provided special toiletries and welcome snacks for my son, and every staff member we encountered embodied the high level of professionalism the hotel obviously demands. Though the prices reflect the high quality, we considered it a relative bargain considering the fact that this was the finest hotel stay we've encountered anywhere worldwide. I'm anxiously looking forward to sharing the Peninsula with my wife and two older children!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family