“Just missed being great”
Review of Taxim

Taxim
Reserve with OpenTable
Taxim is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,096 of 9,668 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Ave.
Transit: CTA bus: 56 Milwaukee, 70 Division, 72 North Blue Line train: Damen or Division stop Cabs are also plentiful in the area.
San Diego, California
“Just missed being great”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

If I could give 3 1/2 stars i would as I was torn between 3 and 4.

The food:
We thought the food was quite tasty. They have many small plates, which we enjoy, making it easy to try a number of dishes. We ordered 4 small plates and 1 main dish and thought all were very good. The only offer Greek wine which wasn't a negative for us but if you require an extensive wine list this isn't the place for you.

Service was definitely spotty. I know that's subjective but we are laid back eaters and don't expect too much from anyone. It definitely took way too long for anyone to even acknowledge that we were seated. After finally getting water, it was another 5 minutes before our waiter finally came over...Definitely not all his fault as he was working hard all night, perhaps they just need more servers. Staff definitely very friendly and were well versed in the menu. Food service was ok. First two small plates came out and then the next two came out....then there was a looong wait in which at one point we wondered if perhaps they hadn't understood that we ordered an entree as well. Finally it arrived and it was very good.

I have never been in a restaurant this loud. We had a table for two and were literally almost shouting at each other in order to hear. We are not old either, lol. Tables are also very close together. However, it is a nice dining room. I just wouldn't go here for a romantic dinner.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank stringman25

chicago/Bali
“What a greek surprise !”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We came for the DJ's (Saturday night) and decided to call ahead and get a reservation to eat before the show... and snag a good table. The 3 salads we ordered (all vegetarian) were good to very good. But the whole Mediterranean Sea Bass was outstanding, and at $32 a relative bargain. Dare I say, it was even more delicious than at Santorini in Greek town.
And then we danced!

• Visited February 2013
Illinois
“Unique & Delicious, if Spendy”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We dined here on a recent Monday night and the dining room was rather empty. On a busier night, I expect the dining room would have been rather loud. But the decor was warm and pleasant, and the copper-clad tabletops added character. Our server was efficient and knowledgeable, and guided us through the menu. We selected a handful of "small plates" which were served tapas style, and each selection was unique and tasty. It seemed everything was house-made with skill and care, and we were very happy with our meal and glass of white wine. But it cost us over $50 each, plus tip, so I have to say that I won't be back for a long while. Nevertheless, I was glad to experience this Greek food that went far beyond the mundane dolmas, etc. that I'd expected.

• Visited January 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Never disappoiinted!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I love this place. I've loved everything I've ever had here, without fail. The owner and staff are great. The staff can easily help you navigate the all-Greek wine list with excellent options at all price levels. The flavor combinations are so unique and delighful. This is SO not Greek Town Greek food: no flaming cheese or "Ohpahs!" to be found!

• Visited December 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Greek food like you've never had before”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I love Taxim -- they make everything from scratch down to the pita bread, and they take Greek food to a level rarely seen in the states. Insane seafood, duck gyros will blow your mind.

Visited July 2012

Been to Taxim? Share your experiences!