“Good location and Excellent staff”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #39 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I brought a group of about forty people to stay at the Fairfield in July 2013. The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful throughout the trip, a feat considering we were a little needy. They even let us check in early as we had a bus full of people arriving a few hours before the rooms were supposed to be ready. Instead of telling us to simply wait until the actual check-in time, they rushed to get the remaining rooms ready and we were able to get everyone into their rooms right away.

The king suites, they say, can hold 5, but I would really say they hold 4 unless you have a couple people who don't mind getting cozy on the pullout couch. We had an issue at first with one of the queen suites not being able to fit a roll-away inside, however the staff was happy to move us into a slightly larger room and moved all of our bags and the roll-away with it.

The breakfast is kept warm and isn't bad for a hotel breakfast, and the staff is sure to keep everything stocked throughout the morning.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Stefanie K, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for the review and thinking of us for your large group of people. In regards to room capacity, yes, I would agree that 4 people can sleep comfortably in a suite; 2 in the king size bed and 2 on the pull out sofa sleeper. 5 will fit if one person sleeps on a roll-a-way. Our queens can only sleep 2 in the queen size bed. A roll-a-way doesn't fit in the room and is considered a fire hazard. If a roll-a-way is needed, always book a king bedded room. That will better fit you needs. We are also pleased to hear you enjoyed breakfast. We always appreciate feedback. We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 3 nights in July with my mother. It was a great location. I asked for a higher floor and we were in room 1507. This hotel doesn't have the best view due to its height relative to surrounding buildings. However we were able to see a small sliver of the lake between buildings and a pleasant night view. We were directly opposite the elevators which concerned me but it was actually quite quiet. Staff was very helpful always. Free breakfast had some nice touches not usually found ... Nutella yum! Would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. The 15th floor is the highest floor of the hotel and is the only floor with elevated ceilings. You are right, since the hotel is sandwiched between many tall buildings and we are not located directly across from the lake, the view isn't perfect. However, a city view is always fun! We are happy you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to your future visits.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent the last four days at the Fairfield Inn in downtown Chicago. Forty five of us descended on Chicago for a family reunion. We chose the hotel for its price and location. The staff was excellent. We showed up early (10:30am!) and they were able to put us in one of our two rooms. They called us on our cell when the other room was ready. The guys out front were great getting us taxis and offering directions to our different events.
The room was perfect. Bed was comfortable. The AC worked perfectly making for good sleeping conditions.
The location is very convenient to all the attractions such as the Architects tour on the Chicago River, Navy Pier was a 15 min walk and Oak Street Beach is a 15 min walk.
All in all a great reunion and a great location to stay when in Chicago!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. It sounds like you had a fun and successful family reunion in Chicago. We are within walking distance to the boat cruises, Navy Pier, Shopping, Oak Street Beach, North Avenue Beach, and much more! There is no need to drive in Chicago when you can walk everywhere. We also will share the positive comment to our bell staff regarding their friendliness and assistance in hauling a cab and directions. We are lucky to have them on our team. We hope you visit Chicago in the near future when traveling with family or friends!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was almost tempted to give this hotel a three-star review because of how underwhelming the room was, but it really does deserve at least four stars for its excellent customer service alone. When it comes down to basic needs, this hotel does provide everything.

I was in town with a couple of friends for the Pearl Jam show at Wrigley Field and stayed here a couple nights over the weekend. My friend booked the room because he has an inside track with Marriott through his job, which allows him to get an automatic upgrade. Despite the upgrade, though, the room was still extremely small, packing everything into a tight space. In addition to that, it's not the most aesthetically pleasing décor, going for a minimalist, modern type of look. It almost seems a tad too bare bones, though. This is especially considering how much we paid for the room. Next time around, I'll probably try taking a shot at Priceline to get a little more for my money.

The room did contain all the amenities, however, so it had everything we needed. At the end of the day, it serves its purpose, which is essentially a place to rest your head and get a nice shower in the morning. If you're looking to hang out in the room for awhile, especially with a few extra friends, though, it gets a little tight.

The bellhop was extremely friendly and effective at getting our luggage from the car (we had a lot!). He almost seemed surprised when we tipped him, which is sad if people aren't tipping him as much as he deserves.

The staff at the desk was always very helpful and courteous. They were always great about delivering extra towels, but a call in the middle of the night on Saturday for an extra blanket never did materialize.

The complimentary breakfast in the dining room is pretty generous, with a do-it-yourself waffle station, oatmeal, cereal, doughnuts and other pastries. It has all the standard breakfast beverages as well.

The décor of the lobby is certainly interesting, featuring a very modern look that I haven't seen in any other hotel I've stayed at. There are quite a few nooks around to sit and hang out. It was sweltering hot during our stay, so they also had a clear water cooler in the lobby with orange slices floating in the ice water for anyone to walk up and fill up a cup for a quick refresher. Although it was small gesture, it was a nice touch.

The valet service was certainly handy, but just like any other parking in Chicago, a bit pricey.

I also enjoyed the location in downtown in Chicago. It wasn't too far of a walk to the train station, which was our main mode of transportation.

At night, the secure entry was reassuring. After a certain time in the late hours, guests are required to use their room key to get into the building, as well as activating the elevator.

Overall, when it comes to value, the price you pay truly goes into the complimentary breakfast and customer service. The room is definitely as basic as it gets, but it should at least have everything you need.

I would stay here again, but like I said, I might have a run at Priceline next time around to see if I can find a place (whether it's here or at one of their competitors) to see if I can get a little more for less money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LemonyLlama
Janet A, Guest Relations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Hello LemonyLlama,

I would like to thank you for your time in writing this extensive review of our property. I really do appreciate you for doing this. I assure your comments have been passed down to our associates regarding our staff. We truly take pride in making sure our staff gives our guests the best service they can provide on a daily basis and I am glad you were able to experience that. Although our rooms are basic, as you matnioned, the cleanliness level we expect is above average and you were able to experience that as well. Our summer months are our most popular visiting months due to the multiple events througout. On your next visit, I suggest coming between late December thru early March. During those times, we do have lower rates available. If you would like to come during our summer months, I would suggest to book early.

I hope you do get the chance to visit us soon with friend or family.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Wonderful place to stay if you just want a clean, value priced and centrally located hotel. A 20 minute walk to Navy Pier, a block and a half to Michigan Ave. Front desk were so helpful explaining to us how to use public transportation which was new to us. Also one of the few places with a hot breakfast, very important when travelling with kids.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Janet A, Guest Relations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Hello ApplegateAnn,

Thank you so much for your comments! I am happy that you were able to find true value in our hotel as far as price, location and service from our staff. As you mentioned, we are centrally located to all attractions in our wonderful city. I will definately let our front desk staff know you appreciated their help on information about our public transit system.

We really pride ourselves in having a wonderful staff to welcome and help all who set foot in our hotel. We hope that we get to see you and your family again sometime soon!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hotel was clean, spacious, and the staff was very friendly. Hotel was very central to everything. Only problem with the hotel was that the elevators were too slow. but the breakfast was decent, staff very helpful and friendly and everyone greeted you with a smile

Room Tip: get one on the lower floors
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello West-Coast-CDN-Man,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our future guests. I am happy to hear that you were always greeted warmly and found our staff helpful. We really pride ourselves in the service we provide. Thank you for your feedback regarding our elevators as well. We always apreciate and welcome all guest information and ideas to improve our hotel and services.

We look forward to seeing you on your future trips to Chicago.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The staff from the time you arrive are very nice and will help you with anything you might need. It was the very clean. The breakfast was exellent, offering eggs, sausage, waffles, oatmeal, cold cereal, yogurt (Activia), bagels, toast, juices, milk, coffee and fruit. The also served from 6am -10am and kept the food replenished during the entire time. I ate early but went back to get a cup of coffee late and the food still looked great and fresh. A staff member at breakfast even thanked me for coming. I would highly recommend this hotel as it has the best service and it the cleanest one that I have been in awhile. I stay in downtown Chicago on a regular basis but this is the hotel I will be returning to on a regular basis.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Hello Brenda A.,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so pleased to know that you found our staff very nice and willing to help. I will be sure to thank our breakfast staff on your behalf for their service and welcoming attitude. We will not forget to tahnk our hosekeeping staff for the service they provided as well during your visist to Chciago.

I would really like to meet you if we haven't already on your next trip in. Please ask for me by name at the front desk.