“Business trip; two nights - almost perfect”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #43 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Decatur, Indiana
“Business trip; two nights - almost perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The front desk guys and bell hops (are they still called that?) were so fun & full of personality. I'm a smoker so it was nice to know they were there when I'd go out for a cig after dark. The room was very clean and I loved the fun orange colors. My one and only complaint was that no one told me about any complimentary breakfast. I didn't know about it until I was checking out and heard someone else talking about it. Here's it's on a different floor. It would have been so nice to have a free breakfast each morning... Great location to Navy Pier too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Korean first
Big Bend, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel is in a great location in downtown Chicago. It was easy walking to the Magnificent Mile and to the Navy Pier. There were a lot of restaurants very close by to choose from also. The staff was very friendly and the room was cozy and clean. I would suggest getting down to breakfast early, we got down a littley after 9 am on a Saturday morning and the breakfast room was very crowded, there was a long line for the waffles, the coffee pot was empty and there was no place to sit. There was a coffemaker in the room so we just grabbed a few things to eat and headed back to our room. My one big complaint about this location is the difficulty in getting a cab. I would strongly suggest on busy nights like Friday or Saturday to have the front desk arrange for a taxi at the time that you will be needing one. We needed one on the Friday night we were there and it was impossible, the younger guy that was working for the hotel outside tried for over 10 minutes hailing a cab for us. He went inside and one of the older guys working there told us to walk down one of the main roads to try and get a cab. We ended up walking over to Michigan ave and had to go about 3 blocks before being able to find one to take us where we needed to be. It took a little time when we needed a cab to go to the train station the next day also, but it wasn't quite as bad. Overall this is a nice hotel to stay in a great part of Chicago.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip and walked each day to Rehab Institute of Chicago, which was an easy walk. The hotel was clean and comfortable, and the free breakfast and internet were a nice addition. I followed previous reviewer suggestions and requested a corner room on a high floor, which eliminated some of the traffic noise. However, this hotel is near several hospitals so you can expect to hear a lot of ambulances during the night. My one complaint is that the hotel placed a "hold" on my credit card for about $100 more than the total cost of the room. My finances were pretty tight for this trip and I wasn't expecting this, but it was resolved when they did the final check-out. Other than that, everything was fine. This hotel is very close to the Magnificent Mile and is a much better rate than the hotels located right on that busy street. Downtown Chicago is very walk-able so you can take the airport shuttle to the hotel- you don't need a car.

Room Tip: High floor corner room
1 Thank Lisa G
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

The hotel staff was very friendly. The king rooms are small with a little bathroom but the hotel was clean and the location great. Four blocks to the train and two from Michigan Ave. Rate included breakfast. Only issue, 5:30 am trash pick up was not a great way to wake up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the trash dumpster.
Severn, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Not bad for a low budget hotel. I did read the worse reviews prior to visiting. For $109 a night, this place is a steal. Check-in and check -out was quick. My room was a decent size. The bed was clean. The bathroom was clean. The staff were nice and kind. Only suggestions, is the carpet and chair could used a stream cleaning. The radiation had some missing vents and were cracked and the shower faucet was cracked. One review stated that there was a smoke smell coimg out of the radiator. It was explained to me, that it was from the venting system which was shared with a neighboring restaurant. I did experience that for about 2 days out of a 5 night stay. It was only for a few hours and it was a hickory smoked smell during the hours of 6-10. It didn't bother me much. Some guests stated that it was noisy. This is downtown, so that may be a problem for those not used to city sounds, Plus the hotel is near a hospital. However, with the windows closed, it was not bad. As for the continental breakfast, it is what it is, Free! Go early as most showed up during the last hour and sitting is tight. Overall, I would stay here again. Great location, Near the subway and buses plus lots of places to eat at. Next time, I would request the suite as I wanted a fridge and micowave in my room. The photos are accurate. What you see, is want you get.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We are from a college town in Kansas and visiting Chicago was a trip we were so excited about. We do not know the wheres and the hows around town. The day we came, the front desk staff was so helpful providing us leaflets and maps to get to dining places around town. Housekeeping was helpful too and knew the things we needed like bottled water and provided us with these even without asking. We stayed at the 3rd floor and although we wanted to stay in a room facing ontatio street, the room was just fine because the queen bed and pillows are comfortable. Breakfast was good too! I will definitely suggest to friends and family to stay here if ever they visit chicago. Thank you to the entire staff. Our 3 nights and 4 day stay in Chicago was the best in this hotel!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

From check-in to check-out and beyond, our stay at this hotel was easily the best I've had in Chicago, and I've stayed at quite a few hotels in the Windy City, but this location was hands-down the best. The entire staff was very friendly. The rooms were wonderful. The location was great. This hotel experience was better than any other place we've stayed in Chicago. When we needed an extra blanket, security delivered it to our room with a smile and a sense of humor. The front desk even called a cab for us when we weren't even at the hotel. Charles, the concierge, spent time with us to suggest which Italian restaurant to eat at and his advice was spot-on. If Charles is not awarded "Concierge of the Year", it would be a travesty. They held our bags well beyond checkout and let us relax in the breakfast area later in the day so we could have a place to come to while waiting for our late flight out. Breakfast was great. The maids were friendly and accomadating. Everything about this hotel was fantastic. It's easy to see that this location is managed very well. I highly recommend this location to anyone planning a trip to Chicago. We will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple