“Disappointed with this hotel.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #75 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
portland, oregon
“Disappointed with this hotel.”
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Pros:
1. Good Location - Walking distance to Magnificent Mile, Millenium Park and Navy Pier. There is a water taxi stop close by to take you to Sears Tower.
2. Free breakfast is not bad.
3. Free Internet at Business Center.

Cons:
1. Didn't get the room I reserved. I wanted a room on a high floor, away from the elevator. Didn't get either. Maybe if I complained but that's not the point. Hilton is usually good with reservations. I didn't complain because we had been travelling all day, with a new born and I already carried all the luggage in the room.
2. If you don't pay for valet, you can't go in and out of parking structure. You also have to take 3 different elevators to get from parking to your room. It's not a long walk, but it's an inconvenience if you have alot of luggage and a baby.
3. Cleaning lady didn't clean our room one day. When we asked her what the deal was, she said it's because we had a do not disturb sign on our door and it was too late. Really? We got in late that day so again I was more interested in getting rest for us and baby than to complain. But I did make sure that no matter how late we wake up the next day the cleaning should do her damn job.

I've had some good experiences with Hilton but this is definitely not one of them.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank dmc37

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2010

My mom and I went to Chicago for Mother's day. It was our first time in that great city. I loved the location of the hotel. It was within walking distance of major attractions. The room was decorated very nicely with contemporary furniture. We really enjoyed the full breakfast each morning. The hotel does a happy hour each night. I went one night just to check it out. I had a amaretto sour which was great. The day I was there they did not have much in the way of appetizers. Not sure if this is the norm or not. My mom walks with a cane and the staff was very wonderful and attentive to her.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank auntchele
Albany, New York
Reviewed May 25, 2010

My mother, sister and I recently stayed at the Embassy Lakefront for a little girls-only vacation. I cannot say enough about our experience. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, the pool area and weight room were very nice and the general atmosphere was lovely. The breakfast offered was phenomenal. Omelets were fixed to order, pancakes, warm syrup, fruit, bacon, sausage - plus the regular items you'd find at typical continental breakfasts were all available. I haven't enjoyed such a great breakfast since staying in Quebec (where complimentary breakfasts like this are more common in hotels). The nightly manager's reception was a lot of fun. Even if the line got a little long, it moved quickly and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. That was a great little treat in and of itself.

We had a great deal on Hotwire and weren't sure what to expect since none of us had stayed at the Embassy before but we've already agreed to come back again next year. The location is close to great shopping and restaurants. I can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank Valerae
Hartland, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 12, 2010

We went to Chicago to celebrate my parents anniversary. We had stayed there several times but the rest of my family had not. They were all very happy with the choice. Rooms are spacious and have great views. There is something for everyone at the breakfast buffet. The happy hour is just pretzels and chips but it is a nice spot to relax before heading out for the night. The lines can be very long which is frustrating when they allow only one drink per person [ at a time]. I was most impressed with the complimentary champagne and cheese platter that the management had sent to my parents. Apparently the reservation clerk had heard my father mention the occasion. They were just delighted - it was such a pleasant surprise.. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Roscoe, Illinois
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed at the Embassy Suites for our Anniversary and really were treated fantastic. When we reserved our stay on-line we made note that is was our anniversay. Whe we arrived to check we were greeted by Dinah A. she was fantastic!!! She upgraded us to a beautiful corner room with a wonderful view of the city (our request). To top it off she arranged to have a bottle of wine and a delicious plate of chesse/crackers and fruit to be sent to our room. We just recently celebrated my 50th birthday in Chicago and stayed at a higher end boutique hotel and were not treated as good as we were here! (oh and a fraction of the cost. We only paid $160 V.S. $399 so this was a bargin) The reception hour was very nice also along with the breakfest. The location was also perfect. Not too far from anything. A perfect time...Thanks
P.S. We did go to the pool area and found it dated...just ok. only downfall

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gidget&rocky
St. John's, NL
Reviewed May 5, 2010

I travel extensively for my job. I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel during my 6 day (first time visit) to Chicago. From the moment the airport shuttle dropped me off the staff were nothing but friendly and curteous. there was someone to meet and direct me to the main lobby ( as you have to go up one floor to the lobby from the street). The lady at the front desk was cheerful and was able to give me a room on the top floor with a view of Navy Pier ( after I had explained to her that there were no tall buildings where I come from so I liked being up high!). The front desk was also very helpful in helping me to find shopping and other near by attractions (FYI make sure you check out the grocey store across the street, it's a great little shop!)

The managers recption was a welcome social experience after a hard days work and the staff and bar tenders were very prompt. I never once waited in a line.

The morning breakfast was out of this world! Like nothing I had seen as a complimentary breakfast before, and again, never waited more than 5 minutes in line for a made to order omlette.

On top of all of that the hotel was spotless, the room was quiet and it was like a home away from home. I will most definately be keeping my eye out for more Embassy Suites in my travels.

My one and only complaint was the cost of High Speed in your room. I don't pay 14.95$ for high speed ultra at home for a month, nevermind a day.

Thank you so much to the staff of the Embassy Suites Lakefront, Chicago for making this my best stay ever at a hotel! :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
New Hyde Park, New York
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Stayed at the Embassy Chicago Lakefront for a 3 day weekend with friends. Wanted a room that could accommodate three guys and a location downtown close to restaurants and the CTA trains, and the Embassy fit the bill perfectly!
The hotel is about 4 blocks from the CTA subway Red Line Grand station. Also about a 5 min walk to the Magnificent Mile downtown area. If you're into Sushi, great restaurant just around the corner from the hotel...next to the AMC movie theaters. Navy Pier is about a 10 min walk.
Checking in was a breeze. Very quick and friendly, and got the room I wanted...2 beds and a fold out couch. Room was a good size. Two TVs (LCD in living room area), and three, yes three sinks. Never saw that in a room this size, but was nice to have. Room also had a refrigerator.
Inside the hotel is well kept and clean. The free morning breakfast was great! Saved us time and money. Omelets make to order, pancakes, bacon, cereal, donuts, fruit, juice...everything you need. Line can look a little long at times, but 10 or 15 min wait max...no complaints.
Hotel also had a nice fitness center, pool, and business center. Didn't use the pool...no time. The business center was good to print out maps and boarding passes, but the network seemed very slow. They hotel has WiFi, but they wanted $15 a day which seemed steep to me considering most hotels give that to you now a days. But charging for the WiFi and giving you a great breakfast I guess cancels each other out.
All in all I was very pleased with the Embassy and would stay again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends