Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #38 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 22, 2007

The hotel was very clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The location is excellet. Just a short walk to the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, or to a double decker bus stop. I must say however, that what ever frangrence they are using in the lobby, needs to be toned down - the smell of whatever potpourri that was, took my breath away whenever I walked into the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank murphy3763

Reviewed July 15, 2007

For the price this hotel is great. We parked our car and was able to walk everywhere from Michigan Ave. to Millenium Park in no time(3-20 min.). I'm very picky when it comes to hotels since it's my home away from home so I am pretty hard when it comes to scrutinizing service and overall quality. In short I usually go no lower than 4 stars so I wasn't sure what I was getting into going here. But hey it was an earned gift, so I figured I would give it a shot.
For the money it gets an A+ on all the following:cleanliness, friendly and accomodating staff, and again location.
Good family hotel.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank Bsigirho
Reviewed June 14, 2007

Booked this hotel on the net. I was going to USA the first time to spend some time with my daughter, a freshman over the chrismas hols. When we arrived at the hotel, the bellboy mishandled our luggage and handles came off from our suitcase. All in front of the reception, no staff offered any apology or any solution. Did not bat an eyelid and behaved as if it did not happen. When I asked them about any compensation, well, they told that "mam, you report this and we do a in-house investigation'". Okay but what about my prediacment as I have to travel half the world? The receptionist came with this gem" WELL, MAM, YOU JUST HAVE TO INVEST IN ONE SUITCASE. THERE ARE SO MANY SHOPS NEARBY."

So, the damage took place in front of the reception, within the hotel premises and by hotel employee and THEY NEED A FORM! What for?To have an investigation! Fantastic! And if I broke anything or did any damage to their property, they would charge my credit card immediately. This was actually cheekily told to me by the same receptioinst. No amount of talk made them see any logic and they just kept on throwing the 'HOTEL RULE'" to me.

Well, I had to face lot of hardship moving with broken suitcase, and two young children. Mind it, it is now more than 6 months and not a word from the hotel on my ordeal. Forget about any compensation, not even a word of apology or even an acknowledgemnet of my complaint(sent by email on my return) till date.

I am off- Mariott for life and I think the staff did take some perverse delight in a guest's discomfort.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank soma87
Reviewed May 19, 2007

We stayed at this hotel in room 1301 for 5 nights - Sunday April 8th 2007 arrival and checked out Friday.
The staff were very friendly except for one female night staff member.
When we reserved the room we had the option of feather or foam pillows. We requested foam and received feather. A call was made to the front desk and the pilows were promptly changed.
One of the perks advertised was a daily newspaper deliverd to our door. The first morning we didn't receive a newspaper we were told it was probobly stolen. There was a newspaper at the front desk we could have, so I picked it up. The next morning we again did not receive a newspaper and I was told that the hotel orders the newspapers the month before and they hadn't ordered enough so only reward members received them. A few minutes later a newspaper was then thrown at our door so that the sections seperated. I called the front desk to thank her for the way the newspaper was delivered and I didn't receive a response. We received a newspaper the remaining mornings.
This hotel is advertised as a non-smoking hotel. Our room smelled heavily of smoke so during the day we left the window open to air it out. The stale smoke smell was still just as heavy the day we left.
The "free" breakfast was one of the best we have ever had. There was allot of variety and it was very tastey.
The downtown location was good once you get used to the sirens.
The room rate was very reasonable for Chicago.
Avearge room size and cleanliness.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Happy_Traveller_DO70
Reviewed April 26, 2007

This place is run by Marriott, with whom we've had some poor experiences in the past. The Fairfield Inn & Suites however, proved a very satisfactory place to stay. The location is excellent; a short walk from all the shops and restaurants of the 'Magnificent Mile'. The staff are knowledgeable, courteous and friendly. The is a free internet connection with keyboard and screen in the lobby, which is handy if you don't have your laptop. There is even a printer. A wide choice of breakfast options - porridge, toast, fruit, yogurt, cereal etc. Room pretty bog standard - clean and functional. We were front facing and so there was a bit of noise from emergency vehicles etc, but it became much quieter later on and we slept well. Its not a luxury hotel, but has all the usual services and is good value given the central location.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank V&J2003
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Every single staff member that we came in contact was exceedingly helpful and polite. In most hotels the staff are typically polite because their job depends on it, but this hotel's staff seemed to enjoy their work and it was obvious in their treatment of their guests and easy, friendly manner. The accomodations were clean, the price was reasonable and the hotel is barely 2 blocks from the heart of Michigan Ave and within walking distance of the Navy Pier.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank MHMac7
Reviewed April 17, 2007

This hotel is lovely. Upon arriving, we were greeted outside by the bellperson, who had our bags taken to our room. The front desk personnel were friendly, helpful, and greeted us with a smile.

Upon entering our 4th floor room, we noticed it did not have a rollaway bed, as we requested. We were advised a roll away was not available. We were then advised that we would be transferred to a larger room on the 10th floor. This was great as it had a better view. Additionally, the price stayed the same., no upcharges. The bellperson returned and transferred us to the new location.

Breakfast was delightful, and it was a pleasure going to their breakfast room. We had a choice of hot waffles, eggs, and hot oatmeal. Additionally, they had 3 different juices, toast cereal, fruit, and much more.

The rooms were extremley clean, and the beds were extremely expensive it was the best sleep ever. We received a complimentary newspaper at our door the last day of our stay.

It was a joy to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family